Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean S.
    replied
    So, collectively, do those of you who have done this swap and kept it CA legal think it is doable with the 97, or would I be better off to keep looking for a 95?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    Originally posted by kronus View Post
    '95 is going to be the only year that is significantly easier than everything else.
    That's what I thought, but is that just due to the air pump set up? I'm thinking I could relocate the battery to the trunk this giving me a place to mount the pump in the engine bay. Is there anything else that would be difficult to swap over?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    '95 is going to be the only year that is significantly easier than everything else.

Leave a comment:

• Sean S.
    replied
    Just as an "am I going in the right direction?" question; I am looking at a 97 M3 and can potentially make a deal for the entire car. Would this be a good candidate for a swap over to my 88 convertible? Would the extra smog shit (air pump, etc) make it more difficult than another model year of donor car?

Thanks,
    Sean

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick610s View Post
    Maybe I haven't read enough yet, are the refs checking motor numbers to verify what the motor actually is? or can you just tell them its an M50, even though you may have an M52 in there with an m50 intake. or are they savy enough to recognize the vanos actuator on the m52.
    Originally posted by 36brua View Post
    Hmmm interesting question. Why don't you do the swap and report back with results and refs comments
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    2man tried to BAR his m52 swap as an m50 and it was apparently a huge pain in the ass, more of a pain in the ass than swapping back to an m52 manifold for BAR
    But wasn't he using used cats....
    He also never got the car passed the bar...
    Hi Guys.

Let me clear this up...

I had a M52 with M50 manifold, S52 cams, 21.5# Injectors, OBD1 TRM Tune.

I started with a stock M50 downpipe with ~150k, then to a slightly modified (just to work on OBD1) S52 downpipe then finally brand new Magnaflow CA legal cats. The tune also changed a few times....

I blame 2 things for my car not passing:

#1 I shouldve listened to my mechanic and bought a WAR chip so he couldve created 2 tunes for me, a SMOG tune and a performance tune. I didnt listen and bought off the shelf chips for my modified car.

#2 The ref would let the car sit for 20-30 minutes when I would arrive, so the cats were never really warm enough, and combined with #1 this resulted in it not passing the tailpipe emissions test and No BAR sticker.

To answer your questions, he never checked the engine. I showed him the VIN sticker on the ECU and we went based off that, but your results may vary. The closer to stock the car and motor are, the easier it should be. Mine was quite a big off of what a stock M50 was so it made my life harder.

It all depends on what you are starting with and what resources you have to accomplish the swap. Parts car on hand is the most ideal start. I had none of that.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    paging 2man lol

Leave a comment:

• 36brua
    replied
    2man tried to BAR his m52 swap as an m50 and it was apparently a huge pain in the ass, more of a pain in the ass than swapping back to an m52 manifold for BAR
    Last edited by 36brua; 06-29-2018, 09:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 36brua
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick610s View Post
    Maybe I haven't read enough yet, are the refs checking motor numbers to verify what the motor actually is? or can you just tell them its an M50, even though you may have an M52 in there with an m50 intake. or are they savy enough to recognize the vanos actuator on the m52.
    Hmmm interesting question. Why don't you do the swap and report back with results and refs comments

Leave a comment:

• Nick610s
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by SnowB0und View Post
    Got my sticker!

I went to Vallejo.

The guy said, hook everything up, make it look clean, new catalytic converters and you will pass.
    congrats! Shouldnt be too hard right? lol famous last words

Leave a comment:

• SnowB0und
    replied
    Got my sticker!

^awesome to hear! What station did you go to?
    I went to Vallejo.

The guy said, hook everything up, make it look clean, new catalytic converters and you will pass.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    no

Leave a comment:

• E30335i
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRob View Post
    Just to reiterate the validity of what kronus said, this is from the BAR website. Note the 95 and older model year does not require an EO, provided emissions controls are still functioning. So, don't touch anything after the MAF and you're good. If its obd2 (1996 and newer) you have to have a CARB/EO number.

So to get off topic a little bit, if your smogging your m20, would a cone filter fail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TheRob
    replied
    Just to reiterate the validity of what kronus said, this is from the BAR website. Note the 95 and older model year does not require an EO, provided emissions controls are still functioning. So, don't touch anything after the MAF and you're good. If its obd2 (1996 and newer) you have to have a CARB/EO number.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X