No announcement yet.

M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read through the whole thread last night and this morning - fantastic! Impressive how 'easy' you made it all sound. Hope to see more newer engine swaps like this and curious how the future N52 swap will go.
    sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

1/4 time

Dynos are great, but the 1/4 mile is the true measure of performance. It's the same distance everywhere.

Here are my numbers:

60'......2.042
      1/8.....9.122 at 77.39
      1/4.....14.057 at 102.95

14 jives with the et calculators for a 2900 lb vehicle with 210 whp. (yes, I account for 200 lbs..)

Comment

.......... things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmm"

---subscribed---

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
          Dynos are great, but the 1/4 mile is the true measure of performance. It's the same distance everywhere.
          tracks may be same length but some are not level, different altitude, different ambient conditions, different surface preparations.........
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            tracks may be same length but some are not level, different altitude, different ambient conditions, different surface preparations.........
            Yeah, but if I say it traps at 103 everyone knows what that means. Not like 215rwhp... was that on a dynopak, mustang or dynojet?

Comment

Yeah, but if I say it traps at 103 everyone knows what that means. Not like 215rwhp... was that on a dynopak, mustang or dynojet?
              That's true, but tracks don't exactly offer SAE correction either. ;)

Comment

103mph is not the same at all tracks in terms of how much performance it takes to reach that speed............so in a way its no different.....need to know density altitude, etc etc etc.

No doubt tracks are for judging performance and dynos for power but just like dynos its not as simple as comparing numbers....
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  103mph is not the same at all tracks in terms of how much performance it takes to reach that speed............so in a way its no different.....need to know density altitude, etc etc etc.

No doubt tracks are for judging performance and dynos for power but just like dynos its not as simple as comparing numbers....
                  You're splitting hairs and over complicating it, in all fairness. With the vehicle weight and trap speed you have an accurate enough figure using the time-honoured Moroso slide. The effect of "uphill" tracks and air density is bunk unless you're running a Group 1-level drag car. In my experience tyre pressures make far more difference than air temp humidity and if you're racing uphill at Eastern Creek or downhill at WSID

Sure, it won't tell you precisely how many .975436 of a kw you have but who cares, really?
                  Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Gratuitous engine pictures

Engine bay is looking cleaner!

Attached Files
                    Last edited by hoveringuy; 06-12-2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Looking good!!

Comment

Steve, were you on bangor on sunday??? I was in my buddies black e39 leaving work. It was about 3pm.

Comment

You are my goddamn hero. Got any sound clips with the euro headers?

Comment

throttle body

So I've been working on the electronic throttle to get a permanent fix to my M50 throttle body. The electronic stuff was working great when Michael Hoy in Denmark mentioned that he could make a throttle body to fit the M54 that would use M50 components.

His work is superlative!

My inital reaction was the that the larger bore made the engine much more responsive, but I think that was due to a quicker increase in airflow at a given throttle position. After a day of driving I've adjusted to how the throttle responds more quickly, but I'm convinced that the motor pulls harder.

My theory is that BMW probably tried a larger TB on the S50 but decided that 4 or 5 extra hp wasn't worth the trouble of manufacturing a new unit so they stuck with their existing parts bin. They went larger on all subsequent 3.0 litre engines including the M54. I think all S50s should have one!

Attached Files
                            Last edited by hoveringuy; 06-12-2011, 07:05 AM.

Comment

How much did that run you?

Comment

Is it just bolt on to the s50, steve?

Comment

Working...
                                X