My 24v long term swap :) S54 I Love.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jason89i
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    that makes me very scared of using a lightweight FW. have people had it on a stock FW though?
    flywheel is not the issue. heat is. apparently, you need to duct the balancer. I had my radiator pointed directly at it on a hot track day.

    jason

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    that makes me very scared of using a lightweight FW. have people had it on a stock FW though?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jason89i
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle
    wow looks gnarly- was it paired with single mass fly or dual?

    what were the symptoms?
    car is a 80% track car. single mass aluminum fly. stock '01 s54 running dta.

    the last track day (90deg) i had a student in the car. end of a long straight (usually shift around 8k.) I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel (throttle lift into the brake zone.) blip, downshift, i felt it again. eased off turn 1 and applied power at track out. major harmonic vibration. eased off track. major engine vibration at 2k and above 7k. serpantine belt walked 2 teeth off ALL pulleys.

    after getting it home, my buddy noticed the harmonic balancer had scrapings on the face against the timing hole (bracket thing.) pulled the pulley and bracket, top half of the balancer fell off.

    got a replacement, installed, still VERY SLIGHT motor harmonics. pulled the motor, rod bearings are walking on the crank. Have new rod bearings and arp bolt in route.

    i have been told by others that this is a common s54 problem. Can be solved through cooling ducts. ATI is making a replacemnt part, but have not been shipped to the states yet.


    cheers, jason

    Leave a comment:


  • xikyle
    replied
    subscribed

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Jason89i
    I have.....



    cheers, jason
    wow looks gnarly- was it paired with single mass fly or dual?

    what were the symptoms?

    Leave a comment:


  • Jason89i
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle
    O! Have you destroyed a harmonic damper in an stock e46m?


    .

    I have.....



    cheers, jason

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    history
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 10:23 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    history
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 10:23 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    neat. I wonder what a 2jz and a F20c on same setup would flow .. i will dig deeper :)

    Leave a comment:


  • hoveringuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle
    any idea where to find this head flow comparison? I'd love to see where its most efficient airflow range is charted out-
    Found it.

    For anyone that isn't familiar with Adam, he goes by PEI330ci and has put a tremendous amount of effort (and money) into developing primarily the M54 but also other DOHC engines.

    These are his data:





    The original thread is http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ad-Development Lots of other good charts and data there.
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by hoveringuy
    This still amazes me. I think Adam had a chart that compared how the heads flow on different BMW engines. S50 vs S54 vs M54 vs N52, I think.

    S54 clearly dominated.
    any idea where to find this head flow comparison? I'd love to see where its most efficient airflow range is charted out-

    Leave a comment:


  • hoveringuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle


    Port porn. Factory cnc finished

    This still amazes me. I think Adam had a chart that compared how the heads flow on different BMW engines. S50 vs S54 vs M54 vs N52, I think.

    S54 clearly dominated.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    history
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 12-28-2016, 10:22 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 328ijunkie
    replied
    Man. Youre crazy ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    For the marginal performance difference and much lower cost, I think I can live with the stock civility of the 28lb fw, especially if it possibly increases engine life.

    Leave a comment:

Working...