19-20mpg normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19-20mpg normal?

I track my mpg religiously....and consistently get 19-20mpg w/ mixed hghway & NYC driving.

Just wanted to see if this was the norm for iX's. I was always curious how much less economical they were in comparison to the i & iS
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

I get about 27mpg mostly highway with some city with 89oct chip, 19# injectors, cone and M30 AFM. Auto on 4.10s My mileage is better if I keep it over 60mph
    88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - TOURING - waiting...
    89 325 IX AlpinWeiß - Gone
    88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted
    89 325 IX RoyalBlau - Parted
    88 325 IX RoyalBlau - Gone
    88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted

Comment

i get 21 in my is

The Build:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

My eta got awesome mileage with the 2.93 open diff. Then I switched to a 3.73 limited slip and the mileage plummeted. Price to pay to do 2 wheel burn outs and knock a second off the 0-60.

Edit: I probably get 20 highway becuase my revs are so high at speeds above 50.

Comment

it's a little low but NY city driving probably is what is killing you. you should be able to get 24-26 all highway.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Dude View Post
            Edit: I probably get 20 highway becuase my revs are so high at speeds above 50.
            Shifting to 2nd would probably help ;)

The 5sp IX's have 3.91's, so they wind up pretty high at speed too. I get ~21mpgs in mine all-around.

Comment

We pretty much get 25 MPG on highway trips with 4.10s and the auto trans.

Comment

Best I have ever gotten was 27mpg in my White 4-door 5-speed on the way to denver.

Around town I average 18-22 in my 5-speed and auto.
                Turbo e30 M52. Built Motor, GT3582r
                Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

Comment

Originally posted by turbo325i View Post
                  Best I have ever gotten was 27mpg in my White 4-door 5-speed on the way to denver.

Around town I average 18-22 in my 5-speed and auto.
                  Thats about what I get. I get on the lower spectrum if I let my car idle a lot in the morning when it is freezing. I did notice that on the innerstate I get virtually the same mileage as around town. I have a 3.91 and turn about 3300 rpm in 5th at 75ish. I guess that has something to do with it.

Comment

For what it is worth, I have noticed that the 325iXA gets much better mileage in the Summer even around town. In other words, Winter warm ups + town driving result in poor figures in the winter. I am curious to hear if this occurs with the 5-speed cars as well.

Comment

I track my mileage religiously in my ix as well, in the last year (10,000 miles) I have never seen 22 mpg in town driving. highway driving i get about 26 mpg

Comment

How are you tracking your mileage? If you are doing it by Odo it may just be a matter of it being off, giving you lower numbers. That is usually the first thing to look at when looking at data, which is how it is recorded.
                        "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

^ yep.

i know sometimes my odo will stop moving for a few miles and then pick up again.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                            ^ yep.

i know sometimes my odo will stop moving for a few miles and then pick up again.
                            Mine did the same and now has finally died, so i am just tracking it when I know the actual distance between the places i went in between fuel ups and calculating it that way.
                            "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
                              For what it is worth, I have noticed that the 325iXA gets much better mileage in the Summer even around town. In other words, Winter warm ups + town driving result in poor figures in the winter. I am curious to hear if this occurs with the 5-speed cars as well.
                              This is a great point! I would bet that the auto tranny takes a bit longer to warm up maybe... this is something to consider...

Winter causes poor mileage for many reasons... 1. Engine warm up takes longer. 2. Snow/rain causes rolling resistance. 3. In the winter people take shorter trips cuz they dont like being outside for long.
                              Turbo e30 M52. Built Motor, GT3582r
                              Watch my vids http://www.youtube.com/user/GrudgeRider156?feature=mhum

Comment

Working...
                              X