Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front driveshaft guibo mod (fatter flex disc edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's purely to increase the amount of spline on the driveshaft. In stock configuration, a large section of the shaft is not even used. A thicker guibo pushes the shaft into the TC farther engaging more spline for a stronger connection.

Comment

I have found multiple part numbers for an X5 centering flange. They seem to appear visually identical, including the part suggested in this thread:

E53 X5 M54 3.0i: 26117507533
      E70 X5 N52N 3.0si: 26207567717
      This Thread (not specified): 26201227191

Does it matter? All the same price too (lowest I could find is $67) Only difference is availability of shipment from vendors
      Current State: '88 iX
      Two Doors, Three Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by tk32 View Post
        I have found multiple part numbers for an X5 centering flange. They seem to appear visually identical, including the part suggested in this thread: E53 X5 M54 3.0i: 26117507533 E70 X5 N52N 3.0si: 26207567717 This Thread (not specified): 26201227191 Does it matter? All the same price too (lowest I could find is $67) Only difference is availability of shipment from vendors
        To add to this, the centering flange that supercedes the older one can be used. I had to trim the centering pin in mine to get it to fit, but nothing more than like 4mm. I'm the picture you can see how I trimmed the new flange. It really wasn't much.

Comment

I figured I might as well post pictures of my iX with this mod. (been almost 2 years now)

I removed a bit more material at the flange, so I can push the hole axle even further back when fitting the centering flange and guibo. I didn't need to shorten the X5 centering pin.

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            I figured I might as well post pictures of my iX with this mod. (been almost 2 years now) I removed a bit more material at the flange, so I can push the hole axle even further back when fitting the centering flange and guibo. I didn't need to shorten the X5 centering pin.
            These are great pictures! Did you end up not using the torx bolt that goes where you trimmed on the lower housing? Or did just leave it out completely? Did you remove the lower housing to trim or do it on the car? The centering flange I used was PN 26117507533. I think the older ones were slightly different and didn't require trimming, but this PN specifically wouldn't have fit without the trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              These are great pictures! Did you end up not using the torx bolt that goes where you trimmed on the lower housing? Or did just leave it out completely? Did you remove the lower housing to trim or do it on the car? The centering flange I used was PN 26117507533. I think the older ones were slightly different and didn't require trimming, but this PN specifically wouldn't have fit without the trimming.
              Thanks! I decided to don't use the torx bolt as there is very little thread left anyway.. I don't see any harm IMHO.
              I did remove the brace so I could use an end mill on the manual mill at work to remove the material. I actually went a little bit too deep and the aluminium teared in one spot. I used some epoxy to cover the small crack on the inside (transmission side) so there is less chance that unwanted dirt/water can get to the flywheel/clutch.

I didn't know about the new part no's. I should have a look which one I got. I do remember getting a used centering flange from Ebay.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

You put the plastic cover back on the splines, right?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                  You put the plastic cover back on the splines, right?
                  I did!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                    I did!
                    I feel like you for an extra mm of contact on your spline than I got... :( LoL

Comment

It should be about 1/4". That's 33% more spline area. The stock engagement is only 3/4", it's clearly not enough - especially when the lubrication dries out..

is that molykote stuff still available? I still have my original tube. As long as it doesn't go bad, it should be enough for my entire lifetime, lol.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        It should be about 1/4". That's 33% more spline area. The stock engagement is only 3/4", it's clearly not enough - especially when the lubrication dries out.. is that molykote stuff still available? I still have my original tube. As long as it doesn't go bad, it should be enough for my entire lifetime, lol.
                        It's still around. Not cheap. You can get an 8lb bucket of the stuff for 1k... 5oz for 13 dollars. I think even that much might last a while.

Comment

Question about grinding down the flange.....I dont have air tools but I have a dremel. Can the job be done with a dremel and grinding wheel?
                          Thanks!!
                          89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
                          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
                            Question about grinding down the flange.....I dont have air tools but I have a dremel. Can the job be done with a dremel and grinding wheel? Thanks!!
                            It will take a while if you do it that way, but it's possible. It's only aluminum so the real issue is your grinding wheel getting clogged.

Comment

Looking to purchase the parts for this upgrade.
                              There are several brands of flex disc available including OEM BMW ($140), Meyle ($47), and Corteco ($41).
                              Are the non-OEM brands safe to go with?
                              89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
                              1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
                                Looking to purchase the parts for this upgrade.
                                There are several brands of flex disc available including OEM BMW ($140), Meyle ($47), and Corteco ($41).
                                Are the non-OEM brands safe to go with?
                                I think I went with Febi, so far so good..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X