Starting my M54B30 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    yes. it actually supports 4 VVT/vanos channels. there's both an S65 V8 and S85 V10 running on it.
    Keep in mind, the 2 solenoid per cam VANOS implementation is much, much different and very much simpler to control. Almost trivial, in fact.

The two solenoids per cam are kind of like a bucket with a fill and a drain... fill the bucket until it's at the desired level and turn off the spigot. It will stay there until you add more water or drain some.

Same thing with advancing/retarding the cam except it's oil being ported in and out.

The m54 is an adaptation of the older M50 technology where only one valve controls in flow and out flow. It's more like a seal balancing a ball on its nose to keep the cam in intermediate positions; would be cool if it does!

I would see if MS3 can specifically support 1 solenoid/cam implementations.

Also, does MS3 support S54 cam wheels yet???

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
      Interesting. Do they have to run the MS3x board? Guess I'll try to find those builds.
      I don't know why you'd build an MS3 without the MS3x?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        I would see if MS3 can specifically support 1 solenoid/cam implementations.

Also, does MS3 support S54 cam wheels yet???
        it can easily do the M54. Simply set the cam input to "poll level". Setup your VANOS control (PID settings, PWM frequency). tune the intake and exhaust cam angle maps. done. :)

I'm trying to get S54 support added. it's hard since I don't actually have a motor to play with. :p
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't know why you'd build an MS3 without the MS3x?
          From what I'm reading I'm not exactly sure why I'd need the MS3x? This is going to be a daily driven car with only minor mods(headers, intake and a tune), I'm mainly Megasquirting it to get my feet wet for the big build, which will be a turbo M30 E30. If there's something I'm missing I'm all ears, I've got the money to spend, I just don't want to if I don't have to on this project, you know?

Comment

It looks like it's still a little under development, but Megasquirt has come a long way with MS3!

See http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/vvt.html

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
              It looks like it's still a little under development, but Megasquirt has come a long way with MS3!

See http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/vvt.html
              Yeah I read that it was in the alpha stages, I don't really know that I want to mess with something in such early development on a daily driver... This is what worries me:

Presently VVT is under development and has only a few installs. Before commencing any work on VVT, please consult the MSEXTRA forum and review the 'MS3 development' subforum for VVT discussion.
              This is a car I'm going to need to rely on(hell I already do), I'd rather not be a guinneau pig

Comment

From what I'm reading I'm not exactly sure why I'd need the MS3x? This is going to be a daily driven car with only minor mods(headers, intake and a tune), I'm mainly Megasquirting it to get my feet wet for the big build, which will be a turbo M30 E30. If there's something I'm missing I'm all ears, I've got the money to spend, I just don't want to if I don't have to on this project, you know?
                well unless you're going to run a single coil and batched injection, you'll need it for 6 coil outputs, 6 injector outputs, 3 wire ICV mode, etc. etc. An MS3 without the MS3x is just a faster MS2 with an SD card built in. it's also far simpler to build with an MS3x since you don't really need many of the motherboard circuits. you just plug it in.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah I read that it was in the alpha stages, I don't really know that I want to mess with something in such early development on a daily driver... This is what worries me:

This is a car I'm going to need to rely on(hell I already do), I'd rather not be a guinneau pig
                  whats your timeline? if it's tomorrow I can see your point, but it's not going to be alpha forever. Plus the VVT code is pretty well developed, they're really focusing on the serial code at the moment. If you're talking 6 months it'll be well stable enough to run on a daily driver (heck, it realistically should be now). And there are some major advantages to letting the ECU control it rather than an external box.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Every year or so (like now) I read about what's new in Megasquirt and I think it's becoming pretty freakin' amazing. The old batch fire, wasted spark stuff was kind of cool as a DIY but didn't seem like a real alternative to "proper" ECUs.

Looking at the new MS3 code and hardware I would run that in a heartbeat!

Comment

whats your timeline? if it's tomorrow I can see your point, but it's not going to be alpha forever. Plus the VVT code is pretty well developed, they're really focusing on the serial code at the moment. If you're talking 6 months it'll be well stable enough to run on a daily driver (heck, it realistically should be now). And there are some major advantages to letting the ECU control it rather than an external box.
                      It's this month!

Comment

well unless you're going to run a single coil and batched injection, you'll need it for 6 coil outputs, 6 injector outputs, 3 wire ICV mode, etc. etc. An MS3 without the MS3x is just a faster MS2 with an SD card built in. it's also far simpler to build with an MS3x since you don't really need many of the motherboard circuits. you just plug it in.
                        That sounds important. Supposed to have the order here tomorrow, I'll go ahead and order the MS3X board.

Comment

It begins.

Comment

Jimstim is built, MS motherboard is almost complete, just a few more components to attach then it's test time. I've got a lot of soldering experience but never on PCB's like this so it's had a little bit of a learning curve. My Hakko iron I usually use is great for guitar wiring but just doesn't cut it for small circuitry like this(and Frys doesn't carry any tips for it anymore) so I picked up a different model Hakko, worked out MUCH better. Hopefully will be able to complete testing tonight.

Comment

It works, I've plugged it into the PC, it's detected right away. Just waiting on the MS3X expander board, USPS delivers kind of late here.

Comment

What build intructions did you use?
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X