Will the 6 speed (getrag 420g) from an E46 M3 fit in a 325ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the 6 speed (getrag 420g) from an E46 M3 fit in a 325ix

I’ve seen this done in RWD E30s and apparently I’ve seen two cars with SMG swapped in with shift paddles as well. I’m wondering if it would be possible for an ix with an S54 swap since I’ve read about the transmission from the ix is different and transmissions from RWD E30s wouldn’t even bolt on to the transfer case.

thanks for your attention

The GS6X37BZ is an AWD transmission.

It's more likely to fit.

Comment

the transmission will fit the car... But it's not AWD, and none of the AWD parts from the E46 will fit on an E30. the E46 is longer, so the wheelbase is wrong, the transferase is shorter, but it's also wider. The E46 AWD system is crap anyway (all open diffs). Maybe you could make it work if you can somehow mount the ix transfercase to the 6 speed, but you're pretty much on your own there.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't think the E30 and E46 share the same flange pattern for the transfer case.
        I also think the offset for the front diff's larger- as in, the front diff's farther off centerline.
        The E46 is a monster-
        I haven't had much exposure to the E30 version, but I remember it being quite a bit smaller.

But heck, E46 xi's are common even in the u-pullets, so pull one and see. The auto and manual
        cases are the same...
        ...but then, I don't remember that the xi ever got a 6- speed. If they did, there are vanishingly few
        of them, behind b30's.

The standard RWD transmission can't be mated to a transfer case-
        the rear case is different, the shifter's different, and the output shaft is different.

t
        loves projects like this, but doesn't love this particular project.
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

yeah, basically nothing from the E46 xi is useable in the E30 ix. Trust me, I've looked at all of that stuff. :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

thanks, I’ll look into this

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              the transmission will fit the car... But it's not AWD, and none of the AWD parts from the E46 will fit on an E30. the E46 is longer, so the wheelbase is wrong, the transferase is shorter, but it's also wider. The E46 AWD system is crap anyway (all open diffs). Maybe you could make it work if you can somehow mount the ix transfercase to the 6 speed, but you're pretty much on your own there.
              thanks a lot, guess I’d have to look in another direction

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                I don't think the E30 and E46 share the same flange pattern for the transfer case.
                I also think the offset for the front diff's larger- as in, the front diff's farther off centerline.
                The E46 is a monster-
                I haven't had much exposure to the E30 version, but I remember it being quite a bit smaller.

But heck, E46 xi's are common even in the u-pullets, so pull one and see. The auto and manual
                cases are the same...
                ...but then, I don't remember that the xi ever got a 6- speed. If they did, there are vanishingly few
                of them, behind b30's.

The standard RWD transmission can't be mated to a transfer case-
                the rear case is different, the shifter's different, and the output shaft is different.

t
                loves projects like this, but doesn't love this particular project.
                thanks for all the input, I’m still at the research stage so please do excuse me if the questions come out sounding stupid

Comment

Oh, heck, no- given how much BMW re- uses and redesigns things to NOT change, it's a very reasonable thing to ask about!

There was a huge change between the E30 and the E36, so 'most' stuff won't easily cross that line, engines being a big exception as
                  the M20 block was the dimensional design base for the M5x engine series.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                  X