No announcement yet.

M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are the big differences between this and an S50? Have you driven multiple swapped cars to compare?

Comment

So what are you doing with the engine harness/ecu setup for the M54 is you go S54? :D

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        You're power curve looks much different without VANOS and DISA, but 250 torque... holly sh!t.

Great job!
        that is because 250rwtq is not happening, do the maths on a 3L with those numbers and the specific torque output would have to be one the highest of all time
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by justice101 View Post
          So what are the big differences between this and an S50? Have you driven multiple swapped cars to compare?
          S50 has less bottom end. My car has more torque at the bottom end accelerates quicker off the line until around 5000 rpm, when the S50 feels stronger.

I've always felt that the M54 was a better street motor and the S50 is a better track motor.

S50 has a better head that breathes easier, but M54 DISA/VANOS make more torques.

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
          So what are you doing with the engine harness/ecu setup for the M54 is you go S54? :D
          I still need to purchase an S54, but the M54 would be sold.

If anyone ever wants to meet up you're welcome to take my car for a drive (within reason).

Comment

If anyone ever wants to meet up you're welcome to take my car for a drive (within reason).

So live in SOCAL THEN!

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              that is because 250rwtq is not happening, do the maths on a 3L with those numbers and the specific torque output would have to be one the highest of all time
              Attached Files

Comment

S50 has less bottom end. My car has more torque at the bottom end accelerates quicker off the line until around 5000 rpm, when the S50 feels stronger.

I've always felt that the M54 was a better street motor and the S50 is a better track motor.

S50 has a better head that breathes easier, but M54 DISA/VANOS make more torques.

Even with the ZHP cams?
                Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

250rwtq is about 295lb-ft @ crank. That would be about 98lb-ft/Litre which is just not possible in reality regardless of whether there is a printout that says it. The BMEP is too high. It would have to be the best NA engine every built to make those numbers.

Do the maths and physics, read off the graph the power is approx 193rwhp@5000rpm (by eye)

Power = Torque x rpm / 5252

Therefore Torque = 5252 * 193rwhp / 5000rpm = 202rwtq

The numbers don’t add up.

The power figures look normal maybe the rpm pickup is faulty or the curve is not rwtq but some other value.

Some times with dyno dynamics they convert rwtq to tq by correcting for coastdown losses (about 20% is a ballpark number) but there is usually a ‘S’ near the units to indicate this.

In any case the car doesn’t put down 250rwtq.
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

As a reminder, here's about the best I got. The M54 just doesn't flow that well and a bigger bump on the cam won't help that.

Does fantastic on the bottom but doesn't carry as well as an S50.

This is with ZHP cams compared to normal cams. I got a few more hp.

Here's my M54 vs an S50. Same dyno back to back.

Last edited by hoveringuy; 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the comparison. Good to see how the M54 compares to the S50. I'd like to see the torque curve of the S52 compared to these as well.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

(within reason).
                        Let me know when you are moving towards S54 and I would be glad to help in any way I can :)

*** i have a full set of s54 sensors here
                        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 06-01-2011, 09:26 PM.
                        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I reckon the better-flowing single vanos heads are why Alpina continued to use them even when the M54 had come out! The Z4 B3.3 is based on the M52 motor, not the M54!
                          Leo.

E30 318iS, E36 328i

Comment

I did get to use the benefits of the M54's torque to great advantage the other day.. raced an e39 540i.

It was a steep on ramp, about 7% grade, with two lanes that merged into one about 500 feet up. Stop light at the bottom.

e39 was behind me and I couldn't tell if he was just going to follow me up and be mellow or..

..try to blow by me in the right lane.

Light turned green, I took the left lane and he swung right and floored it for the kill on a hapless, old e30. Game on!

I floored it in turn at the bottom of second gear and the grade kept the rpms low in the rpm band for an inordinate time. DISA is magic in the 3200 rpm area. I stopped his pull and he slowly drifted back off my quarter. I saw the smug leave his face.

He conceeded the pass and trailed me into the merge, I slowed for traffic while he blew through the marbles and passed me to the left in the "no man's land" between the freeway and the on-ramp. A ricer fly-by!

The 540i is a 14.0 second car with tons of torque, so I felt pretty good about it. That's what I love about the M54.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo_328i View Post
                              I reckon the better-flowing single vanos heads are why Alpina continued to use them even when the M54 had come out! The Z4 B3.3 is based on the M52 motor, not the M54!
                              very true, I had forgotten about that car!

Comment

I am wondering how I can get this to smog in Cali. I would so love to run a M54 instead of traditional swaps.
                                CCW- when every second counts... The police are just minutes away!

Comment

Working...
                                X