Anyone fit a CSL airbox into an E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone fit a CSL airbox into an E30?

This may be a little redundant, having already ordered one, however I am curious of the fitment of a CSL airbox into an S54 E30.

The brake booster is not my question, as its been replaced by a pedal box, but I am wondering how the snout / opening of the airbox sits vis a vis the front headlight and ABS unit in the E30 engine bay.

Anyone have pictures or anecdotes to share?
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

is this a replica or a real one? there so many variations on the CSL airbox I think it would be hard to know for certain.

FYI I'm jealous. I will probably end up thermoforming my own airbox out of ABS plastic or something. Even a good replica is $3000. Not sure if I will try to use the internal CSL panel filter or just use a regular cone filter.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It is a replica, it's made by Karbonius. From what I see it's a very good replica, being 3D scanned from an original and then tweaked in a few ways.

It's a full prepreg, autoclaved thing with carbon trumpets. I need it in my life.
      I am number #12 in the production queue at the moment, so I will probably see it Feb / March next year.

Couple of snaps of the construction. So far beyond the VFT airbox I had for my euro S50. A whole other level.

I think it will fit, if you look how its positioned length wise in the E46 engine bay it doesnt extend much past the line of the water pump. I think it may need a little trimming on the cowl side (where the flapper valve sits) as its probably going to be quite close to the strut tower.

I will not be running the flapper valve, as I'm quite OK with it being raucous all the time.

Anyway, I guess it will be me answering my own question and I will post pics of any mods that I need to make.
      88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

You should buy this one that is designed to fit in an e30 and you'll be guaranteed a bolt in and easy install

Comment

Well, I am happy to report that a CSL airbox fits into an E30 engine bay so long as you have no brake booster :)

Comment

I fit mine with a booster, it was just a huge PITA.

Comment

Which booster?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
              X