Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated Exhaust Discussion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Heeeeeey everybody.

    The flanges were drawn from a set of the factory e90 manifolds I'm still using as a wheel chock to stop an old truck from rolling down my alley. They're in the master "here's my stuff" DXF linked here:



    From memory mine were a little tight between two studs, but they fit and they work. The biggest challenge to adapting headers is the "neck-down" you can see in hoveringuy's post. These are necessary when using s54 header tubes for two reasons. 1. you've cut the old flange off, so the primaries are now too short and 2. the n52 gaskets aren't a flat gasket against the head... each primary has a waxy ring that sits around a short length of the primary that extends through the flange and into the head.

    I tried as hard as I could to get my hands on aftermarket headers to check fit, but I was pretty confident that all the factory and aftermarket options for the n52 would interfere (severely) with the control arms and bushings. I hope I'm wrong!

    Comment


      #17
      At some point when my project spins back up I'll be catching up with hoveringuy and the Z4 mounts. I'm concerned that there's a 50/50 shot that the headers I built won't work with them (ours are close but not identical). My plan if that happens is to use a kit like this and actually get them done right:

      GPHeaders' Custom Header Mockup Kit allows you to design a set of truly custom headers without the vehicle ever leaving your location.


      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by hubcapboy View Post
        Heeeeeey everybody.

        The flanges were drawn from a set of the factory e90 manifolds I'm still using as a wheel chock to stop an old truck from rolling down my alley. They're in the master "here's my stuff" DXF linked here:



        From memory mine were a little tight between two studs, but they fit and they work. The biggest challenge to adapting headers is the "neck-down" you can see in hoveringuy's post. These are necessary when using s54 header tubes for two reasons. 1. you've cut the old flange off, so the primaries are now too short and 2. the n52 gaskets aren't a flat gasket against the head... each primary has a waxy ring that sits around a short length of the primary that extends through the flange and into the head.

        I tried as hard as I could to get my hands on aftermarket headers to check fit, but I was pretty confident that all the factory and aftermarket options for the n52 would interfere (severely) with the control arms and bushings. I hope I'm wrong!
        Got it. thank you. The way the aftermarket headers don't hug the transmission make me think they won't clear the control arm bushing either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Striker.

        Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

        Comment


          #19
          A solid option might be to get a set of N52 euro headers and de-cat them. Or you could probably even leave the cat...

          Why didn't the US get these, I don't know.

          Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	10107996

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            A solid option might be to get a set of N52 euro headers and de-cat them. Or you could probably even leave the cat...

            Why didn't the US get these, I don't know.

            Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	10107996
            I think Lukej or hubcapboy tried to find those but weren't able to figure out the part number or which cars got them. I remember seeing them in one of their build threads.

            Comment


              #21
              Looks like 🇬🇧 UK has an equal length, or at least closer to it, aftermarket option. Not shipping to US though.

              Gravity Performance Manifolds are designed to be direct replacements for the OEM manifolds, ensuring smooth installation every time. Our manifolds ensure collect exhaust gasses from the cylinder heads, before routing the gases to the rest of the system. ---Manufactured from high quality T304 grade stainless steel ---Mandrel bent and fully TIG welded for strength and durability ---CNC machined flanges for strong, solid support and an accurate fit ---Direct replacement for the OEM manifolds ---No catalytic material so will flow much better and allow for more power Fitment ---BMW 3 Series E90/E91/E92/E93 323i N52 05-13 Models Please note - We are unable to guarantee your vehicle will pass an MOT with this item fitted.

              Comment


                #22
                Did some digging for the euro part numbers today and found these:

                18407568613 & 18407568614

                Catalyst rear 4-6 - 18407568614, 18 40 7 568 614, 7568614, B18407568614 - Fits on models: E90 E90 LCI E91 E91 LCI E92 E93


                Catalyst rear 4-6 - 18407568614, 18 40 7 568 614, 7568614, B18407568614 - Fits on models: E90 E90 LCI E91 E91 LCI E92 E93


                https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=VE31-EUR---E90-BMW-325i&diagId=18_0741


                Or if you're really trying to spend some money:

                -Peter
                '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                '91 318is slicktop project
                '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                '00 Tundra

                Comment


                  #23
                  Also stumbled on this nutjob with a homebrew Locost project that seems relevant. Dig deep for an ITB adapter as well...

