My m52 budget swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twright View Post
    I have a couple of pieces of a rear bumper rubber cover that can be used for a front license plate delete. Its what I used for mine. Interested?
    Sure! I kinda like my dealer plate on the front, but I’m willing to try the no tag look. If I don’t like it, my buddy would put it to use. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got to drive the SOB after grappling with the t-stat issues. It finally opened. I'm thinking I need a puller fan on the other side of the rad, as the temp just kinda hovered between the halfway and 3/4 mark. When the SPAL fan kicked on, it brought it down to half way, but it didn't stay on long enough or kick on fast enough for my liking. The brake booster is now a vac leak, so I said screw it and ordered an E92 booster and master off ebay, along with the rest of the parts needed to relocate the reservoir. $100 all in, which I believe is worth it.

Rack still needs to be bled.

I did mount the diag port and the coil pack plug with some zip ties.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	30B664A4-9B7E-486C-A4F1-2BED7B07369B_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	9936983

I also wired up my caddy horn I had laying around. Sounds pretty sweet.

I need to mount my expansion tank, but I'll wait until I remake the brake lines for the new booster.

Engine covers hopefully here by this weekend. Really ready to button this thing up and driiiiive.

Comment

I also wired up my caddy horn I had laying around. Sounds pretty sweet.
        lol!

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
          lol!
          Hey gotta clear traffic right? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 128keaton View Post
            Finally got to drive the SOB after grappling with the t-stat issues. It finally opened. I'm thinking I need a puller fan on the other side of the rad, as the temp just kinda hovered between the halfway and 3/4 mark. When the SPAL fan kicked on, it brought it down to half way, but it didn't stay on long enough or kick on fast enough for my liking.

What are you running for the fan switch? I searched and didn't see anything.
            I run I think this same SPAL fan and a lower temp (88deg?) mercedes switch (that I can't seem to find the pn for right now) and don't see over 95deg while heatsoaked at idle.
            All wiring is with the old high speed aux fan wiring like the "Official Electric Fan wiring thread!" shows. (except the switch he gives the PN for is supposedly actually a 91degC switch)
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              What are you running for the fan switch? I searched and didn't see anything. I run I think this same SPAL fan and a lower temp (88deg?) mercedes switch (that I can't seem to find the pn for right now) and don't see over 95deg while heatsoaked at idle. All wiring is with the old high speed aux fan wiring like the "Official Electric Fan wiring thread!" shows. (except the switch he gives the PN for is supposedly actually a 91degC switch)
              I used what is pictured above, which was found by using the P/N in the fan wiring thread. I went the relay route detailed at the bottom of the main post of the fan wiring thread. Aux fan switch HI is triggered by this switch, then the power sent to the old aux fan is sent to a relay, which triggers the SPAL fan. I’m wondering if the temp gauge is the problem as previously I had noticed that when there was more draw on the alt/battery (headlights, stereo) it would read higher. As in, If I turned the headlights on, the gauge would move to read hotter immediately, and turning off would cause the gauge to return to normal. A very SLIGHT change in reading but noticeable when you have more accessories powered. Additionally I have the AC condenser still mounted between the fan and the rad, but that shouldn’t make a difference since the fan switch will keep it on as long as it’s hot. The new alt puts out a very good 14v, old one with the m20 did 13.5v on a good day. Maybe I should be looking for an electrical issue versus a cooling issue? Also, I put the E30/M20 sensor next to the E36/M52 sensor where the throttle body outlet line goes. I’ll see if I can throw an IR temp gun on the water inlet tonight and see how hot that is.

Comment

Give the dash a smack and see if the coolant gauge goes lower? The gauges are sketchy at best after 30 years lol.
                My fan usually runs for less than a minute also.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  Give the dash a smack and see if the coolant gauge goes lower? The gauges are sketchy at best after 30 years lol. My fan usually runs for less than a minute also.
                  I have to tap it initially to get it to read, so I’m really erring on the side of the gauge being the issue, but I’d really like to not blow a headgasket. Same here, sometimes longer. I’ve really only had the car driving for less than a day, so I’ll play with it Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok so it stayed much cooler after letting it sit overnight and filling the expansion tank back to the cool mark. Some air came out when I opened the cap. Will continue to monitor and bleed. I got the rack bled, still binding a bit, but way better than before. I also made a bracket to mount the PS reservoir. I’m using the stock E30 reservoir and bracket with my additional custom angle bracket. Just didn’t like where it would mount on a stock E36. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by 128keaton; 07-07-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I swapped in the E92 booster today. Pretty easy. I just shaved the clevis pin to remove the collar. I used the old E30 clevis as a spacer in the middle. Clip on one end, and spring on the other. Easy peasy. Plenty of clearance with the booster. Also stops like a champ. Also found another sunroof visor at a junkyard. I liked the purple more than the blue one the car came with. It was polished and looks great! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well the lovely camshaft position sensor code came back. Ordered a brand new Siemens unit from Pelican parts. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Still need to resolve my MAF code, but I'm not too pressed to fix it as of yet.

I was able to get my licence plate blank sorta kinda mounted. The sides "billow" up and out a bit. Might take a heat gun to it or try some epoxy and clamps to keep it flat.

IMG_6473 by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll receive my engine covers tomorrow!

Comment

Was able to mount my VC cover. Still waiting on my camshaft position sensor. Also need to figure out a mounting solution for the fuel rail cover. Not a huge priority. Received my new clutch and brake pedal pad. $5/piece on FCP. Makes me wanna repaint my pedals, they look atrocious. I also received my coolant level sensor which thankfully was the problem. I really didn’t want to retrace the sensor wires back over to the passenger side. Just brake lights now. I received what I had hoped was everything to get the A/C system back in shape. I already have the custom crimp-on connectors that I need to put in the hose. I also have both sets of hoses (E30 and E36) ready to modify. I need to confirm which hose goes where (was told the E36’s connections on the compressor were reverse to the E30’s connector). Will need to wire in the switch. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Definitely the CPS. I replaced it and the car runs so much better! (New CPS for comparison) Covers look real good mounted. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow. I don't see how the car would run with the CPS sensor plug in such bad shape. Good find, your build is coming along nicely.

MJ

Comment

That cam sensor problem is super common. I think any M52 that hasn't had the sensor replaced is in similar shape. All of mine are the same or very close.
                                I took the best one and potted the whole boot.

Comment

Working...
                                X