X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rooooooaaaadtrip!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
    HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
    **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Congrats people. I got my car bar'd YEARS ago and has been the best since. I was told by some dude on a drive that the BAR process has been more difficult over the years but from what you are all posting, it does not seem so. Keep the emissions original from the original motor. Keep the exhaust system like the original motor, all sensors etc, engine brain the same, nothing CARB illegal, clean sniffer = pass. Straight forward.

Comment

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

What's the bar legal intake everyone has had the best luck with? ECIS?

Comment

I used the ECIS unit. I have seen versions with the short filter, which leaves room for the transition tube. The package that I received had the long filter, and I had to connect it directly to the MAF.
          Oh, and I had massage/trim/mutilate the heat shield to fit! Do the best you can to make it look professional, and then paint it black...
          That being said, having the ECIS ARB sticker on the strut tower was what the Referee was looking for, and no comment was made regarding the heat shield.

Comment

CAlifornia BAR/SMOG/engine swap thread.

Thanks good to know! Got one ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowB0und View Post
              Thanks good to know! Got one ordered.
              Need help!!! I swap a S50 on my e34 touring....Failed Smog. Do I need to install a chip on my 413 Red Label ECU to pass? It passed with good numbers when it was a M50.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Was the swap inspected and approved by the Referee, and now you are doing the biannual smog check?

If so, then I would think that you should go through the standard troubleshooting process for excessive emissions.

Comment

February update!

The BAR Referee rep called me back after a few voicemails and emails and like three months’ time. Ridiculous. I was told that the “higher ups” or whatever are “easing up” on me... interesting. Instead of the Cal ID and the CVN being read from the ECU by a local BMW dealership (because ALL computers hooked to the OBD ports could not read these!!), they are having the dealership state on an invoice that my engine is the s52b32 and the ECU matches it and that there are no updates needed on it (lol). Even the guy I know at the dealership was like “Uh, they only update the newer cars’ ECUs!”

So, the state clearly has issues with knowing what they want, what is law, what is a reasonable concession, and what even applies to certain cars. They are the authority with no knowledge about what they are askng for. So silly.

My appointment for my e30 is this Thursday. The dealership is supposed to be able to write the answers for the state on an official invoice and then “we can go from there” he said.

Good grief!

If anyone called the dealership or did a Google search, they could tell what computer is in my car. I don’t understand why they make me pay a dealership to write it on paper. There is clearly no piggyback tuning system installed and all my engine parts are original and have passed visual inspection, including two new catalytic converters. #BecauseCalifornia

Wish me luck!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                  HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                  **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Absolutely agree - it should be pretty simple: If the required equipment is there, and
                    the ECU is not throwing codes, and it passes the emissions test = approved.

The Referee that I went to did know what he wanted and needed in terms of the dealer invoice and the ability to reset the sensors in the ECU (thanks to Nick Owen at BMW of El Cajon for the inspection and invoice, and to Dave Markert for enabling the sensors in the ECU).

He also said that with the newer engines, there is sooo much complexity in terms of sensors and algorithms, that CARB is probably going to stop allowing engine swaps.

So, to all you guys who have a project in process, get 'em finished and approved before they eliminate that option!

Best of luck to you on Thursday!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian697 View Post

He also said that with the newer engines, there is sooo much complexity in terms of sensors and algorithms, that CARB is probably going to stop allowing engine swaps.

So, to all you guys who have a project in process, get 'em finished and approved before they eliminate that option!
                      aw crap.
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Anyone know about passing without the oem CCV? I'd rather just run a catch can and save myself from having to mod the dipstick tube.
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

you will not pass
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Agree, you will not pass.

All emissions-related equipment on the vehicle that the engine came from must be installed (or CARB-approved equivalent).

Comment

shoot. Thanks for the heads up.
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Brian697 View Post
                                Absolutely agree - it should be pretty simple: If the required equipment is there, and
                                the ECU is not throwing codes, and it passes the emissions test = approved.

The Referee that I went to did know what he wanted and needed in terms of the dealer invoice and the ability to reset the sensors in the ECU (thanks to Nick Owen at BMW of El Cajon for the inspection and invoice, and to Dave Markert for enabling the sensors in the ECU).

Best of luck to you on Thursday!
                                Would that leave us with the hotrod option as the only possible legal swap method?

Comment

Working...
                                X