m52tu obd-1 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dissembler View Post
    maybe so, but its been done and is commercially available from several companies. I'm not the one flashing out the ews, just paying for it, so what do I care how complicated it is as long as it works?
    You might care about the fact that companies are charging accordingly. Matt can correct me if he wants, but i really doubt he can flash it out.

In fact, I'm not sure that anyone has actually bothered to go through the agony. They've cracked the MS54/MSS54, for which you can pay roughly $3k to get EWS removed. I can't think of anyone who's bothered to crack the MS42/43 rather than going standalone.

The reason for this, I suspect is simple: The M52TU and M54B30 don't offer that much over the M/S5x. Therefore, there's just not as much interest in making the work in oddball applications.

Feel free to prove me wrong. It would be useful to me to know who can flash away EWS for cheap in the MS42. While you're at it, find me a guy who can do it cheap in the MS54.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
      Yea, id agree.

I would go s50 but im not paying anything over 500 for a motor. Im only going to do it if its an outrageously cheap deal. I picked this motor up because the guy was in a bind and had to get rid of it fast- at this point ill just pass it on to someone who can use it.

Oh okay I see now, I was under the impression you had bought a whole car. Try to flip the motor and sell it for 500 or so, pick up a new head and freshen up the m20?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny Cash View Post
        well because it was 250 bucks, and the m20's getting tired.
        :???:
        Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
        You might care about the fact that companies are charging accordingly. Matt can correct me if he wants, but i really doubt he can flash it out.

In fact, I'm not sure that anyone has actually bothered to go through the agony. They've cracked the MS54/MSS54, for which you can pay roughly $3k to get EWS removed. I can't think of anyone who's bothered to crack the MS42/43 rather than going standalone.

The reason for this, I suspect is simple: The M52TU and M54B30 don't offer that much over the M/S5x. Therefore, there's just not as much interest in making the work in oddball applications.

Feel free to prove me wrong. It would be useful to me to know who can flash away EWS for cheap in the MS42. While you're at it, find me a guy who can do it cheap in the MS54.
        Nail meet hammerhead. Oh and when you can get a "plug and play" (OMG) kit for less than I can do an S52 swap for then your talking. But dumping # g's into Bimmerwolds crackpot half assed rigged S54 setup and STILL have to front the costs of the S54 ( along with it's uber sweet rod bearing maint. sched) I will just boost my more reliable American complaint motor

Originally posted by Danny View Post
        Try to flip the motor and sell it for 500 or so, pick up a new head and freshen up the m20?
        Motion carried this thread is adjourned.
        Originally posted by 325Projectz
        don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
        :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Oh okay I see now, I was under the impression you had bought a whole car. Try to flip the motor and sell it for 500 or so, pick up a new head and freshen up the m20?
          thats the plan. but of course if another cheap motor comes around ill be on it. not a car i drive alot so i wouldnt mind taking it off the road a little while.
          -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
          2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
            The reason for this, I suspect is simple: The M52TU and M54B30 don't offer that much over the M/S5x.
            I wouldn't go that far. Problem with the S50/S52 is that the last ones were made 12 years ago. The M54 is at least slightly younger than that and the 330s are starting to find their way to the wrecker more frequently.

I really like my M54.. I'm North of 220rwhp with a massively flat torque curve that makes it perfect as a daily driver. S50 is probably better on the track, but I don't drive on the track.

Plus, it's 50lbs lighter. And it's shinier.

Why bother cracking EWS when you can run it on a 413 ECU and still have variable intake and exhaust VANOS + DISA.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
              I wouldn't go that far. Problem with the S50/S52 is that the last ones were made 12 years ago. The M54 is at least slightly younger than that and the 330s are starting to find their way to the wrecker more frequently.

I really like my M54.. I'm North of 220rwhp with a massively flat torque curve that makes it perfect as a daily driver. S50 is probably better on the track, but I don't drive on the track.

Why bother cracking EWS when you can run it on a 413 ECU and still have variable intake and exhaust VANOS + DISA.
              All good and valid points. I like the all aluminum like the Z engines and the weight reduction. I can see a repeat of 10 years ago when we were all figuring out all this shit to swap a M50 in. Treehouse came in with the adapter and later the booster, some guy started making g260 braces and now here we are doing the same shit. I salute you on your accomplishment, I know what it's like calling every one in the biz trying to figure out a swap that hasn't been done yet.

What all has to be done to keep the ews? Same chip,ring, module above the driver footwell? Or is there more? I hate this route personally after the Z swap I had all that and no start, sent off to bmrwld and fired right up. When EWS can be deleted this will take the place of old tired M50 swaps promise. Haven't had an E46 long enough to rip it apart too much. Did a manual swap though that had some interesting wiring and pins to add in connectors.

Comment

He runs his m54 off a red label 413 ecu. The vanos and DISA is controlled via a standalone unit. So, no ews.

Comment

Is it that easy? The 413 will run it fine? Jay, I have a 413 and a 406 (or maybe 402, would have to look).

Are these earlier ECU's PROM driven?
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    Is it that easy? The 413 will run it fine? Jay, I have a 413 and a 406 (or maybe 402, would have to look).

Are these earlier ECU's PROM driven?
                    The 413 doesn't know the difference. TRM even has an M54 tune for the 413.

I have almost 2 years and 20,000 miles on the motor. It really, really works.

Comment

Well, the minor downside of the M54B30 is it's tendency to shatter oil pumps when used on track. But I do agree that the torque curve is very nice.

Really, though, if I go to a newer engine, it'll be an S54.
                      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

They are "prom" driven as far as i can tell. Similar to the motronic in the e30. I have a silver label dme here also, not sure if its good or not.
                        -Jay

2014 NASA FL se30 champ #81
                        2001 se46 3 year plan in progress

Comment

The 413 doesn't know the difference. TRM even has an M54 tune for the 413.

I have almost 2 years and 20,000 miles on the motor. It really, really works.
                          Hmm... interesting. So you Take a more developed platform and bass ackward it back to OBD1 and use Motec to run a switched vanos. Why even dick with the DISA? I have a 99 323i ( 9/09) and it has a cable. Why not use a 323 T body to get around that?

OP I'm not doggin out your ambition, I just think you are going to find that this will end up costing more than a traditional swap in the short run all while yielding marginal results. A 3.0 M54 and a 2.8 M52tu are quite different. Unless you have a ZHP 3.0/ 3.2 S54 with 6 sp, this is retarded IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          X