Switch to 173 DME from 153

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch to 173 DME from 153

I have squirreled a gray label 173 DME. My 1988 325IX currently has a green label 153 DME.
    From my research the PRO would be: Stomp Test as per this while the CON is potentially (unverified?) worse fuel milage. Additionally, there's no apparent compatibility issue and a IX DME is the same as non-IX as per this

I like the idea of "the latest and greatest DME" because in my mind there'd be no newer if the old was as good as it gets.
    I don't really see a reason to not do the swap however, I thought I'd ping the group and make sure I'm not missing something obvious (Possible, I can be shortsighted).

If it matters:
    The 173 is unmolested OEM, pulled from a standard E30.
    I have light green top, 4 pintle 17lb injectors.
    All warning lights are currently OFF on the dash.

Go for it :up:
    Or whiskey tango; don't fix what not broke :down:
    88 325ix, 72 Type 1, 81 Starlet

Originally posted by moto650 View Post
    I have squirreled a gray label 173 DME. My 1988 325IX currently has a green label 153 DME.
    From my research the PRO would be: Stomp Test as per this while the CON is potentially (unverified?) worse fuel milage. Additionally, there's no apparent compatibility issue and a IX DME is the same as non-IX as per this

I like the idea of "the latest and greatest DME" because in my mind there'd be no newer if the old was as good as it gets.
    I don't really see a reason to not do the swap however, I thought I'd ping the group and make sure I'm not missing something obvious (Possible, I can be shortsighted).

If it matters:
    The 173 is unmolested OEM, pulled from a standard E30.
    I have light green top, 4 pintle 17lb injectors.
    All warning lights are currently OFF on the dash.

Go for it :up:
    Or whiskey tango; don't fix what not broke :down:
    should be no problem, except potentially you'll need to add a 1k resistor to pin 17 of the C101 connector (early ix ABS systems sometimes had issues with the ABS communcation to the DME, there was a recall repair that was basically the same thing for cars with the 153 DME).

as you know, there's no such thing as an ix-DME. swapping it should take maybe 15 minutes, just give it a try. if the ABS light comes on then add the resistor.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      potentially you'll need to add a 1k resistor to pin 17 of the C101 connector
      Yes, pull signal a little harder to GND. If it comes on, I'll do that; thanks.
      88 325ix, 72 Type 1, 81 Starlet

Comment

I have done this had no issues.
        sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
        The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

i did the same this with my 88' no issues. Can't say anything for the abs casue mines never been connected
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
          X