No announcement yet.

E34 525ix info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen a couple pictures of the E34 t-case opened up - I don't think you can use any of the internals. It's similar in construction but things are a little bit larger.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by DC2NoVA View Post
      same here :(
      Here too!
      Drive it like you just stole it! :p

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        it would be really cool to take an e34 xfer case apart and compare the locking device and other internal components to an e30's.

pretty sure the e34 has an electrical plug on the outside of the housing that actuates the coupling magnetically.

it would be a lot to expect, but i wonder if parts could be swapped around between the two cases in order to perhaps make the e30 case stronger.
        Yes it has a two pin connector on the TC :)
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Just picked up a X5 E53 3.07 front diff, not sure if im going to use it yet but they are rare so i got it anyway :) Should be nice mated to a 6 speed, great top speed :)
          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

what are you going to mount it to? the ring and pinion won't fit inside the E34 diff, and you can't bolt it to the oil pan either. :(
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              what are you going to mount it to? the ring and pinion won't fit inside the E34 diff, and you can't bolt it to the oil pan either. :(
              Hoping it will work with a X5 M54 pan :)
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I dont thinks that will work with any 525ix parts though, like the transfercase. Its shifted more to the drivers side. Cant use 525ix front driveshaft or cv shafts either.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

so i have an e30 ix and iam looking for a to manual swap ....do you have e30 ix parts ?

Comment

I dont thinks that will work with any 525ix parts though, like the transfercase. Its shifted more to the drivers side. Cant use 525ix front driveshaft or cv shafts either.
                    Plan is custom shaft and cvs, 6 speed E90 xi box with a atc 300 tc. But i will try out the E34 parts first couse its alot easier :)
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I wish I'd seen this thread sooner.

I have the U-jointed front driveshaft figured out... it's actually quite easy. Don't worry about alignment.

The 4 bolt flange used on the E46 FRONT diff is the SAME pattern as the 4 bolt flange used on the older REAR diffs. That means that the Jags That Run U-joint yoke made for the BMW 4 bolt flange can bolt right up to the E46 front diff input flange. If you use that flange on the E53 diff, then you can build a u-jointed driveshaft very easily using 1310 series U-joints.

I would think that people would be interested in adapting the E30 viscous coupling to the E34 T-case to allow that driveline to be used without the electronics.

Comment

a guy on E30tech brought up a good point - you could make your own mount "towers", which are the brackets that bolt to the subframe, which sandwich the mounts to the mount arms themselves. you could make them so the center hole was 2" further forward and then RWD E34 mount arms would work.
                        "Guy" = me.

so my initial assessment of RWD E34 mount arms not fitting appears to be wrong - they line up with the ix mount towers pretty much dead on! I have a loosely fit together mockup sitting on the floor. No transmission, so I can't confirm yet that the engine will be in the "stock" position:

when I have a transmission I can check the relative location of the transfercase/transmission to the subframe. right now there's a very small gap between the rubber "bump stops" on the subframe and the oil pan. I can't remember if they're supposed to fit snug, or if there's supposed to be a gap - but with it snug up, the mounts are a tiny bit too far forward. these are also original 20 year old rubber bits so they're probably a bit deformed though.

other unanswered questions are mounting height of the engine and whether the mount arms actually reach the mount supports. but it looks like the geometry is at least correct, spacers could possibly be used to account for the rest.
                        I wish I'd seen these photos a while ago... I didn't realize that the E34 mount arms were so close... Any idea how the E39 mount arms compare to the E34 mount arms?
                        I believe the E34 uses the same mount locations for V8 and I6. The E39 uses different front subframes for the V8 and I6. I don't know if the V8 mount locations carry over from the E34 or not.

Have you compared the E34 oil pan measurements to these?

Originally posted by TheDarkSideofWill

E30 pan:
                        Bellhousing face to axle centerline: 10 1/8"
                        Bellhousing face to front of sump: 14"

E53 V8 pan:
                        BH face to axle CL: 10 3/4"
                        BH face to front of sump: 14 5/8"

E53 I6 pan:
                        BH to axle CL: 11 1/4"
                        BH to sump: 15"

For both the E53 pans, the block bolt pattern extends ~ 1/2" beyond the bellhousing pattern.
                        While the space required for the E53 pans is greater than that for the E30 pan, I believe that either of the E53 pans could be accomodated in the E30 body by removing the "snubber" mount on the back side of the crossmember. This frees up an additional 1"+ in which to fit the sump, without moving the bellhousing face back.
                        I'd like to see that info for the E34 pan.

Comment

I can measure my E34 IX pan when i have time :)
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Thanks!

Also, check this thread out: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116657

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              "Guy" = me.

I wish I'd seen these photos a while ago... I didn't realize that the E34 mount arms were so close... Any idea how the E39 mount arms compare to the E34 mount arms?
                              I believe the E34 uses the same mount locations for V8 and I6. The E39 uses different front subframes for the V8 and I6. I don't know if the V8 mount locations carry over from the E34 or not.

Have you compared the E34 oil pan measurements to these?

I'd like to see that info for the E34 pan.
                              Just checked..

BH to CL of axle:
                              ~11 3/8"
                              BH to front of sump:
                              15 1/4"

I think we figured out on E30tech from flyboyx's posts that the E34 axle centerline was further forward by some amount, I've just never had an E30 pan to compare mine to. I don't think 5/8" difference in axle centerlines is a show stopper in any case.

The sump looks like it can still work fine but I won't be able to use the engine stopper thing as-is.

I did some additional mock ups with some E30 ix engine mounts I picked up a while back. I'm not sure if using any factory BMW mount arms is really going to be worth it - maybe just fabricating some out of steel would be better/simpler. sometime next year I should finally have a transmission to do mock ups with.

I haven't confirmed but I don't think E39 mount arms would work either.
                              Last edited by nando; 12-05-2013, 11:14 PM.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Got the same measurments as Nando.

Just checked..

BH to CL of axle:
                                ~11 3/8"
                                BH to front of sump:
                                15 1/4"

I think we figured out on E30tech from flyboyx's posts that the E34 axle centerline was further forward by some amount, I've just never had an E30 pan to compare mine to. I don't think 5/8" difference in axle centerlines is a show stopper in any case.

The sump looks like it can still work fine but I won't be able to use the engine stopper thing as-is.

I did some additional mock ups with some E30 ix engine mounts I picked up a while back. I'm not sure if using any factory BMW mount arms is really going to be worth it - maybe just fabricating some out of steel would be better/simpler. sometime next year I should finally have a transmission to do mock ups with.

I haven't confirmed but I don't think E39 mount arms would work either.
                                What trans do you want?
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X