Auxiliary fan doing some weird sh*t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auxiliary fan doing some weird sh*t

Alright, so i gotta 16 inch spal to run with my m50 and m42 radiator. I went to wire it into the stock wiring last night. How hard could it be right? i was wrong. I cut the plug off the stock e30 auxiliary fan and it has a black, red and a brown wire. The fan has a black and a red wire. So i connect black to black, red to red and i was left with the brown ( ground wire), so i connected it to the 2 black wires. Then, the shit started arcing .

SO after a long day of pulling and installing the intake manifold, i left the shit alone and went into the ouse.

Am i missing something here? i haven't tried grounding it to the chassis.

there are two speeds for the stock fan driven by 2 relays. It sounds like you connected both of the power ends together and left the ground disconnected.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Connect the black and red wires to the fan positive wire and the brown wire to the fan ground wire. This will run the fan on both speeds (if the resistor is still in place). Hook up the red or black to have it run one speed only.

Comment

I removed the resistor i believe when i took the stock fan out.

Comment

I would just hook it up to the high speed circuit then. You could then jumper the two circuits to have the fan run on high at all times.

Comment

does the radiator fan switch have to plugged in? basically what i'm doing is i want to be able push the "snowflake" a/c button and be able to turn the fan on.

which is the high circuit? also id on't have to wait til the car is fully warm to be able to turn it on right?

Comment

I hooked the red wire to positive on the fan and the grounds and when i push the button the relays click , but nothing happends

Comment

Normal (low) speed kicks on with the AC button

Comment

see it doesn't come on when i push the a/c button. I may just wire up a toggle switch. I have yet to find which one is low and which is high circuit. I wired black and red to the fan positive and brown to fan ground and still nothing.

Comment

ignore my additions to this diagram, but this might help. c113 is where your plug goes

Comment

from the above diagram, the red wire is for the high speed circuit. I would hook this one up to your fan and jumper the high speed and normal speed circuits at the relays to have the fan come on when you push the ac button. The normal speed circuit is only rated for 15A, and I would bet that your fan draws more than this so you probably popped fuse 3. Hooking it up to the 30A high speed circuit will get around this problem.

Comment

How do i jumper them, me and electronics are not the best buddy's lol.

Comment

So basically just look at the color of the wires, and wire it into the high speed only is one way to do it. Personally I would like to have both. How is it working out for you guys that are only running the high speed side? Does your car constantly run hotter? I didn't even think about the amperage draw through the low speed side to wire in an aftermarket fan. Is the resistor on the aux fan or in the wiring? Looking at the diagram it appears to be before C113 so on the fan? I don't have room for my clutch fan so I'm going to run a pusher on the front of the radiator so I'm trying to make sure I have my wiring figured out before I start hacking stuff up. I was just going to cut the plug(C113) off of the aux fan and connect the aftermarket with that.

Comment

How about this to simplify things, using existing circuits.

Comment

The car does not have the resistor guys. I took it off, it's on the stock auxiliary fan.

I just want the damn thing to turn on once i push the button. The car didn't overheat, but it officially ran yesterday, i bled the coolant and let it get to 200 degrees and it stayed there without a fan. I just want the fan for sitting in traffic etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X