CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    Ninja Edit. I shouldnt write that in black and white. EPA come kick my ass.
    :up:
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Just as a data point, I just got my S54 swap into a 95 obd1 M3 through BAR, and I think most of what I did can be duplicated on an e30. I'll be writing the swap up this coming week, but its doable.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

So, after 10 months of trying (5 Ref apts), I finally passed this week! Completely Legit M52 OBD2 swap. Here's what I did to pass:

All OBD2 smog items needed:
        -Fuel Pressure Sensor (off evap gas tank)
        -Evap Charcoal Canister (in trunk)
        -16pin OBD2 diagnostic plug under dash
        -Markert Motor Works added plugs for the above (from 328i body harness) to the M52 engine harness with extra long wire so they could extend to trunk, dash, and gas tank area. Also did my tune remotely via my laptop. Very very cool and helpful!
        -stock air box would not fit so I got a Rogue Eng Air intake
        -completely stock exhaust except bent to clear subframe is ok. After post cat O2 sensors you can use your e30 stock catback. That's what I did. Here's what it looked like before I had to change out the bad stock cats with the Magnaflow universal cats:

The used e36 cats I purchased went bad so I had to get CARB approved Universal Magnaflow cats (2ea) welded in. The weird part was that I had to have the exhaust hang down a bit lower to make sure the post Cat O2s clear the underbody. The ref failed me once because I had my O2s enter post cat from a horizontal position. Apparently CA wants EVERYTHING to match exactly though they were ok with bent down pipes. Once I put the post cat O2s vertical in the stock position, they were cleared. I don't think normal smog checks will be this anal.

I highly recommend that you get a code reader and 20 pin adapter:

I used the iPhone app OBD Fusion. Here's what my app looked like when I passed:

No CEL:

Monitors Ready:

I almost gave up multiple times and I seriously could not have done this with out Dave of Markert (did a tone of work on my harness and tune and put up with all my lack of general knowledge or car common sense) or arch4ngel (walked me through the FPS and charcoal canister which were crucial to CA Smog).

So excited to be done!

Comment

Good work on follow through for obd 2 install. Nice to have BAR legal^^^
          My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Originally posted by MrGreen View Post

So excited to be done!
            CONGRATS JEFF!!

Cant wait to say this myself, I need to schedule my appt soon. This will be my third time going to the ref but only my second test. Fingers crossed.
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Just picked up an e30 and I am interested in s52 to OBD1 swap to get it BAR'd as a 1995 S50 M3. I've been following up on other BAR'd "1995 S52" swaps and the OPs never mention what they told the REF when asked or to produce paper work what donor car the motor came from. I know they wont be able to see that it's an s52 block with all the other components in the way but what advice or what should I tell them when I buy an s52 from ebay/shop/junkyard but want to tell them it's a '95 s50 (has the s50 intake manifold and valve cover, etc).
                IG: Dhithim
                2015 Subaru BRZ 380whp
                My '87 Project
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=382462

Comment

Originally posted by dhithim View Post
                  Just picked up an e30 and I am interested in s52 to OBD1 swap to get it BAR'd as a 1995 S50 M3. I've been following up on other BAR'd "1995 S52" swaps and the OPs never mention what they told the REF when asked or to produce paper work what donor car the motor came from. I know they wont be able to see that it's an s52 block with all the other components in the way but what advice or what should I tell them when I buy an s52 from ebay/shop/junkyard but want to tell them it's a '95 s50 (has the s50 intake manifold and valve cover, etc).
                  I think the 1995 S50 uses a DME specific to that year. so vin # on DME label would need to be for a '95 S50.
                  not the more available 'red label 413' ??
                  My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Why not keep it OBD2 ;)

Check Us out on Facebook
                    Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                    Full Product Line Tuning
                    OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
                      I think the 1995 S50 uses a DME specific to that year. so vin # on DME label would need to be for a '95 S50.
                      not the more available 'red label 413' ??
                      LOL I spent hours last night looking for a 506 ECU. Seems to be the hardest part is finding the ECU for an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=251231

This guy used a TRM ECU though but his Ref didn't check the ECU.

Why not keep it OBD2 ;)
                      Based on past OBD1 vehicles I've owned and from research. it seems to be that OBD1 is easier to ref (kind of) and pass smog once BAR'd. Easier to run after market parts or mods without throwing a code and also pass emissions with OBD1. But I could be wrong.
                      2015 Subaru BRZ 380whp
                      My '87 Project

Comment

Originally posted by dhithim View Post
                        Based on past OBD1 vehicles I've owned and from research. it seems to be that OBD1 is easier to ref (kind of) and pass smog once BAR'd. Easier to run after market parts or mods without throwing a code and also pass emissions with OBD1. But I could be wrong.
                        Its a smidgen easier to bar but more difficult because you have to deal with them potentially catching on its an S52 running OBD1. Wrong ECU and whatnot. OBD2 is more mod friendly and easier to tune than OBD1. Mr. Green had no problems passing once he got a good set of cats in there and im able to remotely flash his car for revisions anytime he decides to upgrade stuff once he got through BAR.

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Now that I'm done, I'd totally recommend sticking with OBD2. If it throws a code, it's so much easier to locate and fix. Much better tuning options too.

My biggest stressor doing this was sap, the cc, and fps. I was worried that these would throw codes very easily. Not the case for me. Also, at the time I was trying to do it, there really wasn't any DIY on CA legal OBD2 swaps.

Comment

Its a smidgen easier to bar but more difficult because you have to deal with them potentially catching on its an S52 running OBD1. Wrong ECU and whatnot. OBD2 is more mod friendly and easier to tune than OBD1. Mr. Green had no problems passing once he got a good set of cats in there and im able to remotely flash his car for revisions anytime he decides to upgrade stuff once he got through BAR.
                            That's awesome! Good to know and thank you!

Now that I'm done, I'd totally recommend sticking with OBD2. If it throws a code, it's so much easier to locate and fix. Much better tuning options too.

My biggest stressor doing this was sap, the cc, and fps. I was worried that these would throw codes very easily. Not the case for me. Also, at the time I was trying to do it, there really wasn't any DIY on CA legal OBD2 swaps.
                            Thank you, yes we totally need a CA BAR DIY thread.
                            2015 Subaru BRZ 380whp
                            My '87 Project

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                              Just as a data point, I just got my S54 swap into a 95 obd1 M3 through BAR, and I think most of what I did can be duplicated on an e30. I'll be writing the swap up this coming week, but its doable.

This seems like the dream swap. Other than the E36 interior's notorious quality, I'd love to have an S54 E36 sedan. I read that the S54 is much more difficult, due to the evap tank, the OBDII, and the numerous other computer systems in it?

Comment

Thanks guys!
                                Did you weld up the exhaust, and then paint it, so it looked stock? Surely they knew it was freshly painted?

Comment

Working...
                                X