Exhaust question for S52 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question for S52 swap

First of all i'd like to thank you in advance for all the help i get.

I searched the net for answers but:
    1. I found very little about my dilemma
    2. I trust the pros here more

I don't know which header to use for the S52. Looks like most of the people use the long headers but for example Turner sells shorties for the swap.
    I also saw that people have problems fitting the long headers because it interferes with the engine mount arm or the lollipop at the control arm.

Can you guys tell me the cons and pros?

I read an article about headers and it said that long headers give you more low and mid range torque but shorties can be better for high revs because they are made of bigger diameter pipes. I check pictures of both but they seemed to be the same diameter.

Personally, I could not spend the money they want for the TMS Shorties. The trouble you will have with the long tube headers are well worth the $200.

When I did my build everyone said buy the ebay headers. I heard they sounded raspy and I did not want that. Instead I bought the Raceland units knowing they were a PIA to install. They were every bit as difficult to install as I had heard, but the sound and performance of the units makes up for the other issues. I used the money saved and upgraded other items people skimp on, like a Stewart water pump...etc

If money is not a concern, you can certainly run the TMS. I believe there are a few people here that have them and are quite happy.

At the end of the day it's about what you want to do.
    Originally posted by blunttech
    Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

TMS headers are pricey for sure but i saw shorties on ebay and they are a bit cheaper then long headers. what problems did you have with the raceland one?

Comment

My S52 has ebay headers. I had to have the O2 bungs modified to lean a little more for header and firewall clearance but they clear teh lollipop and subframe fine ATM. Now ehn I swap out the Revshift motor mounts I suspect are taller than the E28 M5 trap mounts I may have some issues. Time will tell, 328ijunkie sent my mounts out yesterday.
        Originally posted by 325Projectz
        don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
        :nice:

Comment

i will use e28 m5 mounts so that won't be an issue i guess.
          my other concern is the sound. i don't want any raspy noise.
          i was also thinking about using the factory e36 m3 exhaust. anybody has any experience with that?

Comment

Originally posted by treff-7 View Post
            i will use e28 m5 mounts so that won't be an issue i guess.
            my other concern is the sound. i don't want any raspy noise.
            i was also thinking about using the factory e36 m3 exhaust. anybody has any experience with that?
            Not yet! but that's the plan.... If you can wait a while my swap should be done 03/2035

Comment

You could always use the S52 headers and weld up the secondary air pump channels.
              -tim
              Originally posted by Jordan
              I like the stance
              -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

My buddy & I both have raceland header. SO WORTH IT! didn't have any problems at all, just had a custom weld done & boom, a nice sounding set of strong headers. If you get a different control arm mounts you can clear without custom weld

Comment

I have the raceland headers that are heat wrapped on my s52 swapped e30 m3 still in progress and they are resting on the sway bar / I had to drop the swap bar to fit them. I have treehouse lollipops, they wouldn't clear without those or a little "massaging", but I'm still not sure what to do about my sway bar. I might massage the headers a little so I can bolt it back up, but again mine are heat wrapped so that extra padding isn't helping... some of it may have to go. Just my experience so far.
                  (oo=[][]=oo)
                  Web Design PNW

Comment

Originally posted by r4esh View Post
                    I have the raceland headers that are heat wrapped on my s52 swapped e30 m3 still in progress and they are resting on the sway bar / I had to drop the swap bar to fit them. I have treehouse lollipops, they wouldn't clear without those or a little "massaging", but I'm still not sure what to do about my sway bar. I might massage the headers a little so I can bolt it back up, but again mine are heat wrapped so that extra padding isn't helping... some of it may have to go. Just my experience so far.
                    You mean subframe? I can't visualize how they would interfere with the sway bar......

Comment

No, the swaybar is the problem with mine as well. The subrame sits lower than the swaybar, and is located more on the slope of the exhaust. Whereas the swaybar takes up space just before the down slope levels out.
                      -tim
                      Originally posted by Jordan
                      I like the stance
                      -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Spacers can be added to the center swaybar mounts to drop the center section of the swaybar.

m

Comment

Originally posted by 7pilot View Post
                          Spacers can be added to the center swaybar mounts to drop the center section of the swaybar.

m
                          I have a set of these spacers if anyone wants to buy them. I don't need them since I went with Ebay headers instead of the Racelands. PM me if anyone is interested. I bought them for $80 plus shipping from Kaliboy and I'll let them go for the same amount since I didn't use them.
                          1989 US E30 Cammed S52
                          Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Philo View Post
                            You could always use the S52 headers and weld up the secondary air pump channels.
                            This is what I did and would recommend. No fitment issues, no rasp, no risk of rusting through, relatively cheap.
                            S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
                            What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
                            Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Lof8 View Post
                              This is what I did and would recommend. No fitment issues, no rasp, no risk of rusting through, relatively cheap.
                              Yep, and you don't lose power, either (maybe a few hp)

Comment

Working...
                              X