X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    Hard to say conclusively, thus why OBD1 sucks. No data feedback. could be plugs/coils/vac leak/exhaust leak before O2, etc...
    Ok, stupid, basic question... Lets ignore the possibility of leaks, what can I test/ check on the the ignition related stuff to make sure they are proper and correct?

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    haha yes, definitely yes. but is it all in the tune?

any other way to fix this? is there any possibility that my old igntion coils need to be replaced??

ps. Ive really been considering going to OBD2 once this is all done, but thats a lot of work for what is probably a little gain
    Hard to say conclusively, thus why OBD1 sucks. No data feedback. could be plugs/coils/vac leak/exhaust leak before O2, etc...

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    too rich :P
    haha yes, definitely yes. but is it all in the tune?

any other way to fix this? is there any possibility that my old igntion coils need to be replaced??

ps. Ive really been considering going to OBD2 once this is all done, but thats a lot of work for what is probably a little gain

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    too rich :P

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
    Your car is being tested as an M50? The cat your using is for an M50? I wonder if maybe the cat you're using isn't enough for your larger, higher output engine.

Is there a difference between an S50B30US cat and an M50B25 cat? The whole exhaust has a different part number, but I wonder if the cats themselves are different. Both engines I know have the same smog limits.
    I thought the Magnaflow parts were the same, but I looked it up and the S50 is individual cats while the M50 is a dual in and out

Leave a comment:

• earthwormjim
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Its OBD1 so theres just one, and its now ~10months old. Its a new Bosch unit that I installed right before I started this fun process

Its really not that different from stock. The only aftermarket part is the tune. I am kinda wishing I had gotten a WAR chip because then I couldve gotten this tuned directly to the car, but listening to members here over my mechanic lead me to a TRM chip thats tuned for my setup. They've been helpful and sent me another chip, Im in contact with them now to see if they can make a few more adjustments to get me in the sweet spot.

Im wondering if I shouldve some more miles on the new cat, because it had ~ 40 miles on it... again, another recommendation here was to get the new cat and go straight to the ref. Even he said, that I shouldve driven it a little more, but Im clueless to this stuff.

Is there anything ignition related that could help? Does the cat need more miles? The car was at rest again for a while, but he did go through the 15mph test, then he stopped and let it reset the clock and tested it again at 15mph
    Your car is being tested as an M50? The cat your using is for an M50? I wonder if maybe the cat you're using isn't enough for your larger, higher output engine.

Is there a difference between an S50B30US cat and an M50B25 cat? The whole exhaust has a different part number, but I wonder if the cats themselves are different. Both engines I know have the same smog limits.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
    Are your O2 sensors fairly new?

Your engine is pretty far from stock, what tune are you using? Maybe too rich?

Normally if it was just from your cats not being hot enough, you'd still pass the 25mph test. But you failed both tests...
    Its OBD1 so theres just one, and its now ~10months old. Its a new Bosch unit that I installed right before I started this fun process

Its really not that different from stock. The only aftermarket part is the tune. I am kinda wishing I had gotten a WAR chip because then I couldve gotten this tuned directly to the car, but listening to members here over my mechanic lead me to a TRM chip thats tuned for my setup. They've been helpful and sent me another chip, Im in contact with them now to see if they can make a few more adjustments to get me in the sweet spot.

Im wondering if I shouldve some more miles on the new cat, because it had ~ 40 miles on it... again, another recommendation here was to get the new cat and go straight to the ref. Even he said, that I shouldve driven it a little more, but Im clueless to this stuff.

Is there anything ignition related that could help? Does the cat need more miles? The car was at rest again for a while, but he did go through the 15mph test, then he stopped and let it reset the clock and tested it again at 15mph

Leave a comment:

• earthwormjim
    replied
    Are your O2 sensors fairly new?

Your engine is pretty far from stock, what tune are you using? Maybe too rich?

Normally if it was just from your cats not being hot enough, you'd still pass the 25mph test. But you failed both tests...

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    bump... any ideas ????

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    ***cross post from my cars thread***

Well, I still didnt pass but the new Magnaflow cat made a HUGE difference. NOx are not an issue anymore, now its just figuring out the HC issue. Im starting to wonder if replacing the coils will help because it seems like its not burning the mixture enough, or theres still just too much fuel.<br />

<br />

Im also wondering if the thermostat might not be the right one (though I think we stuck with the original OEM temp) and its not letting the car get truly hot enough.

Still not a victory, but we are making good solid progress, which is more than what I can say about the previous times I went to the ref.
    Last edited by 2mAn; 08-23-2016, 04:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• arch4ngel
    replied
    Read the build thread in my sig, all the info is in there.
    You need to use all the emissions equipment, plumbing exhaust etc. from an obd2 e36.

Leave a comment:

• clavinZERO
    replied
    Woot!

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    You're not that far from me. What say we meet up some afternoon? I'd love to see your car. Lunch and beer on me, of course.

Sean

Leave a comment:

• clavinZERO
    replied
    I am in the process of completing this myself. I will be posting a big thread one of these days with photo details, just as I have done with my 5 lug swap documentation.

Once I get the fuel pressure switch and carbon canister mounted in/near trunk, I will see the BAR.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    You would need to do everything that MrGreen did

Leave a comment:

Working...
X