standalone s54 engine and DSC retrofitting into a e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    Didn't look like an ix to me. Just proves you have no clue and are too condescending for any of us to help you. There was no attitude in my posts, that all came from you.
    ohh really , apparently you are unable to read, here let me show you my quote again

Originally posted by e30ixBoost View Post
    if it works for a e30, it will be made to work for a e30ix. I promise you that.
    here let me show yours again

Didn't look like an ix to me. Just proves you have no clue and are too condescending for any of us to help you. There was no attitude in my posts, that all came from you.
    slowly think about it... if you still havnt caught on , theres nothing i can do for you

END

Comment

I guarantee nothing on that link applies to an ix. If you think so you are completely delusional.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I guarantee nothing on that link applies to an ix. If you think so you are completely delusional.
        u still going on with that train of thought, i wont be sucked into improper argumentative ends that meet your goals

you want to keep going this route, kicking and screaming, fine do it, if we all listened to you there wouldn't be any e30ix with 5 lugs.

A post from 'Simple' in e30tech
        --------------------------------------------
        e30ix front rotor height is 35mm (hat and rotor). Using a combination of the e30m3 rallye hats and the e30 sport rotors gives you a total hat and rotor height of 35mm and 5x120 pcd. The calipers supplied in the e30 sport kit bolt on directly to the ix calliper mounts and with the e36 hubs in the front, everything should be a direct bolt on with maybe a few shims with the calliper to everything perfect.

Other possible option I found is that the total height of a stock e30m3 rotor is ~40mm. As this is only +5mm over the stock rotor it may also work. I am not sure which calliper would be used, but I'm sure it would not be hard to figure out. This option would be muuuuuch cheaper than the above.
        --------------------------------------------

there are even those who ventured into the 1 series solution. Thank god those people didnt listen to you.

Comment

Lol, some of those posts you read were probably mine. Its funny you'd tell me about a thread that i contributed to more than a year ago as if you had some secret you could hold over my head.

I don't know what "goal" you think i have? I literally was trying to be straight forward and helpful.
          Last edited by nando; 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Lol, some of those posts you read were probably mine.

Comment

I was talking about the E30tech thread. sheesh.

and my other, earlier point was - there's no real benefit to 5-lug, other than looks. you could spend that money on a nice brake kit and shave off several pounds of unsprung weight. Any E30 BBK should work on an ix. The aftermarket kits also usually have the benefit of having cheaper consumables (rotors, pads) which is important if you're planning on tracking it a lot.

On the RWD cars it's not as much of an issue, because a lot of stuff just bolts up. But getting the wheels bolted up is only half of the problem on an ix. Aside from not being able to run as much tire (because the wheels will stick out further) you're still basically left with a custom brake solution, that in the end is heavier and inferior than a good race BBK. and if something breaks you can't just order a new one and be on your way, you'll have to remake it from scratch. Since it has to be custom anyway, why not just go with aftermarket brakes and 4-lug wheels?

The guys doing 5-lug on an ix do it for more of a project, or "just because" more than anything. or maybe they really want a wheel that only comes in 5 lug - but none of that makes any sense on a supposed dedicated race car, right?
              Last edited by nando; 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I was talking about the E30tech thread. sheesh.

and my other, earlier point was - there's no real benefit to 5-lug, other than looks. you could spend that money on a nice brake kit and shave off several pounds of unsprung weight. Any E30 BBK should work on an ix. The aftermarket kits also usually have the benefit of having cheaper consumables (rotors, pads) which is important if you're planning on tracking it a lot.

On the RWD cars it's not as much of an issue, because a lot of stuff just bolts up. But getting the wheels bolted up is only half of the problem on an ix. Aside from not being able to run as much tire (because the wheels will stick out further) you're still basically left with a custom brake solution, that in the end is heavier and inferior than a good race BBK. and if something breaks you can't just order a new one and be on your way, you'll have to remake it from scratch. Since it has to be custom anyway, why not just go with aftermarket brakes and 4-lug wheels?

The guys doing 5-lug on an ix do it for more of a project, or "just because" more than anything. or maybe they really want a wheel that only comes in 5 lug - but none of that makes any sense on a supposed dedicated race car, right?
                NOW that makes sense :D i honestly want anything greater then simple +1" extruding stance, so as long its near perfect of a stance of course so the transfercase and VC is naturally operating and under less stress. Defiantly no differences between front and back.

