E34 525ix info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    No.. the oil pan already nearly touches the E30ix rack, it cant go any lower.
    Ok not good! If you moved the engine towards the rear 1" would that be enough?
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    That's why you can't use an E46 xi oil pan in an E30. It puts the diff too far forward.
    Yeah i thought it might help if you mount the whole E46 xi subframe but i guess the firewall would hit the engine pretty bad unless you mount the subframe more to the front, but that probably couses problems somewhere else :P
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Yes but the head will be inside the firewall - look how close the m20 head is already.

And if I move the engine, then the trans mount and shifter linkage will need modified too.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yes but the head will be inside the firewall - look how close the m20 head is already.

And if I move the engine, then the trans mount and shifter linkage will need modified too.
        It looks like it could be moved back 1-2 cm with the insulation removed? And maybe som gentle taps with a sledge it would be enough? :-)
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

yeah maybe. but I don't want to do permanent mods to my chassis..

I did beat the firewall to clear the headers, but you can't see it from outside or inside the car.

but if it's 2cm then there's definitely enough room to play around a bit. I want to get a pair of those cheap ebay tie rods to play around with the E46 rack
          Last edited by nando; 12-14-2013, 02:08 PM.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The E53 pan is going to be a tight enough fit... the E46 pan would just flat not work. The E30's relationship between the axle location and firewall makes sure of that

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 12-16-2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

yeah maybe. but I don't want to do permanent mods to my chassis..

I did beat the firewall to clear the headers, but you can't see it from outside or inside the car.

but if it's 2cm then there's definitely enough room to play around a bit. I want to get a pair of those cheap ebay tie rods to play around with the E46 rack
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E30-325i...e9bce0&vxp=mtr
              Ok sounds tempting! :) Yeah i really hope the E46 rack will work, the truck-like ratio of the stock E30 isnt very nice :)
              Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
              The E53 pan is going to be a tight enough fit... the E46 pan wool just flat not work. The E30's relationship between the axle location and firewall makes sure if that

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
              Yeah the E46 idea seems pretty undoable, hoping the E53 will work!
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

E53 front CV shafts are pretty cheap... anyone test fit them in the front ix hubs?

How could the ABS rings swap over?
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Per RealOEM:

The ID of the E53 wheel bearing is 41mm

The ID of the E30 wheel bearing is 37mm

While I would expect the E53 hub to be stronger and have thicker walls than the E30 hub, I would not expect that the E53 outer CV's would spline into the E30 hubs.

Comment

Yeah but the E34 has a larger bearing and hub than the E30, and the splines are a direct fit.

Just looking at pictures, it looks like it would fit but i hoped maybe somebody had already tried.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Interesting detail about the E34 stuff.

Haven't tried the E53 outer with E30 hub yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X