                  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/brunton-stalker-m-spec-bmw-n52/149440/page1/

                  Click image for larger version  Name:	51191767388_0d8d3ed0ae_c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	171.1 KB ID:	10108402

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	50540465117_b4cc5b293d_c.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	10108403
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Habla; 11-13-2023, 10:49 PM.
                  -Peter
                  '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                  '91 318is slicktop project
                  '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                  '00 Tundra

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Here is the DXF for the header flange I created for my equal length headers. The three exhaust ports are about .015" undersize for my design because I put them on a fixture and bore them to exact dimensions. However, they could be used to attach to a set of S54 headers and work just fine. I had my flanges laser cut from 1/8" 304SS, but whatever works for your application will probably be suitable. I have always used OSHCUT for my laser cutting and now they do bending as well. I haven't had any problems with quality from OSHCUT and haven't needed to consider using another supplier.

                    Well.... I tried to post the DXF for the header flange, but the website won't allow me to do it. Would someone let me know what needs to be done to share this DXF to Rev. Thanks!!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Habla View Post
                      Also stumbled on this nutjob with a homebrew Locost project that seems relevant. Dig deep for an ITB adapter as well...
                      That's quite a lot of work! Pretty freakin cool Locost, I love seeing these extreme DIY projects.

                      Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Habla View Post
                        Did some digging for the euro part numbers today and found these:

                        18407568613 & 18407568614
                        Nice work. I searched ebay.de for every N52 vehicle and never came across those.

                        I can confirm the cheap AA look alike headers fit fine with the Z4 arm. The left side mount is scheduled for delivery this Friday, depending on my son's soccer schedule I may test fit the engine this weekend.

                        A couple things to note, these headers came with standard style flat gaskets, not sure if I should use them in addition to the donut ones or just stick with the donut gaskets. The additional gasket will help with clearance for the bell housing bolt hole on the block. The countersunk holes look like a few of them will need to be enlarged to get the flange nuts to sit flush.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	10108487

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by LukeJ View Post
                          Here is the DXF for the header flange I created for my equal length headers. The three exhaust ports are about .015" undersize for my design because I put them on a fixture and bore them to exact dimensions. However, they could be used to attach to a set of S54 headers and work just fine. I had my flanges laser cut from 1/8" 304SS, but whatever works for your application will probably be suitable. I have always used OSHCUT for my laser cutting and now they do bending as well. I haven't had any problems with quality from OSHCUT and haven't needed to consider using another supplier.

                          Well.... I tried to post the DXF for the header flange, but the website won't allow me to do it. Would someone let me know what needs to be done to share this DXF to Rev. Thanks!!
                          hubcapboy You have your files on Google drive or something, right? Can you host this DFX?

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                            A solid option might be to get a set of N52 euro headers and de-cat them. Or you could probably even leave the cat...

                            Why didn't the US get these, I don't know.

                            Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	10107996
                            I chased these for a long time. I don’t think they were on *many* n52’s in Europe. They certainly didn’t seem to be the default. I’ve ordered a lot of car parts from very weird countries just to see if they’d arrive, and I was never able to source a set of these.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

                              hubcapboy You have your files on Google drive or something, right? Can you host this DFX?


                              it’s in my master DXF file I linked from the other thread. I didn’t want to link directly because I didn’t want it to look like new work , but here it is. This has everything I’ve drawn and ordered that shows up in my posts… if anyone wants a specific part they’ll need to copy it out with a dxf editor.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I finally got my engine arms and test fit the engine. The cheap headers I posted above are going to need some work to fit. First of all the primary tubes that fit into the head were too long on 5 of the 6 cylinders and required a little trimming.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	10108864

                                The countersunk holes do not line up on all cylinders and will need some dremel or drill press work to get the nuts on and tightened.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	10108865

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	10108866

                                These headers do try an occupy the space where the CAB is, treehouse type may be fine if you want to go that route.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	10108868

                                Sorry for the poor picture here, hard to hold the header and get my phone lined up. With the flange against the CAB there is about 1/4 before the header will sit flat against the head. This rear set could've been tucked much closer to the front set.

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	10108867





                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X