Dedicated Exhaust Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated Exhaust Discussion

I've seen a few solutions in other threads about exhaust manifold solutions. I thought it would be nice to put them all into one place.

To my knowledge, I've seen three options

- Modify S54 exhaust manifold
    - Use factory N52 manifold
    - Modify aftermarket N52 header

It would be great if people can post what they've done here (maybe even link to the post). This seems to be the most difficult fabrication needed for this swap. Would be great to come up with a simpler solution.

I used S54 headers because all the BMW DOHC motors have the same cylinder spacing (outside the M30...) so I suspected they would work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	10107434 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	10107432 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	10107433 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	10107431

Comment

Advantages. They were CHEAP, I think I paid under $100 for them (still needed the flanges...). They're AWESOME, nothing like hydroformed factory tubing. They look baller.

Disadvantages. Alignment on the flanges that go into the ports is critical, if they get slightly skewed the headers are hard to fit. Interfere with the A/C compressor, routing is completely wrong to keep the A/C. "some assembly required"

To construct them I got short sections of the proper diameter tubing for the head, then expanded one side in a press so the header tubes would slip in (kinda like a swedge?) I didn't have the Z4 mounts when I fabricated these, I had to clearance the mount a hair but if I had fabricated them with the mount it wouldn't have been an issue. #2 runner also comes to within 10mm of the engine bay wall.

Other notes. I'm not a huge fan of V-band clamps particularly at the header. The flanges here are perfectly parallel so the exhaust mid section slides in cleanly. Makes exhaust work super-duper easy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.4 KB ID:	10107438 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.4 KB ID:	10107440 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.0 KB ID:	10107439

Comment

That is a very nice job. Lots of effort gone into that.

Comment

Perfect solution other than the complexity of fabrication. Has performance and retains AC. Would be nice if there were a simpler solution that did the same.

Comment

Originally posted by JRowe View Post
            Perfect solution other than the complexity of fabrication. Has performance and retains AC. Would be nice if there were a simpler solution that did the same.
            No A/C, #1 is in the way.

Comment

wow that looks good

Comment

Where might I be able to buy the $300 Polish headers that someone referred to in another thread?

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  Where might I be able to buy the $300 Polish headers that someone referred to in another thread?
                  Here are the ones I ordered. $315 shipped to OK.

Exhaust manifold for BMW N52 E90/E92 328i 2006-2011. Made of high-quality acid-resistant steel, made in CNC technology. TIG welded so welds are very strong and flexible. Perfectly fitted and planned after welding ensures an even plane of flange. Material: SS201 Wall thickness: 1.25mm Flange thickness: 12mm Kit includes a set of seals and screws. Annealed after welding treatment to reduce stress occurring in the material - does not crack as in the case of iron collectors.

I'm hoping they will fit with the Z4 arms, if they ever arrive.

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	10107768

Click image for larger version  Name:	0F310E17-2E5B-412D-8DB3-9C92F9A09490.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.9 KB ID:	10107753

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	10107766

Front set is very close to the engine block, not sure it it will be ok or not.

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	10107765

Rear is not even close with the stock 328i engine arms. I've tried every way I could think of to get them on, I'm either not smart enough or they just don't fit.

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	10107767

Last edited by Striker01; 11-05-2023, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Striker01 View Post

I'm hoping they will fit with the Z4 arms, if they ever arrive.

Rear is not even close with the stock 328i engine arms. I've tried every way I could think of to get them on, I'm either not smart enough or they just don't fit.
                    Here's where the engine mount bolt on my Z4 arm sits compared to yours, it's forward of the #4 cyl by 1/2-3/4" and probably close to 3" from the 328i in your photo. I don't see an issue there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	180.4 KB ID:	10107802

My merges look more like shorty headers than yours, yours extend back much further. mine are staggered front/rear a bit and yours are side by side. The real issue will be how these fit between the transmission and the CAB. As long as the merges clear you can always change the routing of the tail piece.

Your pipes almost look like they come down from above the CAB a bit. They may just fit as-is. Finding off-the-shelf headers that fit the e30 would be game changing!

I will also add that yours are potentially better because they are more equal-length. My forward bank has a longer secondary than the rear bank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.5 KB ID:	10107804 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.6 KB ID:	10107803 Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.1 KB ID:	10107801
                    Last edited by hoveringuy; 11-05-2023, 05:37 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=hoveringuy;n10107800]

Here's where the engine mount bolt on my Z4 arm sits compared to yours, it's forward of the #4 cyl by 1/2-3/4" and probably close to 3" from the 328i in your photo. I don't see an issue there.

That's good to know, I figured the Z4 arms were right around the #4 from pics, further forward is even better. These are advertised for an e90 328, I don't see how they would fit.

My merges look more like shorty headers than yours, yours extend back much further. mine are staggered front/rear a bit and yours are side by side. The real issue will be how these fit between the transmission and the CAB. As long as the merges clear you can always change the routing of the tail piece.

Yeah tail piece shouldn't be tough but if the collector interferes I'm in for a lot more work.

Your pipes almost look like they come down from above the CAB a bit. They may just fit as-is. Finding off-the-shelf headers that fit the e30 would be game changing!

That would be awesome!

I will also add that yours are potentially better because they are more equal-length. My forward bank has a longer secondary than the rear bank.

I just measured the from the cylinder to the collector to see how close they are to equal length.

1-40cm
                      2-34.5cm
                      3-27cm
                      4-34cm
                      5-36.5cm
                      6-34.5cm

front collector to flange-31cm
                      rear collector to flange-17cm

I don't know enough about exhaust to know how any of that will affect performance but it has to be better than stock manifolds and they were fairly cheap so worth a shot.

Comment

The e90 guys seem to report good experiences with those headers. Should work for our application as well. That’s what I’m trending towards using.

Comment

Originally posted by Striker01 View Post

Here are the ones I ordered. $315 shipped to OK.

Exhaust manifold for BMW N52 E90/E92 328i 2006-2011. Made of high-quality acid-resistant steel, made in CNC technology. TIG welded so welds are very strong and flexible. Perfectly fitted and planned after welding ensures an even plane of flange. Material: SS201 Wall thickness: 1.25mm Flange thickness: 12mm Kit includes a set of seals and screws. Annealed after welding treatment to reduce stress occurring in the material - does not crack as in the case of iron collectors.

Cool, thanks.

hoveringuy, where did you source the head flanges for your custom header build?

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Cool, thanks.

I think they were SendCutSend or similar. hubcapboy?

Comment

Cool, thanks.

If you're planning to order these headers, I will test fit them in my e30 as soon as I get the Z4 arms.

Been waiting 2 months on FCP Euro, tried another supplier yesterday that claims to have them in stock, we shall see.

Comment

Working...
                              X