Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

found contradicting info, anyone clear up a G240 question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
    Whats with the G260 sel rod?
    a gear selector rod from a Getrag 260

Originally posted by Slovik View Post
    Don' reinvent the wheel, BMW already makes the shift linkage parts for a 240 moved back a bit for the 6 cylinder part #s 25111220759 & 25111220835 just don't jump the gun because and who really knows if the flywheel and pressure will actually fit the 240 bellhousing, if they did a lot of people would be using them. I heard one guy clearanced his 240 to work but I don't know how much work was involved. A used zf is only a few hundred dollars and we know that will work.

I have factory E30 Getrag 240 rod and carrier, but I was told the M50 moves tranny back so I cannot use the G240/E30 driveshaft, trans x member, and selector rod would no longer be suitable.

also I have a ZF trans, do not want to use it due to the required 92mm driveshaft which I could get incredibly good money for. (this is a swap for my beater)

I have a 260, a 250, a 240 and a ZF310, would prefer use the 240 because I love how it feels and its stronger than a G250. the 260 is great, but do not want to swap pilot bearings, ZF too expensive shifter feel is nasty and expensive driveshaft. rather use a 240 than a 250 because of strength and shift feel.

all I need to know really is:
    does the M50TU dual mass, clutch, PP fit in the 240 bellhousing
    does the 240 use the same pilot bearing as the 250
    do I use a G250 throwout in the 240 to make the pressure plate actuate
    which DS to use with the G240 (E36 325i vs E30 325e vs E30 318i)

most of those have been answered with varying degrees of certainty, some have not.
    1991 E30 M3 Brilliant/black - S54B32/5M
    1990 E30 318iT RHD Lagunagrun/tan - S52B32Turbo/5M
    2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M
    1991 E31 850i red/grey/6M
    1997 F355 spider red/tan/6M

Comment

Originally posted by 2.5-12 View Post
      I have factory E30 Getrag 240 rod and carrier, but I was told the M50 moves tranny back so I cannot use the G240/E30 driveshaft, trans x member, and selector rod would no longer be suitable.
      You can use the g240 crossmember. Have the g240 carrier and linkage cut and welded so that it will line up with the hole. The driveshaft has been explained however the holes on the e36 flange are m12 while the g240 guibo/output uses m10 bolts, do whatever you deem best to rectify this.

Comment

Don' reinvent the wheel, BMW already makes the shift linkage parts for a 240 moved back a bit for the 6 cylinder part #s 25111220759 & 25111220835 just don't jump the gun because and who really knows if the flywheel and pressure will actually fit the 240 bellhousing, if they did a lot of people would be using them. I heard one guy clearanced his 240 to work but I don't know how much work was involved. A used zf is only a few hundred dollars and we know that will work.
        I would say folks who have been there, done that, can say with more than a degree of certainty...

You however are simply regurgitating second or third hand info as you indicated in your posts.

I heard about this guy that invented a perpetual motion machine in his garage and the guberment seized it to keep from crashing the economy...der.... GTFO
        Originally posted by 2.5-12 View Post
        a gear selector rod from a Getrag 260-No shit, the ? was WHY?!?! when they make the appropriate selector for the application.....

also I have a ZF trans, do not want to use it due to the required 92mm driveshaft which I could get incredibly good money for. (this is a swap for my beater)

I have a 260, a 250, a 240 and a ZF310, would prefer use the 240 because I love how it feels and its stronger than a G250. the 260 is great, but do not want to swap pilot bearings, ZF too expensive shifter feel is nasty and expensive driveshaft. rather use a 240 than a 250 because of strength and shift feel.

all I need to know really is:
        does the M50TU dual mass, clutch, PP fit in the 240 bellhousing- YES, from personal experiance swapping a 97 Z3 1.9l with a 97 e36 328i M52.
        does the 240 use the same pilot bearing as the 250- No, but the flywheel and clutch kit dictate the TOB, which will come with the clutch kit for the M50, and work perfect.
        do I use a G250 throwout in the 240 to make the pressure plate actuate
        which DS to use with the G240 (E36 325i vs E30 325e vs E30 318i)
        I used my original DS ( to the Z) just compressed the collar in the center a few mm's and it was all good. I would suspect the M42 318 e30's should work fine since3 they came with 240's.
        most of those have been answered with varying degrees of certainty, some have not.
        Originally posted by 325Projectz
        don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
        :nice:

Comment

I agree, Mr. Swiss we have yet to hear from anyone who has used the M50 Dual Mass and clutch with a 240. I would like to know myself, at the time I did mine the best available info was that it did not work and the 240 crowd was going with the lighted M20 which works OK but is not perfect with A/C cars. The shifter parts however are correct as I have them in mine and they are an exact fit, no bending, no cutting, no welding, no off center, perfect fit.

Comment

I agree, Mr. Swiss we have yet to hear from anyone who has used the M50 Dual Mass and clutch with a 240. I would like to know myself, at the time I did mine the best available info was that it did not work and the 240 crowd was going with the lighted M20 which works OK but is not perfect with A/C cars. The shifter parts however are correct as I have them in mine and they are an exact fit, no bending, no cutting, no welding, no off center, perfect fit.

I have said numerous times I used a M52 dual mass flywheel and factory sachs clutch kit for the M52 with a g240.

There was NO funny stuff, it ALL bolted up and I sold the car a year later.

Dayumn
            Originally posted by 325Projectz
            don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
            :nice:

Comment

Not trying to funny either, I just think you are mistaken and that the Z3 1.9 had the Getrag 250 not the 240.

