Picked up a broken s52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up a broken s52

Looks like it had experienced the money shift. All exhaust valves bent by contact with the pistons. Pistons look pretty ok though. I'm trying to decide what to do with the motor. I think I have 2 options.

1. Put the s52 cams in my e36 m50b25. Put the crank and con rods (and buy custom pistons) and put that in my e30 ix.
    2. Get a replacement m50/m52 head, put the s52 cams in there, put the s52 back together and put the whole engine in my e36.

A big influencer on this decision is whether or not the I can easily do option 2. I put ATF in all the cylinders last night and this morning cylinders 1 and 2 had very little ATF in it. Are the piston rings potentially shot or is it just because the motor is cold?

Pic: http://i.imgur.com/mgfix2J.jpg
    AWD > RWD

Option 3: 3.2 M20 Stroker with RHD ITB's and a schrick 288 for your ix. ;)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well that's option 1. ITBs and a big cam would be down the road. Although 2 would be easiest, I'm finding it difficult to put any speed/hp effort into my DD that I don't really care about. It runs well with a chip and an intake, gets 27mpg, why mess with it?

Edit: Although I don't think I want to spend $1500 on MM 3.2 sport pistons. Maybe I can pick up m54b30 pistons, doesn't that make a 2.9l? Honestly, I wasnt expecting to rebuild a motor so the cheaper the better. Any other piston alternatives?
      Last edited by Kershaw; 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Option 4 sell it and buy a real M engine not a cam'd m52. Like s54

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Option 1
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I have an ix, so engine swaps are not worth the trouble imo. It's also not just a cammed m52, it's a cammed, bored, and stroked m52.

Also, I only picked it up because it was scrap price. I figured at the very least I could part out the motor. Option 4 is still on the table though because I still don't know what to do with it.

Do you have any piston ideas for option 1?
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
              I have an ix, so engine swaps are not worth the trouble imo. It's also not just a cammed m52, it's a cammed, bored, and stroked m52.

Also, I only picked it up because it was scrap price. I figured at the very least I could part out the motor. Option 4 is still on the table though because I still don't know what to do with it.

Do you have any piston ideas for option 1?
              Not to dampen your plans, but if you do part it out, I'm looking for a s52 crank!
              www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
              2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Why not just pick up the whole bottom block and cams too? Lol. Turbo s52 > turbo m52.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

I want to reassemble the s52 and sell it. Or at least get all the disassembled pieces off my work bench. I pulled an m52 head and the plan is to swap the cams/trays/lifts over into it.

So as far as I can tell I need:
                  headgasket kit
                  head bolts
                  chain guides
                  water pump
                  front chain cover gaskets

What are the reputable brands/kits to get, which ones should I stay away from?

Any tips/tricks are also appreciated.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                    Why not just pick up the whole bottom block and cams too? Lol. Turbo s52 > turbo m52.
                    I was planning on making an "s52" with the m52 I already had. Was going to do a forged bottom end so all I really needed was the crank. I already have a head with the cams in it.

Looks like you already have plans for it though. Good luck with it!
                    www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
                    2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X