My 24v long term swap :) S54 I Love.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gobuffs
    replied
    The company I bought the Pectel from is from LA. Pectel is made by Cosworth. The GUI isn't that bad but it is written for an engineer, however the tuner has taught me a lot about using it so I can get my way around it. Plus he can remotely control modify it over the internet.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    stock it is! :)
    Or any lightweight dual mass, it's the dual mass that let's things live longer.

    Pectel is rare around these regions.... How is the GUI?

    I was also considering link g4 as I have support locally at FLi in Santa rosa and should be pretty good GUI, the prior ones were not excellent, the Dta instructions are British and pretty rotten.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    stock it is! :)

    Leave a comment:


  • gobuffs
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle
    Did you have a severe failure?

    My last unit did not have bottom end failure when stressed to 8400rpm and 170mph OVER, often times running very "experimental" mapping.

    EMS is still up in the air, I still have my Pnp Dta s100 harness which may be used, many other ideas have been floating in my reckless brain.

    Hoveringuy; I will probably be consulting with you for advice (if your schedule permits).
    Severe? Yeah, hole on 4 sides of the #4 cylinder (both sides and into cyl 3 and 5). I like my Pectel , but it isn't cheap.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    history
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 10:22 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    I suppose sticking to the stock flywheel isn't a bad idea on a relatively mild street build huh?

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    I haven't personally seen it happen, but it's been documented that the stock dampener tends to fatigue with age and heat cycles, so much so that GAC teams would replace them every 2 races.

    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.


    Granted, a professional race team would probably not be using a stock dual-mass flywheel, which damps some vibration.

    I guess VAC has an ATI piece coming out soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    There was a set on ebay for $300, tempting....

    What went wrong at 8400? I'd think 8100-8200 would be relatively safe?
    Nothing went wrong at 8400 with 100% stock s54. My last s54 had failed rings on cyl 4 and 4. I simply wore the thing out over hellish tuning stress and high speed pulls+dd over 6 months. I knew this would eventually happen also :)

    100% stock bottom end was fine. Street 91 car.

    I've seen s54's shoot rod out side of block on vac built s54 with vac wet sump setup. Weak point in that setup was the wet sump; body was prepped to hold too many G's!!!

    At 8400 rpm a stock s54 does NOT HAVE VALVE FLOAT. it feels like b18c5 at that range.....still going :)

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    so what did fail? valve float at 8400?

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK
    I believe if you spend a lot of time near 8K, the harmonic dampener tends to fail.
    On an s54?

    Stock e46m redline is 8k !!! Have you destroyed a harmonic damper in an stock e46m?


    I used a standard s54 damper and would go 8,000 OVER daily. No such damage to my former stock damper, I was running a dual mass fly though.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    what's "a lot of time"?

    Leave a comment:


  • FredK
    replied
    I believe if you spend a lot of time near 8K, the harmonic dampener tends to fail.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by surebimmer
    Terry Tinney in Livermore can Cam Doctor your cams. Not sure if that's what your looking for.

    looks like they could do it!

    Leave a comment:


  • surebimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle
    Consulted my machine shop today, they said nobody they knew local had the setup to do it, they had one but was broken, may ask Elgin cams up north.

    I may just fixture and dial gauge...... We will see ;)
    Terry Tinney in Livermore can Cam Doctor your cams. Not sure if that's what your looking for.



    Looks good. Will look better in a E30. I've been throwing the idea of a S54 around too. Still have more projects to catch up on.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle
    mmmm heavy duty engine setup tool fetish.... I kinda want a giant honda degree wheel setup also lol
    As you know it would be extremely helpful for vanos mapping. :)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-S...item27b96d1638
    Last edited by nando; 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...