No announcement yet.

E34 525ix info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is interesting posts/photos, thanks alot!!
    I thought the E34 would fit no problem but i was wrong :P

I have a RWD E36 rack somewhere i could test later on, i think i also have to find a E53 pan to test fit the E53 diff.
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
      Yeah converted my measures and it said 11. something so i thought thats close enough :)

A M30 260 or a M20?
      neither. :D

unfortunately, the person who shared with me the information on what trans to use asked me to keep it to myself, or I'd just say it. :(

This is interesting posts/photos, thanks alot!!
      I thought the E34 would fit no problem but i was wrong :P

I have a RWD E36 rack somewhere i could test later on, i think i also have to find a E53 pan to test fit the E53 diff.
      it's probably worth a try. But I have the feeling that the E30 ix and E36 racks are similar in width, which is why it hits the differential.

looking at the E53 pan/diff - there are some definite advantages. lots more ratios (including 3.73 and 3.64 would would work better with the getrag), oil level sensor mount included (E34 ix has no level sensor that I can tell), of course you can buy them in the states, and there's lots more of them out there (not relying on a supply of rare, hard to find parts like with the E34).

drawbacks are the CV shafts don't mate up quite as well (E34 are nearly bolt on), and the front driveshaft would have to be custom built (u-joints etc).

I think since I already have all the E34 parts I'll continue down that path and investigate the E46 rack swap some more..
      Last edited by nando; 12-07-2013, 10:24 AM.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        neither. :D

unfortunately, the person who shared with me the information on what trans to use asked me to keep it to myself, or I'd just say it. :(

it's probably worth a try. But I have the feeling that the E30 ix and E36 racks are similar in width, which is why it hits the differential.

looking at the E53 pan/diff - there are some definite advantages. lots more ratios (including 3.73 and 3.64 would would work better with the getrag), oil level sensor mount included (E34 ix has no level sensor that I can tell), of course you can buy them in the states, and there's lots more of them out there (not relying on a supply of rare, hard to find parts like with the E34).

drawbacks are the CV shafts don't mate up quite as well (E34 are nearly bolt on), and the front driveshaft would have to be custom built (u-joints etc).

I think since I already have all the E34 parts I'll continue down that path and investigate the E46 rack swap some more..
        Ah ok no problem :) Are you running M20?

Yeah they should be, most people swap the E36 racks in RWD E30is, almost bolt on. I will try to find it and test later!

Yeah the E34 route seems the easiest way out, but i would really like the 3.07 gearing so if the E34 setup works great im sure i will work on a upgrade :)

Interesting with the E46 rack, im sure it has better steering ratio?
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand? the rubber mounts are centered, not offset?
          There are two holes in the tower, right? One for the stud and one for an alignment pin?
          Move the mount "down" the tower and drill one new hole... might put things narrow enough to work with E34 mount arms.

Comment

Ah ok no problem :) Are you running M20?

Yeah they should be, most people swap the E36 racks in RWD E30is, almost bolt on. I will try to find it and test later!

Yeah the E34 route seems the easiest way out, but i would really like the 3.07 gearing so if the E34 setup works great im sure i will work on a upgrade :)

Interesting with the E46 rack, im sure it has better steering ratio?
            Yes, certain models came with much faster ratios, i dont remember specifics, but a definite upgrade.

I stopped researching it because of issues with tie rods, but im thinking the trade off will be worth it.

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            There are two holes in the tower, right? One for the stud and one for an alignment pin?
            Move the mount "down" the tower and drill one new hole... might put things narrow enough to work with E34 mount arms.
            Oh i see now yeah, maybe - but it will definitely not clear the E46 rack like that.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yes, certain models came with much faster ratios, i dont remember specifics, but a definite upgrade.

I stopped researching it because of issues with tie rods, but im thinking the trade off will be worth it.

Oh i see now yeah, maybe - but it will definitely not clear the E46 rack like that.
              Been checking around a bit and it seems that the E46 rwd rack fits the E30 rwd pretty much as fine as the E36 one, so it should work with tie rods etc.

Or you can swap the whole E46 front end like this :D (rwd though)
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

E46 RWD crossmember bolts into E30 RWD? wild.

Comment

Been checking around a bit and it seems that the E46 rwd rack fits the E30 rwd pretty much as fine as the E36 one, so it should work with tie rods etc.

Or you can swap the whole E46 front end like this :D (rwd though)
                  http://server.pure-pf.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=405858
                  Yeah, but i dont think the RWD rack will work on an AWD subframe, and it would likely have the same diff clearance issues.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

E46 RWD crossmember bolts into E30 RWD? wild.
                    There are some mods needed but its totally doable :) Some mod to the rear wishbone mount as seen on the pics etc.
                    Yeah, but i dont think the RWD rack will work on an AWD subframe, and it would likely have the same diff clearance issues.
                    Yeah your probably right, hopefully we could get a E46xi to work on ours with tie rods etc since the rwd swap seems to work :)

Heres a friend doing a E36 awd compact build with complete E46xi front and M5 E39 rear, not finished but pics might give some ideas?

The engine seems to sit further back on the E46 so more space for the diff?
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

There are some mods needed but its totally doable :) Some mod to the rear wishbone mount as seen on the pics etc.
                      That's what I meant... the *crossmember* bolts in, but you still have to mod the lollipops or lollipop mounting locations to get them right.

Yep, but all of the interchanges are things to put in the memory bank.

Comment

That's what I meant... the *crossmember* bolts in, but you still have to mod the lollipops or lollipop mounting locations to get them right.

Yep, but all of the interchanges are things to put in the memory bank.
                        Ah, yes thats right. The crossmember only needs small mod to fit :)
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Havent tested myself yet, but on the pics it looks like the engine can go a little lower/closer to the crossmemeber/steering rack? If it can, would that help out the diff space issue?

One other way is to mount the whole front end assembly from the E46 XI :)

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

cool....
                            [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

No.. the oil pan already nearly touches the E30ix rack, it cant go any lower.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The engine seems to sit further back on the E46 so more space for the diff?
                                That's why you can't use an E46 xi oil pan in an E30. It puts the diff too far forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X