Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 s54 swap A/C comp to radiator clearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 s54 swap A/C comp to radiator clearance?

Using the new style (thinner) z3m radiator and the end tank rests directly on the compressor. Couldn't imagine the thicker core fitting.

Anyone else have this issue? I'll figure a way around it, just thought someone had to come across it before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180509_115527-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	7252786

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180509_114508-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	7252787
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

is that an e30 compressor?

Comment

E30s don't have serpentine belts... so I'm guessing no. :p
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

E46m3 engine and compressor.

Ended up moving the engine back 3/4" which makes the head smash the firewall insulation. Will see about NVH, might be an issue with the m5 OEM mounts, but the owner was very against solid mounts.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

[ATTACH]121329[/ATTACH]
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

How exactly did you move the engine back 3/4"?

I think most people use the E36 compressor. Maybe it would have more clearance?

Comment

I used a large pry bar and shimmed it in place for now. Used a 3/4" piece of wood between the oil pan and sub frame. The compressor clutch now has about 1/4".

Not sure how the e36 compressor would make any difference as the belt will be in the same location and most AC clutches are similar in size. I have some at the shop. Took the day off today for a change, but can verify when I go back in.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

I used E36 compressor. Plenty of room.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Not sure how the e36 compressor would make any difference as the belt will be in the same location and most AC clutches are similar in size. I have some at the shop. Took the day off today for a change, but can verify when I go back in.
                  Originally posted by diesekte View Post
                  I used E36 compressor. Plenty of room.
                  I verified today the e36 (at least OBD 2cars) have a viscous coupler clutch, NON magnetic in the e36 (don't even use the same signal). Same EXACT dimensions as the e46 compressor clutch, and obviously same belt placement since they both work on the water pump and crank pulley.

What mounts/sub frame/drive shaft etc did you use??
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

....just an FYI, the e30 clutch with typical magnetic clutch makes another ~1/4" (~7mm) room. Problem is kick on signals. Perhaps I need to verify, but it seems to me, y'all are doing something different then I am, grrrrr :(
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

interesting that there are a few people running ac in their s54 swapped e30 without any issues...wonder how they did it lol

Comment

Bid for the chance to own a S54-Powered 1989 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,621.

This guy is running the E36 compressor as well.

I think its the radiator thats eating up the space. The mishimoto rad is a bit narrower because it doesn't have the plastic end tanks like the factory ones do.
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

It's definitely the radiator. The s54 block is physically the same size and have done my fair share of AC in swaps, but always just used the standard e36/e30 radiator or Mishimoto equivalent.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

"that guy" in the bring a trailer link is me lol. E36 compressor and E36 mishimoto radiator. Used the standalone can bus module and converted to r134. No stalling and AC was cold as hell even on the lowest setting

Comment

Originally posted by diesekte View Post
                              "that guy" in the bring a trailer link is me lol. E36 compressor and E36 mishimoto radiator. Used the standalone can bus module and converted to r134. No stalling and AC was cold as hell even on the lowest setting
                              Oh hai :crazy:

Beautiful car btw :)
                              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                              X