Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to use SIR wheel bearing tool

Hey Guys!

I want to make sure I’m using the SIR wheel bearing tool correctly? Check my attached pics please….Do I have everything positioned correctly? No movement in the hub/wheel bearings when I tighten down with it set up this way and I can’t crank any harder then I am doing.

Something ain’t right!
    Attached Files
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

If you want to pull out the hub, you're not doing it correctly.

Insert the top part of the tool BEHIND the hub.

Comment

Thanks Vincenze! Problem with putting the top part of the tool behind the hub is there isn’t enough hub area to catch the tool to put pressure against the hub to push it out. And the horseshoe that attaches to the tool won’t fit over the back side of the hub.
      I’m not good at jigsaw puzzles!

In the video you linked it looks like a Mercedes hub and the tool is able to catch the hub and push it out.
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

I found a topic that shows how to use the SiR tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dtX27A.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	10061553

Comment

From that picture it looks like the tool actually PUSHES against the hub/strut housing instead of pulling the back of the hub. Will give it a try!
          Thanks!
          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Just to update the thread for future searches the method pictured in post the above was the ticket. Hub came right out although I will say that this would be MUCH easier if the strut was still mounted on the car. Juggling the weight of the strut and the tool makes it hard to manuever and line everything up.
            1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

For the price, SiR should've provided instructions.

Most people use a slide hummer for the job. It can easily be rented.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                For the price, SiR should've provided instructions.

Most people use a slide hummer for the job. It can easily be rented.
                They do provide instructions but they are kinda like IKEA instructions LOL.....very generic and pretty useless.
                Job is done. Wheel bearings were a bitch but the SIR tool definitely works well once you figure out how to use it.
                I'm happy to let anyone nearby (Rutland VT area) use the tool if they need.
                1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Rent the tool to recoup the cost.
                  Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                  BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Working...
                  X