• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of N52 Modifications and Performance

What does the future of the N52 hold?

one take:

: https://22rpd.com/blog/the-future-of...esting-sign-up

Facebook Group:

All N52 enthusiast, owners, prospective and past are welcome. Please feel free to enquire for BMW business advertising. http://mywikimotors.com/n52b30/ N52B30. A home for the last naturally...

I do recall multiple people talking about and wanting to go with velocity attacks or alternative intakes. What do you all see in the future?

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
    What does the future of the N52 hold?

I did all of my initial turning with Zach at 22RPD. I also had a TB delete at first, but couldn't get it to be stable and found that the engine was much smoother with the TB.

That's just a tuning thing, and Zach definitely has the chops to get it right. I don't see a huge difference beteen that intake and an N54 intake, the N54 flowed pretty damn well and I was pushing 275whp on his dyno with it. (He has an eddie curent dyno and although he swears it's been calibrated to match Dynojet, I think he's 5-8% high).

N52 is a pretty great design and the finishing is first-rate, compared to something like the M54 which is still rough cast. Plus bedplate crank is happy with higher revs.

There's lots of unexplored potential on the N52, for sure!

adam.nonis , anything to add on intakes.

Comment

Good stuff.

yeah I think my initial plan will be N54 intake to keep things simple.

But very intrigued by future developments.
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Having owned a couple of N52 E90s, these engines just love being pushed hard. The are quite happy with a slightly spicier tune, a nice flowing exhaust and a the 3-stage/n54 intake.
        ITBs are something I never touched on because they're too pricey, also supercharger would be interesting.

Comment

anyone do replacement cams yet?
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            anyone do replacement cams yet?
            It's not quite the same on an N52, they have variable lift to start with and by changing the geometry it's easy to go from 9.9mm of lift to 10.5mm. See https://www.bimmermilvs.com/

that doesn't take duration into account, obviously.

Also looks like they are coming out with a custom exhaust cam.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post

It's not quite the same on an N52, they have variable lift to start with and by changing the geometry it's easy to go from 9.9mm of lift to 10.5mm. See https://www.bimmermilvs.com/

that doesn't take duration into account, obviously.

Also looks like they are coming out with a custom exhaust cam.
              without the intake cam duration and more lift you're going to be limited in power. Is the reason that there is no intake cam available to date because of valvetronic?
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

without the intake cam duration and more lift you're going to be limited in power. Is the reason that there is no intake cam available to date because of valvetronic?
                Well, the Schrick N52 cams from what I've seen have a shorter duration on the intake cam and a higher lift for both I/E. The specs are 238 / 10.6 mm and 272 / 10.5 mm exhaust. The lift for both stock and aftermarket cams are fairly conservative, which to me, suggests custom pistons and higher valve lift could benefit the engine a lot. What's interesting is the N52 intake cam is 34.2 mm with a 5 mm stem, whereas the S54 intake cam is 35mm with a 6 mm stem, so ostensibly the stock valves aren't going to be the pinch point for power.

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

Well, the Schrick N52 cams from what I've seen have a shorter duration on the intake cam and a higher lift for both I/E. The specs are 238 / 10.6 mm and 272 / 10.5 mm exhaust. The lift for both stock and aftermarket cams are fairly conservative, which to me, suggests custom pistons and higher valve lift could benefit the engine a lot. What's interesting is the N52 intake cam is 34.2 mm with a 5 mm stem, whereas the S54 intake cam is 35mm with a 6 mm stem, so ostensibly the stock valves aren't going to be the pinch point for power.
                  Schrick dont have them on their catalog? and only seen them advertised by VAC (lol) im guessing 238/272 is a typo

Comment

Schrick dont have them on their catalog? and only seen them advertised by VAC (lol) im guessing 238/272 is a typo
                    yeah lol that's where I got the spec from. so who knows lol. What could the typo be? 338? lol

Comment

yeah lol that's where I got the spec from. so who knows lol. What could the typo be? 338? lol
                      268/272 would be my guess. From what i read catcams didnt want to develop a N52 cam(s) and the schrick ones seem to be non existant or a typo but who knows tbh.

IIRC i did read that people removed the valvetronic and then could use N54 cams? if you are building a high performance engine the valvetronic probably isnt heping you much. But in the end i guess you need to work out the end goals and how much the N52 is going to look like a lighter but less powerful s54.

Comment

That's the point of the MILV kit, it changes the rocker ratio to increase lift.

The cool thing about Valvetronic is that there's less lift at lower rpm's so you still maintain velocity (and torque)

Comment

But in the end i guess you need to work out the end goals and how much the N52 is going to look like a lighter but less powerful s54.
                          Bingo. A proper S54 swap is running 15 large. I weigh 100lbs (?) less and still make 250 to the wheels with a nice broad torque curve, in a motor that came out of a soccer mom car.

I feel like I could make an additional 50hp and be only slightly faster around the track as it is.

I even bought a low-mile spare a few months ago for $500 and that motor was pristine.

Comment

268/272 would be my guess. From what i read catcams didnt want to develop a N52 cam(s) and the schrick ones seem to be non existant or a typo but who knows tbh.

IIRC i did read that people removed the valvetronic and then could use N54 cams? if you are building a high performance engine the valvetronic probably isnt heping you much. But in the end i guess you need to work out the end goals and how much the N52 is going to look like a lighter but less powerful s54.
                            I think the N52 can support some real revs due to its robust bottom end. The real beauty of the N52 is that it's newer than any S5x engine, is lightweight, and is unbelievably affordable to replace.

Comment

I think the N52 can support some real revs due to its robust bottom end. The real beauty of the N52 is that it's newer than any S5x engine, is lightweight, and is unbelievably affordable to replace.
                              Compare the valvetrain and rev limit of the S55 to the N52, lemme know what you find...

also, the mechanical damping properties of magnesium vs steel (and aluminum..)
                              Last edited by hoveringuy; 02-18-2024, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X