No announcement yet.

F*cked Up S50 Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put a head & cams in an s52 a few years back due to warpage from an overheat. The exhaust cam packaging was beat up but no visible damage. Within a few hundred miles the exhaust cam broke and snapped the timing chain. Turns out the cam was warped, looked similar to what you have. Some scored bearings, some OK. It would not explain the lack of oil pressure but is worth checking.
    Last edited by Caperix; 08-19-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I’ll remove the exhaust camshaft caps next and inspect them. I don’t know why I’m not getting oil up top. As I said earlier, the oil pump nut was still on but I did feel like the chain had a little slack

Comment

If the oil squirters aren't in, all your oil pressure might just be blowing out through where the squirted are supposed to be. There might not be enough back pressure to get oil pumped to the top of the motor. This is just speculation though, I don't know if this would actually happen or not.

Comment

Oil squirters are keeping me from sleeping. I have a feeling that I forgot to install them. Do I have to remove the motor and pull it apart to bare block or can it be done some other way? Anyone wanna help lol (Modesto, CA)

Comment

Need to pull crank and upper main shells to put in the squirters.

If you've got the pan off, look at the cylinder walls. If its beat to hell, probably no squirters. You may even be able to see them..ish.

Comment

Gonna drop in an m50nv while I tear down the s50 again and I’ll report my findings

Comment

Well, I removed the oil pan, nut still on there. A few days later went to check on things and I looked at the oil pickup tube again, then I looked at the gasket and yup, that has to be my problem! Oil wasn't getting through that hole!

A member mentioned oil squirters. Will be removing crank tomorrow to verify they are in there but I doubt it. A friend has a blown M52 that he's willing to give. me. Will crank/rod bearings and oil squirters fit in my s50?

Thank you all for your help!
                Attached Files

Comment

WTF is that gasket! After that I would suspect that nothing in that engine is correctly done.

Comment

Spin the oil pump with a drill, submerge the sump in oil. See where it goes.

You don't need to pull the crank to find the oil squirters.

Id start fresh.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Lol I understand, but it was what I received when I purchased the oil pickup tube and dipstick from an individual and forgot to modify it. For peace of mind, I want to check the bottom end and need to know if the m52 bearings and oil squirters will work?

Comment

Working...
                      X