No announcement yet.

Starting my M54B30 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm trying to figure out the brake master cylinder stuff... Why is it when using an 325iX booster you use an E34 master and an E32 remote reservoir? Is there not enough room under the hood using the E34 reservoir? And why not just use a 325iX master and reservoir instead?

Comment

Just got my E34 brake master in, it came with the reservoir attached (but was only 34.95 shipped), can anyone answer my question above?

Comment

Well, started installing the brake booster today since I have the master cylinder now... Realized I'll need to shorten and thread the shaft so I have enough adjustability for the pedal...

I'm still not sure why exactly I'm supposed to use a remote reservoir, the only thing I can assume is it's because of the location of the E30's power steering reservoir but if that's the case then it's no issue because the M54's reservoir is a part of the engine assembly so I don't have to use the stock E30 location. The E34 reservoir also appears to clear the hood so I doubt that's the issue...

Comment

Just cut this out of some cutting board. Adapter plate/gasket for the E34 M50 throttlebody to mate it to the M54 manifold.

edit:

hoveringuy's engine bay shots answered my question about brake reservoir. Going to continue on with the E34 reservoir.

Last edited by Elysian; 03-29-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Still working on fitting my brake booster. I modified the fork hoping it'd give me enough room to just bolt it in, unfortunately it still wasn't enough so I'll need to thread more of the boosters' shaft and shorten it a little bit more.

Just moved the hole back some and notched the inside of the fork just a little bit more so it'd accept the brake pedal lever. Used an X bit from my machinists bit set to drill it, was the exact diameter of the original hole.

Comment

325iX brake booster is in, swap can finally move forward!

Comment

Just ordered an aluminum radiator and a fuel pressure regulator.

Comment

Radiator came in today. Fuel pressure regulator came in yesterday, ebay special type.

Comment

Since my budget is so shot I decided to look at my Megasquirt breakout box. I wasn't happy with wiring directly to the terminals so I picked up a piece of predrilled circuit board and attached it to the stock M54's DME plug:

I think this will be a lot more solid than how I was previously doing it. It's not pretty but it will work.

Comment

you'll be much happier with that. I wired the DB37s on my current setup directly to the harness, it's a total pain in the ass to work with.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        you'll be much happier with that. I wired the DB37s on my current setup directly to the harness, it's a total pain in the ass to work with.
                        Yeah I was finding that as well, I had probably 1/2 of the wires already soldered on but I just didn't trust them to stay on there TBH. Some of the wires were already going to try to interfere with the case fitment. It wasn't super easy to get this to fit either though, I did have to drill out every single hole on the board that a pin went through, they were just a little bit too small. Glad I have a good bit set.

Comment

I use crimped pins and connectors for my DB37s now. you can get individual solder pins too. I throw away the junk that comes with the MS kits.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm thinking of converting my Pathfinder to Megasquirt as well to see if I can bring out just a little better mileage. I'll probably keep that in mind for that project. I bought prewired DB37's for the M54 swap. Probably won't do that for the Pathfinder.

Comment

any news on this thread?
                              From which car, you`ll install drive shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by dableds View Post
                                any news on this thread?
                                From which car, you`ll install drive shaft?
                                I've got a guibo that will allow me to use the stock E30 shaft for now... That may not wind up being permanent once I go forced induction...

Everything is on the back burner right now, I've barely got any income currently and I'm waiting to hear on a job I interviewed for in Austin. If I relocate it will be on the back burner until I find a place with a garage and get on my feet in Austin.

Comment

Working...
                                X