E30 obd2 vss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    Its still getting 'a' signal. Just a fractional one of the correct speed so as i mentioned it doesnt care in my experience.
    So, if you're using the existing e30 signal, do you have a threshold speed where you can't rev over whatever rpms? Ie, can't rev over 5400 below 25mph?

Comment

Yeah something like that.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        So, if you're using the existing e30 signal, do you have a threshold speed where you can't rev over whatever rpms? Ie, can't rev over 5400 below 25mph?
        Originally posted by nando View Post
        Yeah something like that.
        WTF?!?

Never had that problem with my car and I used Dave's wiring chart for VSS.

Originally posted by 325Projectz
        don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
        :nice:

Comment

maybe you need really short gearing to notice it. Or it could be a specific DME coded to a specific ABS module.

It does seem odd that nobody noticed this before. Also I spit out a 9-tooth signal to an MSS54 dme and it read pretty much normal, so I don't really understand why BMW would have done it this way for basically 3 years of E36 production only.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well thats whats happening to the OP but as ive said 234234 times. never EVER had this happen. I can hit 7400 at any speed on my drift car. and all my other customer cars and all the people ive done flashes for have never had this issue either? Obviously the ECU is seeing not 100% the correct signal but all it uses it for is a soft rev limiter if it does in fact code (soft or hard) which ive never had happen.

Check Us out on Facebook
            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
            Full Product Line Tuning
            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I have this problem in traffic. When i have slow speed for 10-15 minutes (under 8km/h) and i suddenly hit the 1st gear to redline it stops in 5400. Then code 0500 stored and no cell. After a while it revs to redline on all gears with no cell.
              But i have to clear the code because it is still stored. It does happened very often but it happens

Comment

for OP-

are you using a E30 speed sensor in the diff or a E36 unit?

there are 2 e30 speed sensor styles and also more than 1 part for e36/e36-7 speed sensor.

the tone ring is smaller for the e36 units and the sensor changed. e28/30/34 all use a larger diameter tone ring than e36
                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I have e30 sensor and I also have orig cluster

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    maybe you need really short gearing to notice it. Or it could be a specific DME coded to a specific ABS module.

It does seem odd that nobody noticed this before. Also I spit out a 9-tooth signal to an MSS54 dme and it read pretty much normal, so I don't really understand why BMW would have done it this way for basically 3 years of E36 production only.
                    I rock the ZF with my 3.73LSD :-? shopping for a 420 now finally.
                    Originally posted by 325Projectz
                    don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                    :nice:

Comment

steve/hoveringuy.. with your converter circuit, how would you wire it to run the ABS sensor wires into it, and the converted speed signal to the DME out, while also still having a complete circuit for the ABS sensor?

i've tried to look at it for a while now but my brain is not cooperating.

Comment

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                        steve/hoveringuy.. with your converter circuit, how would you wire it to run the ABS sensor wires into it, and the converted speed signal to the DME out, while also still having a complete circuit for the ABS sensor?

It just taps the ABS signal, tees off it. One wire of the ABS pair is the signal and the other is common with ground. The ABS doesn't "see" the tap and will continue to work normally. The circuit amplifies the signal strength into something that is useful for the ECU.

The circuit works fine, I'd still like to know why some OBD2 cars have this issue and others don't...

Comment

Originally posted by alndks View Post
                          I have e30 sensor and I also have orig cluster
                          Perhaps change to obd2 sensor from e36 and the smaller diameter sensor ring Inside the diff.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

And then the cluster and obc will not work correctly

Comment

Yes. You can verify with the contact I sent you.

The ABS "sees" very high impedance with circuit connected, almost nothing is drained from the ABS so it works normally. The output signal will be a pseudo-VR signal.

What is everyone else with OBD2 doing for the VSS signal???
                              Wheres my PM :(

Check Us out on Facebook
                              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                              Full Product Line Tuning
                              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by alndks View Post
                                And then the cluster and obc will not work correctly
                                cluster does work properly; This worked on my own e30.

obc.... who knows; but I'd guess it would work just fine

Comment

Working...
                                X