Starting my M54B30 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    You wont get as good of a swirl into the intake with ms3. The ms43 uses the idle valve for the first 1500 rpms. Then throttle takes over.
    That's true.. and the S54 does the same, I believe. Those secondary ports are also used by the EGR.

That's relatively inconsequential and you're stuck with an electronic throttle.

Comment

No BMW gas engine has EGR I'm aware of. This is thanks to the operation of the vanos :)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

No BMW gas engine has EGR I'm aware of. This is thanks to the operation of the vanos :)
        Sorry, not EGR (that's an internal function of the VANOS, actually..)

I meant PCV. The crankcase gasses from the oil separator.

I got my acronyms mixed up.

Comment

You wont get as good of a swirl into the intake with ms3. The ms43 uses the idle valve for the first 1500 rpms. Then throttle takes over.
          it's still possible to do it that way if you really wanted to, but I doubt it really makes that much difference.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

That is on a seperate circuit than the idle flow. The PCV goes directly into the top of the runners on the intake, the idle air flow is at the bottom. One of the benifits of the m54 is intake design. If you dont optimise using it, Why swap an m54.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

PCV circut dumps stait into the top of the intake runner. ICV really doesnt even touch the intake manifold flow. The benifits of an m54 is the intake design. If you dont optimise this, I see not reason in running a m54. Esp when a m/s50 or m/s52 flow better and would make better power.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

if the PCV is active and a PWM valve, it's quite trivial to setup and control with MS3.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

PCV circut dumps stait into the top of the intake runner. ICV really doesnt even touch the intake manifold flow. The benifits of an m54 is the intake design. If you dont optimise this, I see not reason in running a m54. Esp when a m/s50 or m/s52 flow better and would make better power.
                  So the power hoveringuy is already making, that's just a fluke?

Comment

I'd rather have an M54 swap than any of the US e36 engines. Primarily for the lighter weight. I can't wait to see someone besides hoveringguy with an m54 swap.

Are you still collecting parts? Whens the engine going in?
                    I don't see any pics yet except for the first page.
                    Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                      I'd rather have an M54 swap than any of the US e36 engines. Primarily for the lighter weight. I can't wait to see someone besides hoveringguy with an m54 swap.

Are you still collecting parts? Whens the engine going in?
                      I don't see any pics yet except for the first page.
                      I haven't gotten any of my Revshift parts yet :( the weather has also been crap the last few days so I haven't been able to do the brake booster yet.

I also need to rebuild my 3.46 open diff with the lsd in my 3.73(the 3.73 is a big case diff with an E24 rear cover, unless there was ever a big diff in the E30 it seems logical to go this way).

Also going to need to amass parts for the 5 lug swap, urethane rear subframe mounts, new driveshaft support bushing, likely new shocks and springs, new RSM's, etc. Car has been sitting so long I don't trust anything rubber in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                        So the power hoveringuy is already making, that's just a fluke?
                        I never said that, Ill never say that. Dont you ever say that again to me.

You can compare dyno graphs of these motors and see the difference. Im not saying the m54 is a bad choice. The m54 is a really nice and efficient motor. Just i'd like to see some use it to its full potential. Hoveringuy did a good thing for the community opening the gateway and developing the dual vanos controller and showing it can be ran on obd1 tune effectively.

Ive been debating for a year whether to use an aluminum m52 or a m54. I have both blocks, cylinder heads along with 3L internals and just been comparing info. Though I will be F.I. and running E85. So I'm am bias'd a bit on views regarding using ms43 to run the motor. I have an m20 now with fully functioning ms2 and know ms3 has more than enough power to run the m54, but I believe not as efficient as I want it to be ran.

I may be like everybody else and hit a brick wall with the Siemens management and have standalone... (I would really like to crack it myself, but possibly willing to pay if I fail.)

Yes m54 weight is nice but a m52 aluminum block isn't rare.

If I could have it my way I'd want an all aluminum motor with better rod ratio, direct injection, Variable valve lift and timing, Better harmonics, 14:1 and turbo, E85

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

I never said that, Ill never say that. Dont you ever say that again to me.

You can compare dyno graphs of these motors and see the difference. Im not saying the m54 is a bad choice. The m54 is a really nice and efficient motor. Just i'd like to see some use it to its full potential. Hoveringuy did a good thing for the community opening the gateway and developing the dual vanos controller and showing it can be ran on obd1 tune effectively.

Ive been debating for a year whether to use an aluminum m52 or a m54. I have both blocks, cylinder heads along with 3L internals and just been comparing info. Though I will be F.I. and running E85. So I'm am bias'd a bit on views regarding using ms43 to run the motor. I have an m20 now with fully functioning ms2 and know ms3 has more than enough power to run the m54, but I believe not as efficient as I want it to be ran.

I may be like everybody else and hit a brick wall with the Siemens management and have standalone... (I would really like to crack it myself, but possibly willing to pay if I fail.)

Yes m54 weight is nice but a m52 aluminum block isn't rare.

If I could have it my way I'd want an all aluminum motor with better rod ratio, direct injection, Variable valve lift and timing, Better harmonics, 14:1 and turbo, E85
                          His VANOS controller also runs DISA so I really don't know what you're getting at... MS3X is also more than capable of running DISA...

Comment

My goodies pile continues to grow. Now if this crap weather would let up!

Comment

Started pulling more of the interior out, will help get to the brake booster. I'm going to be replacing my dash and building custom gauges and such. Need to pull the carpet and also need to figure out where water is getting into my car... I'm guessing the sunroof...

Comment

My thread is now in the wrong subforum.... Got into an accident in my E24 last night, car is totalled but the drivetrain is salvageable. For the time being I'll be putting the M30 into my E30, still not at a point I can afford to finish your M54 swap...

Comment

Working...
                                X