Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean S.
    replied
    I used a KnN e36 conical filter attached directly to the AFM from the s52. Gotta have the CARB sticker or you will not pass. I printed the exact reference description for the applicable CARB number as well so the ref didn't have to go looking (and potentially get wrong info). Once he verified the sticker number applied to the year of engine, he didn't really say anything else about it. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bradmer
    replied
    Originally posted by fastestbox View Post
    What airbox are you OBDII guys running to pass BAR? The Z3 one I have doesn't seem to fit at all and I really don't want to move the ABS module. I know there's CARB certified airboxes for e36 that may work, but since I'm BARing mine as a Z3, I don't believe I can use them.

Rogue Engineering sells it,
    http://www.rogueengineering.com/

ECIS-INT1998-2000 M Coupe/Roadster ECIS Cold Air Intake

I have a Z3M motor in my 87, I am close to passing and have had this CAI already approved by the ref. Comes with a sticker and heat shield you need to customize.

Leave a comment:

• fastestbox
    replied
    What airbox are you OBDII guys running to pass BAR? The Z3 one I have doesn't seem to fit at all and I really don't want to move the ABS module. I know there's CARB certified airboxes for e36 that may work, but since I'm BARing mine as a Z3, I don't believe I can use them.

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    Finally!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    Well, technically, I passed ... But even after supplying the title to the donor car and showing the inspector that the VINs all match, I still have to go get a letter from a BMW dealership stating that the ECU has not been altered.

So close, but no BAR sticker!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• raj
    replied
    I was allowed to watch and even fielded questions the first time. The second time I was asked to sit outside the bay with the rollers but could still watch.

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    At the smog ref right now. Is it normal for them to refuse to let you watch what they are doing? I mean, I sort of get it; don't want to give any secrets away [emoji38], but I can't even be in the vicinity of the car?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• raj
    replied
    Originally posted by bradmer View Post
    Would you mind posting the chassis and motor details of your swap?
    Thank you!
    Sure thing…

Chassis: 87 325iS
    Motor: S50 US. Stock headers and mid pipe. New Walker cats. 21.5lb injectors, stock MAF, TRM tune. Castro airbox.

Leave a comment:

• bradmer
    replied
    Originally posted by raj View Post
    I went back to the ref today… and left with a sticker! Notes from the second time around:
    - I was failing before for very high HC and slightly over max NOX.
    - Since the last time, I replaced the cats with new Walker CalCats, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the plugs.
    - I still was close to the max on HC (78/93)
    - The referee was the same one who inspected the car previously. Since nothing changed, the visual inspection went a lot faster, but he did check.
    - I ran the car HARD before I showed up (multiple high RPM pulls), and he put it on the rollers pretty soon after my arrival. I think this was a contributing factor last time, since the car sat for 30+ minutes while they got set up. This time it was more like 20, and most of that time it was idling.
    - They install the sticker in a permanent location on the body. He originally went for the engine bay, but I preferred the passenger's door jamb, so he obliged.

Next I need to get plates, but the hard part is done! Super relieved this process is over with.
    Congratulations raj! Great job!

Would you mind posting the chassis and motor details of your swap?
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• raj
    replied
    I went back to the ref today… and left with a sticker! Notes from the second time around:
    - I was failing before for very high HC and slightly over max NOX.
    - Since the last time, I replaced the cats with new Walker CalCats, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the plugs.
    - I still was close to the max on HC (78/93)
    - The referee was the same one who inspected the car previously. Since nothing changed, the visual inspection went a lot faster, but he did check.
    - I ran the car HARD before I showed up (multiple high RPM pulls), and he put it on the rollers pretty soon after my arrival. I think this was a contributing factor last time, since the car sat for 30+ minutes while they got set up. This time it was more like 20, and most of that time it was idling.
    - They install the sticker in a permanent location on the body. He originally went for the engine bay, but I preferred the passenger's door jamb, so he obliged.

Next I need to get plates, but the hard part is done! Super relieved this process is over with.

Leave a comment:

• herbie
    replied
    Sorry, wrong thread. this is M50/52, please disregard.

Hi guys,

So I am in the process of trying to make my M20B25 swapped early 318i BAR'd. Currently, it is running on Bosch 380 and naturally, it doesn't have a Check engine light.

1.) Would swapping a 173 DME allow me to be able to read codes via the C101 connector and not just through the stomp test? In case it is required for smog.

2.) How do I go about adding a check engine light? from research, it's installing a light and wiring the hot to a switched 12v and grounding it to the DME. Can I simply tap into the wire the connects to the DME? if so, which wire? is it the gray wire?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, wrong thread. this is M50/52, please disregard.

Leave a comment:

• bradmer
    replied
    Originally posted by svn2002s View Post
    Starting my OBD2 conversion (99 S52). Got a couple of questions regarding BAR requirements. When I got the engine I did not get any of the SAP stuff. So I don't know what I am missing yet and totally lost in this area. Hopefully that is the right diagram.
    Visit https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?vin=LC89094 and punch in your vin for the right diagram.

1- The TB has two inlets for coolant hoses, one coming from the head and the other from the metal pipe. Since I will remove the one attached at the head for the temp switch, is it ok to put a T on the other hose and feed both inlets to the TB?
    Yes, I put a T and it passed.

2- Keep the Secondary air injection pump and SAP from the S52 all the way to the intake manifold (Pump, electronic switch and valve). Just the way it comes on the s52.
    Yes

3- Where does the intake hose (suction hose per realoem) goes. Don't see any inlets in the intake manifold.
    ICV under intake IIRC, clean ICV prior to install.
    Trunk mounted evap.

Good luck

Leave a comment:

• bradmer
    replied
    Went back in last week, results.

- The evap sensor needs to be set to ready, currently it is not.
    solution, I shipped the ecu to Markert Motorworks today, he has been most gracious in helping me to get the ecu compliant.

Something didn't take on the ecu, I still have to set the evap as well as the 02 sensor to ready. Communicating with MM to resolve.

- A code 10 that appears to be an air conditioning fault code. I searched the BAR site and found nothing stated about having the air conditioning operational, only emissions.
    solution, I contacted the referee, his response is that if it is just an ac thing it should be fine. I have asked for help from Dave Markert on this, hoping he can delete the air conditioning which would eliminate the code 10 fault next time at the BAR. I have all of the ac stuff but would rather not go there now.

The code 10 fault was resolved by MM on the ecu and I can confirm that it is not required to have the ac system operational to pass BAR.

- high HC numbers
    solution, I'm hoping that by having the injectors cleaned that it will cure this issue.

Before the next visit I'm installing new spark plugs, cleaning the air filter and changing the engine oil.

I still have high HC on the 25 mph test, even higher than the last visit. It was suggested the culprit could be a small air leak, performing smoke test to check. Passed the 15 mph test.

Any input appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• svn2002s
    replied
    Starting my OBD2 conversion (99 S52). Got a couple of questions regarding BAR requirements. When I got the engine I did not get any of the SAP stuff. So I don't know what I am missing yet and totally lost in this area. Hopefully that is the right diagram.

1- The TB has two inlets for coolant hoses, one coming from the head and the other from the metal pipe. Since I will remove the one attached at the head for the temp switch, is it ok to put a T on the other hose and feed both inlets to the TB?

2- Keep the Secondary air injection pump and SAP from the S52 all the way to the intake manifold (Pump, electronic switch and valve). Just the way it comes on the s52.

3- Where does the intake hose (suction hose per realoem) goes. Don't see any inlets in the intake manifold.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Something like that will be quite a chore!... Good luck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X