Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Markert Motor Works Dyno Thread (many inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    best stock cam S52 vs best stock cam/airbox s54

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    Highest stockish one weve seen was a bottom up stock rebuild with headers on stock US tune did 295 (shown on first post), tuned to 317whp on stock airbox/cams. Most M50 manifold S52s dyno around 230-235 on our dyno, with nice ass headers and a more agressive tune ive done ~255whp on stock cams S52, so youre getting ~60whp for 4-5k+ not to mention the powerband increase.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    that's fine. They will make 320+ with a tune and light mods.
    Epic's race car was making 380+ with cams, air box and his tuning.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
    With all the hype and the price of S54, I am not impressed at all.
    that's fine. They will make 320+ with a tune and light mods.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBMW
    replied
    With all the hype and the price of S54, I am not impressed at all.

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    I was using that as somewhat of an example of this dyno reading ~3-4% low. :P
    That is normal numbers (on our dyno) for a good E46M3 (stock)

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
    Advertised was 333hp at the flywheel, this means there is a massive drop in horsepower trough the drivetrain (61 hp drop)
    A little on the high side for parasitic loss at ~18%. Typically if you multiply the WHP by .82-.85 (15-18%), you have an idea. 333 x .82 = 276. Yes, 61hp seems like a lot, but when you make more power, you tend to lose more at the wheels.

Non-rebuilt Spec e30's do about 150whp (~10% loss over advertised), but e30's less rotating mass with the brakes, hubs, less gears in the transmission, smaller differential gears etc etc.

Keep in mind catalyst, big mufflers, A/C, P/S etc also cause losses.

EDIT: Customer in line before me at the last dyno session had an e46m3 with Alpha-N and carbon air box made 280whp.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBMW
    replied
    Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    Another bone stock E46M3 272STD=~268SAE
    Advertised was 333hp at the flywheel, this means there is a massive drop in horsepower trough the drivetrain (61 hp drop)

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    Another bone stock E46M3 272STD=~268SAE

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    yeah, people hate on dynojets for "reading high" (whatever that means) but they're very consistent and you can't really fudge the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    Update 4/7/15
    No tuning here, just a dyno to dyno comparison... Car is an M52 318ti, M50 manifold, S52 Cams, Headers, Exhaust, 3.5" MAF, BBTB
    A shops dyno in atlanta with their tune on it:

Same car same tune on the dyno we use (Switched run to SAE because the other shops dyno is run on SAE):

STD Run:
    thats a different model dyno? land and sea?

i went through data for 9 other "stock" E46M3 dynos on a DJ getting rid of the outliers that read quite low and high

for each separate data point i used the maximum number as some had 3 curves run in succession etc

TQ RANGE 227-242wtq AVE: 234whp
    HP RANGE 276-283whp AVE: 279whp

yours was 233/276 when reduced by ~2% to estimate SAE.

gotta hand it to dynojet they are pretty consistent when each of these dynos is a different physical machine scattered around a large continent.

where as locally on a dyno dynamics shootout ive seen 180rwkw vs 210rwkw you get a bif difference between different shops
    Last edited by digger; 04-08-2015, 02:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• M-technik-3
    replied
    Ah using a S52 manifolds and OBD II mid section and getting a E30 Stromung mated to it. Hoping it's not too obnoxious.

After it's done i might give you a line a flash tune for the car. runs much like you just posted .

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    AFAIK, Ebay headers and a nice 2-1 merge (2.75) and vibrant mufflers... wasnt terribly loud

Leave a comment:

• M-technik-3
    replied
    What exhaust was that Ti running?

Leave a comment:

• 328ijunkie
    replied
    Update 4/7/15
    No tuning here, just a dyno to dyno comparison... Car is an M52 318ti, M50 manifold, S52 Cams, Headers, Exhaust, 3.5" MAF, BBTB
    A shops dyno in atlanta with their tune on it:

Same car same tune on the dyno we use (Switched run to SAE because the other shops dyno is run on SAE):

STD Run:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X