Any big break bolt on solution which would be rapidly available and especially easily found for replacement of tires and rims is mandatory. I was always picturing the need more so in the 1/4 mile drag, not so much racing. Anyway this is still early and most important is the ability to keep DSC. The argument it self lost its value a long time ago, as it ballooned out of control about the 5 lug :firehop:...

Comment

Anyway this is still early and most important is the ability to keep DSC
                  To answer your question Dynamic Traction Control simply can't work correctly on the E30 short wheelbase and semi trailing arm rear suspention

The semi-trailing arms have been criticized for the dynamic toe & camber changes inherent to the suspension geometry, causing bump steer in hard cornering situations (such as racing and autocross). This has contributed to the E30 as having a reputation for "tail happy" handling, where rear grip is reduced in certain situations, leading to oversteer.

Dynamic Stability Control is an innovative technology that combines the functions of traction control, braking enhancement, and cornering stabilization. DSC sensors continually monitor cornering-steering angle, transverse acceleration, yaw, wheel speed and brake pressure to instantly detect and correct loss of wheel traction due to slick spots, nasty weather, or emergency maneuvers. DSC helps you stay in control under all conditions, in any situation.

Comment

Originally posted by e30ixBoost View Post
                    NOW that makes sense :D i honestly want anything greater then simple +1" extruding stance, so as long its near perfect of a stance of course so the transfercase and VC is naturally operating and under less stress. Defiantly no differences between front and back.

Any big break bolt on solution which would be rapidly available and especially easily found for replacement of tires and rims is mandatory. I was always picturing the need more so in the 1/4 mile drag, not so much racing. Anyway this is still early and most important is the ability to keep DSC. The argument it self lost its value a long time ago, as it ballooned out of control about the 5 lug :firehop:...
                    you aren't going to sheer 4 high strength lug bolts in an E30.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a MK60 DSC III system fitted to my track car.

Soon to make a bolt on kit if there's enough interest. Also through a contact I am able to offer programming for the ABS ecu.

I'm also working on fitting the steering angle sensor to an E30 column to complete the DSC install.

In the UK there are a lot of S54 builds going on all of which want traction and speed sensor input so having the E46 ABS in and working is a must.

Any interest please contact me. It's early days and only small batch runs of kits are being made so only serious inquiries please.

Andrew

Andrew AT E30zone.co.uk | H23-is | S14

Comment

is your contact custom programming the ECU? flashing the CSL parameters?

you can do speed sensor input without DSC into MSS54, but not traction control of course..

I keep looking at DSC units out of E46s and people want way too much for the parts. I want to experiment with one if I can get it cheap enough to not worry about destroying it.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hi,

He is flashing a custom map which is far more suited for the E30 chassis and which surpasses the M track mode available on the CSL.

DSC units are very cheap here in the UK. You can get a complete working setup with connectors etc for around £200.

If fitting SMG in to the E30 at the same time as the S54 then DSC is essential.

It's worth the effort believe me.

Andrew
                          Last edited by demlotcrew; 06-23-2014, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by demlotcrew View Post
                            Hi,

He is flashing a custom map which is far more suited for the E30 chassis and which surpasses the M track mode available on the CSL.

DSC units are very cheap here in the UK. You can get a complete working setup with connectors etc for around £200.

If fitting SMG in to the E30 at the same time as the S54 then DSC is essential.

It's worth the effort believe me.

Andrew
                            Kool! I'll be back in this thread in a year or two... S54 swap in my future.
                            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                            Originally posted by roguetoaster
                            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Lots of progress with this, I managed to get the MK60 DSC to run standalone with Engine torque control disabled, all DSC function is now solely done by the MK60 by applying the brakes. No other E46 system is in the car ;) no error codes and soon to have completed a modified steering column to accept the E46 steering angle sensor.

Andrew

Comment

Steering angle in and working :)

Full LWS install on E30 column, for stand alone MK60, DSC, SM54 SMG and other E46 engines. See my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/bmwm3motorsport

Comment

Working...
                                X