Is an S52 with 170k+ miles worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an S52 with 170k+ miles worth it?

Hello guys, there is a local guy parting out his e36 m3 with 170k miles, he is asking $2800 for the S52 without trans but with accessories ,wiring harness and ECU. Do you think its worth that much money with this amount of miles?

Thanks in advance.

At that price, no, and not even at half the price. But a high mileage example with good compression and leakdown numbers is nothing to fear.

Of course, these days an S52 is hardly worth installing in an E30 considering the other options available.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Of course, these days an S52 is hardly worth installing in an E30 considering the other options available.
      Wait, I missed the boat on s52 swaps?!? I mean, that's what I was dreaming about in 2009, but I thought I still had time. What are we doing now?
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Wait, I missed the boat on s52 swaps?!? I mean, that's what I was dreaming about in 2009, but I thought I still had time. What are we doing now?
        M54, N52, and if you want turbo N54/5. While the first two have little modification potential they do make similar or more power compared to an S50/2 and get vastly better mileage.

But, you should do whatever makes you happy.

Comment

But, you should do whatever makes you happy.
          Huh. Well that's cool. I'm currently doing a turbo m20. It's crazy how time changes things.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Huh. Well that's cool. I'm currently doing a turbo m20. It's crazy how time changes things.
            Of course and the guy with the Tesla swap is scoffing at all of us ICE guys. S50/S52 are great engines but people tend to ask too much for what it is IMO especially when there are newer engines like M54 available at junkyard prices. The problem is labor in swapping the newer tech into the car which gets cheaper as people come up with solutions over time. In 2017, I paid $2800 for my S52 with trans + harness but ended up with an engine that needed a lot of work. It needed everything...headgasket, vanos rebuild, exhaust valves, stripped threads on the block, leaking oil filter housing, wrong injectors, chipped valve cover, missing beauty covers, etc. I should have stuck with my original plan of a cam'd or FI M52 swap but the S52 was offered to me by the shop. Even a cam'd M52 with headers would offer good bang for the buck. It all comes down to your needs.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by E3IS0 View Post
              Hello guys, there is a local guy parting out his e36 m3 with 170k miles, he is asking $2800 for the S52 without trans but with accessories ,wiring harness and ECU. Do you think its worth that much money with this amount of miles?

Thanks in advance.

That sounds a bit steep, I paid $1,800 for an 83K mile s52 with harness and ecu 5 years ago. Then paid another $1,000 in parts to freshen up the vanos and all bolt on's. He wanted $450 for the ZF trans so I stuck with the g260 I had already.

Everything has been figured out for you on the s52 swap with numerous detailed threads plus you get obd2 for troubleshooting. One forum member on here has 3 or 4 different e30's with s50 motors.
              Or you could invest that same amount of cake into your M20 and have something even more special.

reelizmpro that totally sucks that your shop did you that way.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

Of course and the guy with the Tesla swap is scoffing at all of us ICE guys. S50/S52 are great engines but people tend to ask too much for what it is IMO especially when there are newer engines like M54 available at junkyard prices. The problem is labor in swapping the newer tech into the car which gets cheaper as people come up with solutions over time. In 2017, I paid $2800 for my S52 with trans + harness but ended up with an engine that needed a lot of work. It needed everything...headgasket, vanos rebuild, exhaust valves, stripped threads on the block, leaking oil filter housing, wrong injectors, chipped valve cover, missing beauty covers, etc. I should have stuck with my original plan of a cam'd or FI M52 swap but the S52 was offered to me by the shop. Even a cam'd M52 with headers would offer good bang for the buck. It all comes down to your needs.
                Yes I agree, they are asking too much.

At that price, no, and not even at half the price. But a high mileage example with good compression and leakdown numbers is nothing to fear.

I am going with S52 because I am planning for a turbo charged setup after driving for one year or so. M50 is very cheap and it can handle the turbo charger but I want to have fun with the S52 as an NA for now.

Originally posted by bradmer View Post

That sounds a bit steep, I paid $1,800 for an 83K mile s52 with harness and ecu 5 years ago. Then paid another $1,000 in parts to freshen up the vanos and all bolt on's. He wanted $450 for the ZF trans so I stuck with the g260 I had already.
                Wow that is cheap compared to the prices now.

Comment

too expensive for motor with no trans or records
                  1991 318is
                  2004 330ci
                  2011 335d

Comment

Yeah that’s a bit high. I picked up a 210k mi S52 + ZF + harness/ecu for $650 3mo ago. Then spent another $2-2.5k to refresh the engine/trans and swap parts....
                    Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
                    past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

I'd cap a budget for motor only at 1800 in US and that's on the high side. I messed up and didn't fully tear mine down, just regasket and timing and it's a tired motor. If you do grab one, do the whole engine. Also Diego that is a great deal!!
                      OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                      84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
                        Yeah that’s a bit high. I picked up a 210k mi S52 + ZF + harness/ecu for $650 3mo ago. Then spent another $2-2.5k to refresh the engine/trans and swap parts....
                        You got a build thread? My elderly s52 smokes and needs rings.

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
                          I'd cap a budget for motor only at 1800 in US and that's on the high side. I messed up and didn't fully tear mine down, just regasket and timing and it's a tired motor. If you do grab one, do the whole engine. Also Diego that is a great deal!!
                          What this guy said...I tried refreshing a S52 with unknown miles that was "good"...ended up re-ringing and dropping the motor to make it right.
                          1991 318is
                          2004 330ci
                          2011 335d

Comment

I just bought a junker '95 M3 for less than that to swap my E30. I had to drive two hours into the next state over and tow it home, but there are deals out there if you're patient. All of that to say, personally I would not pay that amount ofoof money for that engine with that many miles.
                            Last edited by Ocelot; 05-19-2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ocelot View Post
                              I just bought a junker '95 M3 for less than that to swap my E30. I had to drive two hours into the next state over and tow it home, but there are deals out there if you're patient. All of that to say, personally I would not pay that amount ofoof money for that engine with that many miles.
                              Awesome. How many miles did it have? check the vin number dont trust the odometer on the dash.

Comment

Working...
                              X