Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firewall DME Harness Grommet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Firewall DME Harness Grommet

    I don't have a harness available to butcher (already butchered the harness I have, and I am NOT altering an S14 harness!), so I need another solution. Unless someone has one they can sell me, of course.

    So what other solutions are out there that don't involve altering the firewall? I'm dropping my spare S50US into the M3 to get it on the road until I have the time to rebuild the S14, so i'm especially uninterested in messing with the chassis.

    Has anyone ever found a part number?
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

    Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

    sigpic

    #2
    I thought harness adapters were pnp no altering of anything? I'm in the same boat as you. About to drop in a s52


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


      #3
      Also same boat. My harness was custom built but still no grommet. Really bugs me, a lot of wind noise.
      Last edited by AllydNYC; 01-04-2017, 03:27 PM.
      E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain


      An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by GG///M3 View Post
        I thought harness adapters were pnp no altering of anything? I'm in the same boat as you. About to drop in a s52


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Harness adapters have nothing to do with the firewall.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

        Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          I have to look at the storage over my office, but pretty sure I have a chopped m20 harness.

          Alternately, a swap we did a while back used an e34 m50 ECU box and set it on the battery tray, or could use a small plastic battery box.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            I have to look at the storage over my office, but pretty sure I have a chopped m20 harness.

            Alternately, a swap we did a while back used an e34 m50 ECU box and set it on the battery tray, or could use a small plastic battery box.
            If you have got a damaged harness, I would *love* to buy the grommet, or the whole harness.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

            Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

            sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Alternately, a swap we did a while back used an e34 m50 ECU box and set it on the battery tray, or could use a small plastic battery box.
              Hmmm never thought of that. I have an E34 harness and the grommet is a major bitch that I havent really tried to get to fit into the enlarged hole in the firewall. I should actually try to get it through first, but thats not a bad backup plan. Not really a fan of having the ECU in the engine bay, but its also not ideal just sitting in the Glovebox... I have the 318-M42 ECU mount, but the wiring isnt quite long enough
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
              Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
              Originally posted by Melon
              Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                Harness adapters have nothing to do with the firewall.


                Would you mind posting some pics?


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by GG///M3 View Post
                  Would you mind posting some pics?


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  A harness adapter connects the harness to the fuse box, the left side of the car where the fuse box is sitting.

                  The part that goes thru the firewall and into the glovebox is exclusively for the ECU, which you don't need an adapter for.

                  Sorry no pic, too lazy to edit one and then upload it.
                  Last edited by AllydNYC; 01-04-2017, 09:32 PM.
                  E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain


                  An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by AllydNYC View Post
                    A harness adapter connects the harness to the fuse box, the left side of the car where the fuse box is sitting.

                    The part that goes thru the firewall and into the glovebox is exclusively for the ECU, which you don't need an adapter for.

                    Sorry no pic, too lazy to edit one and then upload it.
                    This. A harness adapter is located literally feet away.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

                    Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The m3 has the small hole in the firewall, like an early model, right?
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Sucks in a forum like this it's so hard to find pics with decent info. Fail


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          The m3 has the small hole in the firewall, like an early model, right?
                          Normal round hole, same as any late model. Edit: IIRC, around 2" diameter.
                          Last edited by nrubenstein; 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

                          Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                            Normal round hole, same as any late model. Edit: IIRC, around 2" diameter.
                            I have early and late model. I was on the understanding the m3 is based on the 1985 chassis, they have a smaller hole. When swapping in a late model (iS engine) into an early model, the hole has to be opened up.

                            Would be great if you could verify, I have them.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              I have early and late model. I was on the understanding the m3 is based on the 1985 chassis, they have a smaller hole. When swapping in a late model (iS engine) into an early model, the hole has to be opened up.

                              Would be great if you could verify, I have them.
                              I'll measure it today to confirm 100%. I can tell you that I've confirmed that the M50/S50 DME plug fits through in the same manner as a late model. Electrically, the M3 has a standard round C101.
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

                              Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X