No announcement yet.

Shift Carrier Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got in e30 mood and i want to start getting a list of things I need, and parts bought for when i get back home in June. I drove my car for a few hundred miles before i had to park it and the shifter was not how i want it. I used the e36 carrier and i did not like how it was to the right, it was not really just that either, it just felt way off. After searching and finding my thread, it left me with more questions. the e36 carrier is centered but to the right, the e30 one is forward but in the middle. What are people using other than these two options? Matt, you said you found the 318ti carrier to work are there any other tried and true carriers that are close to dead center with the ZF tranny and s50? maybe i will just order the 318 unit...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

hmmmm, I would like to know as well.

Comment

I used the e36 shift carrier that came with my ZF trans from a 98 M3. Right in the center.

Comment

bah, im using a getrag260 with the stock carrier, and it site too far forward and to the right.
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffRR View Post
            Here's a pic of my ZF trans with the e30 shift carrier.

You can tell from that the pic that the e30 carrier isn't ideal.

I'm getting a e36 carrier. Just thought this might help someone else.

Here's the e36 carrier, its centered better fore/aft but side~side is a little off.

With the shifter installed the shift lever pinches the rubber boot (pn: 25111220912) when going into 5th, this is with the MZ3 shift lever (pn: 25117527254). Its not enough to keep you from engaging 5th, but you can feel the drag on the shift lever.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JeffRR; 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM.

Comment

thats bidD im going to see if my million dollar bavauto shifter linkage from the e30 works before fitting the e36 unit.

Comment

Hmmmm.. the carrier in the photo above doesn't match either of the ones in the earlier comparison photo. The E36 M3 carrier I'm looking to install looks like the top carrier in the comparison photo.

I like the way the one above fits - guess it's time to look through realoem to see if there was a change at some point with the M3 fitments.

Comment

Here's comparison of the e36 shift arm pn's from realoem:
                  Attached Files

Comment

So, all M3s used the same carrier. Based on my carrier I'm guessing the one pictured above is not from an M3, but it appears it may be the best fit.

Comment

ill confirm now, from experience e30 m42 carrier with bav auto linkage will not work, 2 inchs too long on carrrier as well as bottom connector rod. i did have a spare e36 m3 bottom connector rod, and it looks dead nuts in the center of the opening. ordered e36 m3 shift kit.

Comment

My solution, but not the best, I try to solder it, but the welding was to weak :roll:

Stock M3 e30 carrier. I need to enlarge it 11mm

Comment

nice job that will work...

Comment

alright............check my swap thread for pics soon, e36 m3 fleabay shift kit is waaaaaay to short like 3 inchs to short. so after waiting 2 weeks, its time to modify the bavauto shift kit i already had.

Comment

Ok I'm having a problem

S52 / ZF, solid motor mounts and vorshlag Trans mounts, 328 shift carrier
                              '88 325isA body

so the carrier is about 1-2" to short, and from what this thread seems to say the E30 carrier will only be shorter.

has anyone run into this issue?
                              anyone have ideas on fixing this?

thank you

Comment

Anyone have detailed pics of the G260 linkage twist?

Comment

Working...
                                X