Comment

Originally posted by nokincy View Post
                You can use the g240 crossmember. Have the g240 carrier and linkage cut and welded so that it will line up with the hole. The driveshaft has been explained however the holes on the e36 flange are m12 while the g240 guibo/output uses m10 bolts, do whatever you deem best to rectify this.
                so, the G260 linkage is best then since its shorter, or is it going to be a middle ground between the G240 and G260 E30 parts?

I would say folks who have been there, done that, can say with more than a degree of certainty...

You however are simply regurgitating second or third hand info as you indicated in your posts.

I heard about this guy that invented a perpetual motion machine in his garage and the guberment seized it to keep from crashing the economy...der.... GTFO
                Z3 1.9 has a S5S 250G IIRC not a G240

which shifter parts did you use? M42?

I have said numerous times I used a M52 dual mass flywheel and factory sachs clutch kit for the M52 with a g240.

There was NO funny stuff, it ALL bolted up and I sold the car a year later.

Dayumn
                I know you said the M52 stuff worked fine in your Z3, but that trans is probably a 250 and I have no idea if the M52 dual mass is the same as the M50 dual mass (may be?)

Not trying to funny either, I just think you are mistaken and that the Z3 1.9 had the Getrag 250 not the 240.
                this ^^ isn't it a S5S 250G in the 1.9 Z car?
                2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M

Comment

I have a 91 318is and used all the stock parts except for part #s 25111220759 & 25111220835. I also went with the Z3 1.9 shifter to make it a little quicker. I also like the way the 240 shifts but it will limit your clutch choices. I used the m20 fly lightened to about 14lbs and a F1 stage 2 clutch, it's just OK but my car is just a street car and has A/C so a heavier flywheel would be better. I will be changing to 6 speed later this year and go the stock DM flywheel and the stock M3 clutch. Not too exciting I know but it's all built to take the S52 power.

Comment

thats all fine and well, but I do not like the M20 single mass flywheel. I used it last time I did a 24v swap and am trying to avoid it.
                    2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M

Comment

I agree, there are better choices, just don't think the M50 fly and clutch will work with the 240. I guess if there was a heavy duty clutch for the m42 fly that would hold the power that might be better, but I never found one.

Comment

There's an m20 dual mass if that's your only hold up.. I really think you should do more research. There is tons of info out there.

Comment

I haven't seen a M20 dual mass used in this conversion but that may work, you would still need to clearance the back of it somehow or shave down the oil pan a bit if you need to keep the weight of the flywheel. btw I used a e36 manual driveshaft and it bolted right up to the 240 guibo, maybe the earlier ones had a different flange.

Comment

I have a 91 318is and used all the stock parts except for part #s 25111220759 & 25111220835. I also went with the Z3 1.9 shifter to make it a little quicker. I also like the way the 240 shifts but it will limit your clutch choices. I used the m20 fly lightened to about 14lbs and a F1 stage 2 clutch, it's just OK but my car is just a street car and has A/C so a heavier flywheel would be better. I will be changing to 6 speed later this year and go the stock DM flywheel and the stock M3 clutch. Not too exciting I know but it's all built to take the S52 power.
                            Can you elaborate on the comments on the A/C? I will be using my 318 m50 swap as a DD and I have a dual mass m50 setup, m42 dual mass setup and m20 single mass setup to choose from
                            my 88 325i sedan

sigpic

Comment

I agree, there are better choices, just don't think the M50 fly and clutch will work with the 240. I guess if there was a heavy duty clutch for the m42 fly that would hold the power that might be better, but I never found one.
                              the M42 setup holds M50TU power just fine, and thats an option, but I'm trying to get someone who has actually tried to fit a 1993-1995 325iS flywheel inside a M42 Getrag 240 transmission. so far, no dice.

Originally posted by nokincy View Post
                              There's an m20 dual mass if that's your only hold up.. I really think you should do more research. There is tons of info out there.
                              I have one of those as well, but no clutch kit for it.
                              you're sort of right. tons of info but ZERO info on this particular setup which is why I pose the question. most 24V swap info is very convoluted and contradicted, sometimes even in the same thread.

I haven't seen a M20 dual mass used in this conversion but that may work, you would still need to clearance the back of it somehow or shave down the oil pan a bit if you need to keep the weight of the flywheel. btw I used a e36 manual driveshaft and it bolted right up to the 240 guibo, maybe the earlier ones had a different flange.
                              good info on the E36 325 DS on the M42 guibo.

Originally posted by spyde25 View Post
                              Can you elaborate on the comments on the A/C? I will be using my 318 m50 swap as a DD and I have a dual mass m50 setup, m42 dual mass setup and m20 single mass setup to choose from
                              less impact from the AC compressor kicking on with a heavier flywheel.
                              2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M

Comment

A light flywheel will allow the engine idle speed to be pulled down momentarily when the A/C compressor kicks on causing some vibration at that time, it will return to it higher A/C idle speed in a second or so. This is really not that big of a deal but lighter you go on the flywheel the worse it will be. I had my ecu reflashed with a higher idle which helps somewhat but if you want your car to act like a production e36 at idle you need to keep the stock weight flywheel. The same is true if you are running electric fans when they kick on. My flywheel is about 14 lbs but some of the lightweight ones are much lighter than that. Being as you are in Arizona this is really something to think about it's at least as hot as SC.

Comment

Working...
                                X