No announcement yet.

S50 Reassembled.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I' ve always drilled two tiny holes in my thermostat, one on the top and one on the bottom. Not big enough to effect normal operation but it's made bleeding very easy.

Comment

I'll snap some pictures of the three sensor connections on the back side of the head (under the intake) and let you guys tell me if I have them connected right or not. According to the ETM I do, but, still no temp. gauge and I don't really want to bleed the cooling system without having some idea of where the temp is at while doing so.
      Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Front is Brown/Yellow

Keep in mind, there's 3 plugs on the back of the head. I only have 2, 2 pin connectors. My temp gauge is not working. Stays in the blue.
        Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Weird.

There's a blue temperature sensor for the DME. It's wires are BRN/RED BRN, and it should be the front most sensor. The one in the middle should be replaced with an E30 unit, and should only have one visible pin. This gets connected to the cluster 2-pin plug, which is BRN/YEL BRN/VIO.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
            Weird.

There's a blue temperature sensor for the DME. It's wires are BRN/RED BRN, and it should be the front most sensor. The one in the middle should be replaced with an E30 unit, and should only have one visible pin. This gets connected to the cluster 2-pin plug, which is BRN/YEL BRN/VIO.
            IIRC, the colors do not line up properly. I spent quite a while with the ETM for the '95 E36 S50, but this motor came from a '94 IIRC. Most connectors are correct, but not all.

If I cannot nail it with the ETM, I will do pin to pin at the DME and cluster, or at least C101.

I have to wire the check engine light properly too. Currently it is a light bulb shoved into the harness cover, there is no reason the stock light should not be wired in.

We may end up swapping to the longer harness, this one is really short for the DME. The wiring is not up to my standards, either, so after I do my swap Chris and I will rewire it anyway. I don't like to see the main harness ran through a rubber bellows that has been cut and wire tied.

Now I gotta get hold of Japandrew, get me some BMW tape!

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Weird. In the absence of wiring colors, the blue taped connector goes to the blue DME sensor.

The other one goes to an E30 gauge sensor.

Originally posted by whysimon
              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                Weird. In the absence of wiring colors, the blue taped connector goes to the blue DME sensor.

The other one goes to an E30 gauge sensor.
                Tried it both ways, but yeah, blue sensor is DME from what I can tell. I left the wire with the blue tape on it to the DME sensor.

'tis weird, agreed. This car has always thrown codes, every since the swap. Something is wrong, and we lost the codes.

I am gonna look at a couple of other 24V cars harnesses, see if I can find a better match for colors.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Did some playing around one hour before I had to be at work including the 18 minute drive and managed to get the temp gauge working and the coolant system bled. Drove it around at operating temperature for 10 minutes and then hit the road for work. Performed flawlessly.

It's alive.
                  Need a part? PM me.

Comment

Good to hear man. It's finally fucking over.

Comment

Meh, around two weeks off the road isn't bad for rebuilding almost the entire head. First S50 I've worked on also. Luke was an indispensable help and it was a fun learning experience, despite the bullshit surrounding the whole engine.

Good stuff. Glad it's running. It smells like butthole. Still running a bit rich also but, still I can figure out over the next couple of weeks WHILE DRIVING IT.
                      Need a part? PM me.

Comment

M42 radiators are harder to bleed than separate M20 overflow's. The M20 overflow on the fender is the highest point in the cooling system when used there.

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Working...
                        X