No announcement yet.

N52 > e30 CAD templates for oil pan, engine arms, and other fun parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually measured at the crank pulley, so the pan is probably 10mm higher at the rack. I also don't know if the poly mounts will settle a bit, but I doubt it.

4qts drains and I suppose there's some trapped.

Hoveringuy, I'm the good-looking one and hubcapboy is the smart one....

Comment

I have been hearing decent things about Sendcutsend.com lately for online metal cutting & bending. I know you have said you don't have any interest in turning this into a business but have you looked into having a file format they can support?
      ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Caperix View Post
        I have been hearing decent things about Sendcutsend.com lately for online metal cutting & bending. I know you have said you don't have any interest in turning this into a business but have you looked into having a file format they can support?
        ​​
        I was planning to use sendcutsend, i have had good luck with them for my work, no bends yet though. They can take the DWG format originally posted, but you have to separate out each individual part, or at least only several parts in the same thickness.(You will have to manipulate the DWG somehow, is what i am trying to say.)

I can probably do something like this at some point, maybe i will put together a drawing package that can be uploaded by someone with no CAD experience.

Comment

I forget what gauge I used for the pan material, but I went a bit thicker than hubcapboy. 14 Ga? I had an "off"at the track and bashed it pretty good re-entering the track and it was nothing but a thing.

I also recommend a decent-sized bender, something that will crush your fingers if you're not careful kind of thing. Not the Harbor Freight variety. you want nice, crisp bends. Mine fit together like a perfect 3-D puzzle.

Comment

I know these pans sit higher than most swap pans, but a skidplate would be some nice added insurance at some point I think.

Since these pans are kind of one-offs and not *in stock* so to speak.

Maybe one on the market already would fit.
            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Feel free to continue any discussion of the files in the first post here, but here's a new thread to talk about a Rev2 oil pan to better coordinate with hoveringuy's new Z4 arm system.

Comment

Nothing new about the Z4 arms. The cool kids were doing that last year.... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by LukeJ View Post
                  Nothing new about the Z4 arms. The cool kids were doing that last year.... ;-)
                  I thought yours had been repositioned, as were CWLO's. I think I'm the first to try stock arms. You have moved the ball immeasurably!

Comment

Initially, I tried to modify the arms without cutting and welding. Then, once I discovered that I couldn't move the motor back as far as previously implied.... The window of rearward engine movement was then less than 1 inch. The machined adapter that uses the Garagistic poly mount is what came next. With the machined adapter, the arms do not have to be modified. The main difference between my car and yours at this point relating to this area, is my need for a fan behind radiator. The machined adapters move the engine back 1/2", giving enough space to fit a Spal 16" fan.

I believe you are the first to use stock arms and the motor mounts you found. Your engine sits 1/2" forward from mine and about the same height.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeJ View Post
                      Initially, I tried to modify the arms without cutting and welding. Then, once I discovered that I couldn't move the motor back as far as previously implied.... The window of rearward engine movement was then less than 1 inch. The machined adapter that uses the Garagistic poly mount is what came next. With the machined adapter, the arms do not have to be modified. The main difference between my car and yours at this point relating to this area, is my need for a fan behind radiator. The machined adapters move the engine back 1/2", giving enough space to fit a Spal 16" fan.

I believe you are the first to use stock arms and the motor mounts you found. Your engine sits 1/2" forward from mine and about the same height.
                      That's the problem.... there was never a "standard" position.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

That's the problem.... there was never a "standard" position.
                        Bingo.

Now you are the first swap in the "Standard position". Centered over the original E30 front subframe hole and slot.

Comment

Originally posted by plain325 View Post

I was planning to use sendcutsend, i have had good luck with them for my work, no bends yet though. They can take the DWG format originally posted, but you have to separate out each individual part, or at least only several parts in the same thickness.(You will have to manipulate the DWG somehow, is what i am trying to say.)

I can probably do something like this at some point, maybe i will put together a drawing package that can be uploaded by someone with no CAD experience.

You should try OshCut. They have been flawless with the laser parts I've had cut. They also do CNC bending now, and the parts I got back recently are perfect.

Comment

Working...
                          X