Spal electric fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
    I was looking at those, the one with the probe that goes thru the fins on the core. Only thing I have trouble with is the wiring, I suck at wiring relays and fuses. I can do basic wiring and soldering, but that's about it. :?
    Thats the one i have and its Very easy dude. Just need to run the constant 12v to the battery block by the battery tray, the switched 12v to the aux fuse box, and then ground the fan and ground wire off the kit. Done. Insert probe carefully and adjust screw to desired temp

-NICK

Comment

That made it sound way easier then all the wiring diagrams I read...they just confused me more, lol.

Sad, I can rebuild a motor...but I can't wire a relay without getting confused at some point.
      1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

After running on the stock AC fan for 2 years, I finally ordered a SPAL fan to replace it. I'll add a very thin puller fan later on so I don't have to worry if any of the fans suddenly decides to die one day.
        90 E30 S50B30
        http://www.fquick.com/roadhazard/

Comment

Just be careful if getting juice from main fuse box (little box next to fuse box) the car won't shut off right away, because fan will be rotating and creating back current. You have to install it with a relay to the +fuse.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm seriously considering swapping out my mechanical clutch fan for an electric on my stock m20b25. I'm not having cooling problems except it seems to take a bit long to warm up (thermostat not sticking, I checked). My main issue is that godawful noise at low rpm crawls, it's the loudest part of my car by far.

From what I see here most people are running either the stock aux fan on its own, a stock + an electric puller, or swapping the stock auxillary for a Spal and deleting the mechanical?

When doing any of these setups can it be wired in to be controlled by the stock circuit (at lower temps than the 99c preferably)
            1990 332i, 4 door
            2008 KTM 990 Superduke
            2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
            2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
            2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Yes, you replace the aux fan with the fan of your choice. If you want the fan to run 2 speeds you need to add a resistor similar to the one on the aux fan. Or if you don't want to mess with resistor wiring, you can just hook up to the fan switch that goes off at lower temp. In addition, you can also change the fan switch to a lower temps one (80/88 degrees.)
              90 E30 S50B30

Comment

Does this setup involve needing the A/C turned on like I've seen some people wire them up to do? I've never actually checked if the aux fan will start on its own without AC. What is the max amperage of the stock circuit and how many cfm are needed to solo cool the engine mid summer (about 35c maximum ambient) with A/C on?
                1990 332i, 4 door
                2008 KTM 990 Superduke
                2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
                2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
                2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

By reusing stock wiring, the fan should turn on automatically when water temp reaches the value on the radiator temp switch.

SPAL high performance fans should blow better cfm and draw less current than the stock fan. Not sure about the actual figures though. I've run the aux fan solo in my car for a couple years now. No problem so far as long as the fan is functional. And I'm talking about Bangkok hot climate and bad traffics. A SPAL fan should improve this. However, I also have a large euro M3 radiator with an oil cooler. Not sure if that makes any difference.
                  90 E30 S50B30

Comment

Is a 382mm 1760cbm/h Spal pusher good enough for an m50 with M42 radiator?
                    Currently have a really heavy e34 fan thats about 400mm.

Comment

Anyone? Just need to know if the power is sufficient or atleast better than the e34 pusher that's about to die.

If my calc. are correct, 1760cbm/h = 1035cfm
                      That seems a bit weak, since everyone here has fans around 2000cfm, provided they are really in cfm, not cbm/h.
                      Last edited by Fusion; 05-06-2013, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Do you also have the clutch fan? If not, it depends on your ambient temps but if you are at 30C+ sitting in traffic, I would think you'll be regretting that weak of a fan. If that fan claims peak CFM is 1035, that means it is probably usually running closer to 8-900 on average, which is not going to help much without the aid of a mechanical fan.

Comment

Nope, no mech. fan. Looks like I'll be looking for a stronger Spal.
                          This one was locally advertised so it could've been a good deal, but I won't risk it considering summer temps are high and I do some track time.
                          Thanks for the input.

Comment

New question - my brother replaced the whole shroud on his e46/328iC auto/AC cuz the controller died, fan is fine.
                            Can this be made to fit the e30? I'd just bypass the controller module.

Comment

a good alternative to the spal fan is the mishimoto fan. i have it set up on my aux fan wiring and it works great! its rated at 2000cfm and was a bit cheaper than the spal. but both are good options in my experance.

Comment

Spal electric fan?

Need some thoughts:

Possible to remove the mech fan and just install one pusher like one of these?
                                Summit/Spal

I have a 1987 E30 s325is with S50 Swap
                                Motor to Radiator is tight.
                                Bought Mishimoto bracket with fan and will not fit.
                                Don't really like the zip tie units.

I am ok with adding 2 one for aux/ac.. I have working AC now.
                                Want to keep the AC.

Just what to buy for main electrical fan?

1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
                                2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
                                2008 Scion xB Lowered
                                2001 BMW 325i
                                1995 BMW 318ti
                                1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
                                1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X