Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pan Issue

Guys,

I have just finished swapping my E30 with M52B28 engine (from an M40B14 4 cylinder). It has been great. More than enuf power for me. But I notice the oil pan is hanging a little too low for my liking. I'm using M50 E34 oil pan. Suspension wise I'm running H&R springs w/OE shockers. Right now I can see some scrapes on the fins and I don't drive my car hard. The last thing I want is to knock the sump off

​​​​​​​ Just wondering if anyone knows an oil pan conversion kit that is a bit more shallow than the front sumped M50? The other solution I was offered is to use metal sump protector. Not sure how effective it is tho

this sounds more like a motor mount issue
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

...or an E34 pan 'feature'...

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I've done upside down e46 non M motor mounts. Had to have the small locking nipple shaved off. Also had to have a modified oil pan which shortens the pan height by almost 2 inches.
        It's been an expensive journey, but I can roll low now.
        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Know any fabricator's? I had mine chopped at the casting marks and a plate welded on. Pickup tube has to be shortened as well. Some pickup tubes are magnesium and there's no welding that. I luckily found an aluminum one. It's this or you run a Arc asylum rear sump but that dudes been Mia for a long time.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...dification-2-0

This guy might be able to help you.
          Last edited by ZekeTheSneak; 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

You can can certainly weld magnesium, just have to use proper filler rod which is quite rare - so many fabricators will cut thin strips off the parent metal to TIG. The biggest issue is identifying mag vs aluminum. I am quite curious now as I have never seen a mag pan, as cast mag looks all flaky and chunky when cast, just like the OBD1 24v valve covers.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Magnesium pickup tube. Pans are most likely all aluminum. Edited my previous post.

Comment

Working...
              X