Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roznic
    replied
    Originally posted by Varinn View Post
    From my research 1/8", i've had mine machined down and that is the number I went with. It is not installed yet so i cannot confirm 100%.

After removing 1/8" the m20 single mass weighs in at just over 17lbs, or you can grab an e21 flywheel/ shave yours to the ring gear and it will be about 12lb.

Thx for input, just gonna shave off as much as possible, make it a lil lighter I guess

Leave a comment:

• JRKOUPE
    replied
    Originally posted by Aviator View Post
    Any thoughts on how stock e30 brakes hold up to the increased power of the S52? Anybody upgrade to bbk's or other?
    for street driving you should have no issues at all.....

for light track work u should be decent.

much more than light track work will be questionable.....I am advanced on track and never had big issues...but I do now run Massive street kit......which is borderline for decent track work.

Leave a comment:

• Varinn
    replied
    From my research 1/8", i've had mine machined down and that is the number I went with. It is not installed yet so i cannot confirm 100%.

After removing 1/8" the m20 single mass weighs in at just over 17lbs, or you can grab an e21 flywheel/ shave yours to the ring gear and it will be about 12lb.

Leave a comment:

• roznic
    replied
    So, how much does m20 flywheel needs to be shaved to work with s52?
    Will 1/8" or 3/16" do it? About to take to a machine shop.. Thx.

Leave a comment:

• kevvve
    replied
    Anyone know what size the oil pan bolts are? The ones that bolt the oil pan to the block?

Leave a comment:

• Aviator
    replied
    Any thoughts on how stock e30 brakes hold up to the increased power of the S52? Anybody upgrade to bbk's or other?

Leave a comment:

• chondamx
    replied
    Originally posted by Neil1138 View Post
    Hey guys, finished up my S52 swap a little while back. For anyone looking for a reference, here is the latest version of my S52 OBD1 swap parts list. All of the part numbers should be accurate (unless they become superseded).
    <3
    You sir, should get a cookie--a big cookie. I am sure this will be a great help for all those who are undertaking this swap. Saving and stashing away now.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_S
    replied
    Originally posted by Stitche30 View Post
    Guys got a noob question, I just bought the m50 swap connector from AKG, except looking at the looms I have no idea where I plug these in. Can someone post photos of where the connectors are both engine and chassis side?
    One end plugs into the engine harness, the other into the body harness. It all makes sense when you look at it

Leave a comment:

• Stitche30
    replied
    Guys got a noob question, I just bought the m50 swap connector from AKG, except looking at the looms I have no idea where I plug these in. Can someone post photos of where the connectors are both engine and chassis side?

Leave a comment:

• Neil1138
    replied
    Hey guys, finished up my S52 swap a little while back. For anyone looking for a reference, here is the latest version of my S52 OBD1 swap parts list. All of the part numbers should be accurate (unless they become superseded).

Also, here is the (reset) Excel spreadsheet, if anyone would like to use it as a starting point: dropbox link

My swap thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=305827

<3

Leave a comment:

• roznic
    replied
    Guys, need help on brakes..
    I am running IX booster with 95 e36 m3 MC and 2002 remote res, I have the 2002 connectors that plug into MC but they're much skinnier than the grommets in MC! Any ideas how to make it work or if any other grommets, does anybody have p/n??
    Thx in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_S
    replied
    Found something interesting out that I didn't come across in any research. For those of us on a budget and are re-using the OBD1 exhaust manifolds, the rear header is actually slightly different between E36 and E34's. The front is the same but the rear has the flange rotated slightly. Found this out when I went to put the E36 Y-pipe I was hoping to use on and it didn't match the E34 OBD1 headers I'm using. Cross referenced part number and the rear header is different.

Leave a comment:

• kdique
    replied

some nice swap info here I ran across

Leave a comment:

• cojo
    replied
    Do I have to run an oil cooler for a 24v swap?

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
    No, oil capacity is ~6QT on these engines, you are good without it.
    Could you have run the oil cooler if wanted? Is there enough space?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Mistawall
    replied
    in case any one wanted it. some manual thats helpful
    MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X