M50 swap that will blow your mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jwal View Post
    Anyone look at the X3 booster? It has the lines on the same side as the stock E30 master cylinder.
    I have both and X3 booster and the E90. I’m going to compare the two. May go X3 route if it’s the same size or smaller do to the MC
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

M50 swap that will blow your mind.

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
      prepping to install an X3 in mine soon

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      I have both and X3 booster and the E90. I’m going to compare the two. May go X3 route if it’s the same size or smaller do to the MC

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the two. Thanks!

Comment

Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the two. Thanks!
        Here are pictures of both, the E90 booster is slightly smaller, hard to get a measurement exactly but its definitely slimmer at the bottom, but the E83 booster tapers to the same size as the E90 booster after the first few inches.

The cleeve basically lines up exactly the same between the two, but the E83 booster is about an inch longer than the E90 one, but the E83 master is shorter than the E90 so its total length is shorter.

I am thinking if the E90 works the E83 should work but it may be just a tiny bit tighter, if the engine is back further on the firewall.

Pros of the E83 is the lines are on the correct side and you will not have to extend them around, you will have to adapt the brake lines though since the input on the MC is larger than the E30s.

In the pics I have the E60 reservoir on the E83 master, it fits and sits flat, both the E83 and E90 reservoir are both angled since they go into their cars on an angle.

E90 on left

E90 Booster

E83 Booster thickest part

E83 after the first 4 inches

Im going to try the E83 one first, if that doesnt work go over to the E90.

Comment

Your stuffing that next to an s54 right? Looks promising. O'Reilly's sells a fitting that might solve the fitting issue.

Please don't bump my thread, the Audi booster was a total failure but the part I used for the brake lines is in there.

Comment

test fit my X3 booster. I ended up shaving and threaded the rod to keep adjustable and use the E30 pin.

Comment

test fit my X3 booster. I ended up shaving and threaded the rod to keep adjustable and use the E30 pin.
              Awesome, thanks so much for your work! So it looks like the X3 booster is slightly more convenient to use. Not having to get a pin made or modify the lines is definitely preferred. That clevis on your booster looks like a rough block. Is that the stock one or did you have one made for an earlier V8 booster or something?

Comment

Awesome, thanks so much for your work! So it looks like the X3 booster is slightly more convenient to use. Not having to get a pin made or modify the lines is definitely preferred. That clevis on your booster looks like a rough block. Is that the stock one or did you have one made for an earlier V8 booster or something?

I think the E90 booster would be the same, you can either use a new pin or cut and thread (much like a Porsche 944).
                That clevis is the original from the E30 booster so I could use the E30 pin.

I think you could use the modified pin without threading the X3, you just do not have any adjustability (the X3 is slightly longer).

Comment

I think the E90 booster would be the same, you can either use a new pin or cut and thread (much like a Porsche 944).
                  That clevis is the original from the E30 booster so I could use the E30 pin.

I think you could use the modified pin without threading the X3, you just do not have any adjustability (the X3 is slightly longer).

Ok, so in that case, the only real difference is the master cylinder? Any idea if they have different bores or if just the port locations are different?

Comment

Originally posted by Noshow20x96 View Post
                    This is one of the reasons why I went with the e9x booster and I kept reading that the diaphragms on the 944 boosters break internally, very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brand new 944 porsche booster lasted us just fine the last 62hrs in endurance racing and is still just fine.

if you buy some used crap like many r3vtards it will die

im interested for a comparison between the e90 & x3 vs stock or stock + 750il master with rx7 front calipers.

the change to RX7 front brakes and VW rotors sent too much brake bias frontwards; wondering if there is a more rear biased oem modern bmw brake master that will go on a E30

from looking at modern bmw' on the lift at my local indy shop in for service it seems that the new x3 and others wear out rear brakes alot faster than older cars
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Speaking of diaphragms, how much rotation on the clevis is ok? Mine rotating a bit here and there during handling

Comment

Finally have some pics to share...

Here's my setup using adapter fittings I had custom made at a local brake shop. Also found the metric bubble flare unions and tees at a local aircraft supply shop. This makes it all plug and play. I decided to go this route just incase I wanted to switch back to the stock style master with a 944 booster or something.

Initially, I went with the E34 530i reservoir setup but didn't feel comfortable converting the plastic brittle hoses to rubber reinforced. I found the rubber reinforced hose was a little too large for the E34 setup. They slid on/off a little too easily for me so I ordered up the 2002 reservoir (BTW, this is the same setup M3 guys running the DTM carbon airbox run) and direct mounted it to the master. Instead of running a longer clutch hose, I used one of the elbows to extend the existing hose. I didn't see the purpose of remote mounting it since it fits right on top of the master and I can still use the level sensor.

"I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                          Brand new 944 porsche booster lasted us just fine the last 62hrs in endurance racing and is still just fine.

if you buy some used crap like many r3vtards it will die

im interested for a comparison between the e90 & x3 vs stock or stock + 750il master with rx7 front calipers.

the change to RX7 front brakes and VW rotors sent too much brake bias frontwards; wondering if there is a more rear biased oem modern bmw brake master that will go on a E30

from looking at modern bmw' on the lift at my local indy shop in for service it seems that the new x3 and others wear out rear brakes alot faster than older cars

I ended up going with a brand new 944 Booster and brand new E30 master.

The E90 one would not fit the S54 without extensive modification to the airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            Finally have some pics to share...

Here's my setup using adapter fittings I had custom made at a local brake shop. Also found the metric bubble flare unions and tees at a local aircraft supply shop. This makes it all plug and play. I decided to go this route just incase I wanted to switch back to the stock style master with a 944 booster or something.

Initially, I went with the E34 530i reservoir setup but didn't feel comfortable converting the plastic brittle hoses to rubber reinforced. I found the rubber reinforced hose was a little too large for the E34 setup. They slid on/off a little too easily for me so I ordered up the 2002 reservoir (BTW, this is the same setup M3 guys running the DTM carbon airbox run) and direct mounted it to the master. Instead of running a longer clutch hose, I used one of the elbows to extend the existing hose. I didn't see the purpose of remote mounting it since it fits right on top of the master and I can still use the level sensor.

Is that an E83 MC?

Comment

E90
                              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Oh, that's the E90 booster as well?

Comment

Working...
                                X