Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Answering question 2:

    The ZF from the E34 will mount up normally. You'll just need to do the additional steps of the manual swap. Pedals/etc.

    Comment


      question: can i use the quad exhaust from the z3m donor when i do my s52 swap? i'm mostly interested in passing smog. i figure the fewer mods i have to do to the exhaust the better

      i've searched for any reference to this and couldnt find anything. maybe i overlooked it, or maybe i'm just the first one dumb enough to try it, haha

      Comment


        Originally posted by trout View Post
        question: can i use the quad exhaust from the z3m donor when i do my s52 swap? i'm mostly interested in passing smog. i figure the fewer mods i have to do to the exhaust the better

        i've searched for any reference to this and couldnt find anything. maybe i overlooked it, or maybe i'm just the first one dumb enough to try it, haha
        I don't recall any 1 ever trying this...

        unless this is your dream set up...its not needed...

        its was done this way to fit the z coupe chassis..not smog

        use 1 or 2 mufflers, and a cat if needed....and that's it
        I love sitting down and just driving!

        Comment


          Is the IX booster supposed to fit without modification? I bought an IX booster (not sure if it's from an actual IX but it is a dual diaphragm) from a forum member but the bolt pattern is different than the firewall and the shaft is too long.

          Comment


            Hey guys, I had a quick question. I been searching all over but cant find the anwser. If your are doing an OBD1 enngine swap, do you need to keep the chorcal cannister? Or do I need to use an e36 one, so it plugs into the harness?

            Comment


              Originally posted by trout View Post
              question: can i use the quad exhaust from the z3m donor when i do my s52 swap? i'm mostly interested in passing smog. i figure the fewer mods i have to do to the exhaust the better

              i've searched for any reference to this and couldnt find anything. maybe i overlooked it, or maybe i'm just the first one dumb enough to try it, haha
              I am using the cats from the donor z3m car in their original location and an aftermarket muffler. Going in to the BAR referee soon to get the sticker. The engine is really quiet :(

              Comment


                Originally posted by bradmer View Post
                I am using the cats from the donor z3m car in their original location and an aftermarket muffler. Going in to the BAR referee soon to get the sticker. The engine is really quiet :(
                let me know how it goes (or went) with the ref.

                i'm probably gonna delete the spare wheel well and battery tray to keep the quad exhaust. i'll just get a emergency spare to fit in the trunk and move the battery up closer to the rear seat.

                Comment


                  The general rule of thumb is to use all the emissions equipment from the donor car/ engine. Are you aiming to BAR it as an OBD2 car?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
                  Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...
                  Originally posted by Melon
                  Let it be known to all. Simon fucking keeps it real.

                  Comment


                    yes, full obd2

                    Comment


                      Hey guys I want to swap an S50 to replace my M42 engine. After reading through all these pages and googling for some other info I have come up with this part list wanting to see if I am missing anything.
                      • S50 Motor
                      • Red Labeled 413 ECU w/ all other accessories & engine harness
                      • Garagistic harness adapter
                      • 6 Cylinder coding plug for my Tach
                      • E36 Motor Mounts w/ e28 Green Motor Mounts
                      • e34 Oil pan, oil pump, and pickup arm
                      • M20 Temp Sensor
                      • A/C - Larger hose I can use my original one. Smaller one need to have the side connecting to the compressor changed to an E36.
                      • Porsche 944 ATE Booster threads shortened w/ stock MC
                      • Can use original Radiator w/ attached overflow tank
                      • E34 Throttle Cable
                      • 260 Tranny w/ garagistic trans mount
                      • M20 driveshaft w/ shiftlinkage cut and turned or cut and weld to make centered
                      • 3.73 LSD
                      • M20 Starter

                      Good cats and exhaust w/ canister I should get my tags?
                      What type of flywheel should I use?
                      I have to shave the engine side of the flywheel correct?
                      What type of fan should I should? Or do i use M20 fan and clutch?
                      Are my stock powersteering hoses fine I also have e36 Z3 rack installed is that a problem?

                      Comment


                        ive got an 87 325 (eta) and im swapping in a 96 m52b28 with the zf320 trans. Can I use the stock radiator and overflow? which shifter linkage will I need to use?
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by wworm View Post
                          ive got an 87 325 (eta) and im swapping in a 96 m52b28 with the zf320 trans. Can I use the stock radiator and overflow? which shifter linkage will I need to use?
                          Technically you could use it, but the way the spider hose or coolant pipe for the m52 exits the block works a lot better with a late model m20 expansion tank since both sit on the driver's side of the car (You'll also want the late model m20/e36 6-cylinder radiator too). Otherwise you would have to run a long hose all the way back to passenger side where the pre-88 expansion tanks sit.

                          As for the shift linkage, you'll want to use the carrier and selector rod from an e36 m3 or e36 328.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                            Technically you could use it, but the way the spider hose or coolant pipe for the m52 exits the block works a lot better with a late model m20 expansion tank since both sit on the driver's side of the car (You'll also want the late model m20/e36 6-cylinder radiator too). Otherwise you would have to run a long hose all the way back to passenger side where the pre-88 expansion tanks sit.

                            As for the shift linkage, you'll want to use the carrier and selector rod from an e36 m3 or e36 328.
                            thanks bro!
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

                            Comment


                              Question. Would cutting the extra wiring connectors from my my s52 harness and heat skrinking them be a bad idea? Connectors like sap, rear o2 etc..
                              I want to cleanup the harness of unnecessary connectors I won't be using.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by UgkNW* View Post
                                Question. Would cutting the extra wiring connectors from my my s52 harness and heat skrinking them be a bad idea? Connectors like sap, rear o2 etc..
                                I want to cleanup the harness of unnecessary connectors I won't be using.
                                I think that would be a great idea.

                                I also have a quick question. I've done some reading and know I need to rethread the brown top temp sensor but I haven't been able to find the exact thread. Anyone know what they've used successfully?
                                Buy Replacement Tweeter Pins!
                                Feedback Here

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X