Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The E53 axle, and I assume the E70 axle, are already close enough to where they are in the E30 that I don't think you'll find anything better. Isn't the E83 similar to E87 and E90?

The E53 transitioned from the M62 to the N62 in 02/03... I @$$umed the M54 to N52 transition was similar, but I see by checking RealOEM that I was wrong.

The part numbers for the N62 pans used in E53 and E70 are different, but that doesn't mean there's much actual difference between the pans.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
      Does the X3 have something around 3 in the diff? But i assume those pans wont fit a M50?
      There are a decent collection of ratios available.

I *THINK* that E46 gears can go into E53 diffs.

E53 ratios: 3.07, 3.64, 3.73, 3.91, 4.10

E46 ratios: 2.35, 2.93, 3.07, 3.23, 3.46

3.07 and lower use "low ratio" case, 3.23 and higher use the "high ratio" case. The low ratio case has more clearance for a larger pinion.

If you want to use the E53 pan, you need to use the E53 diff case. If you want to use 3.07 or lower, you *probably* need to start with the 3.07 E53 case from the manual transmission X5 3.0d.

I don't know what's interchangeable once BMW went to welded crown wheels.

Comment

i have been looking at my e34 pan to see if it could be modded. the answer i seem to keep coming up with is that it would be pretty difficult. bolt spacing is one issue. you would either have to sacrifice one bolt to put it in the right spot or move it too far which would put the engine dangerously close to the radiator. modifying the subframe would cause the axles to hit the ears on the back of the subframe and also i think nisse pointed out the passenger side axle was a close fit with something else on that side of the car.

that pan is so complicated. i think it would take someone who is practically a rocket scientist to make the right cuts. i happen to have two e34 pans. i wonder if there is a way to make offset cuts in two pans to fit it all together without having to piece in aluminum stock to fill in the gaps that would be left over?

in any case, it would probably be best to just sacrifice one bolt hole where the axle goes through and mod the pan?
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

yeah I think so, that was sort of what I had been thinking. it needs to be moved back like 1.25".
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            yeah I think so, that was sort of what I had been thinking. it needs to be moved back like 1.25".
            Or the rack needs to go forward ;)

Comment

I'd been thinking modifying the oil pan is the path of least resistance. but yeah, the rack could move.

I might take the plunge and pick up an E70 oil pan to see how it stacks up. of course there's still the issue of CV shafts.. the E34 shafts are obviously one of the simplest to use out of the box.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nando, please do a Honda CR-V K24/K20 hybrid.

Originally posted by whysimon
                WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

It's next on the list!

should still take less time than somebody's S54 swap. :p
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      There are a decent collection of ratios available.

I *THINK* that E46 gears can go into E53 diffs.

E53 ratios: 3.07, 3.64, 3.73, 3.91, 4.10

E46 ratios: 2.35, 2.93, 3.07, 3.23, 3.46

3.07 and lower use "low ratio" case, 3.23 and higher use the "high ratio" case. The low ratio case has more clearance for a larger pinion.

If you want to use the E53 pan, you need to use the E53 diff case. If you want to use 3.07 or lower, you *probably* need to start with the 3.07 E53 case from the manual transmission X5 3.0d.

I don't know what's interchangeable once BMW went to welded crown wheels.
                      Ok thanks! I have a E53 3.07 diff waiting in the garage but I don't know how to use it yet... :P
                      Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      i have been looking at my e34 pan to see if it could be modded. the answer i seem to keep coming up with is that it would be pretty difficult. bolt spacing is one issue. you would either have to sacrifice one bolt to put it in the right spot or move it too far which would put the engine dangerously close to the radiator. modifying the subframe would cause the axles to hit the ears on the back of the subframe and also i think nisse pointed out the passenger side axle was a close fit with something else on that side of the car.

that pan is so complicated. i think it would take someone who is practically a rocket scientist to make the right cuts. i happen to have two e34 pans. i wonder if there is a way to make offset cuts in two pans to fit it all together without having to piece in aluminum stock to fill in the gaps that would be left over?

in any case, it would probably be best to just sacrifice one bolt hole where the axle goes through and mod the pan?
                      A E34ix subframe swap might be a good idea, I'm checking that out right now.
                      That will solve alot of problems! But the steering coupler doesn't seem to line up like the stock rack does..so that's one new problem :P
                      Any good ideas on that?

Will post pics later with subframe "test fitted"
                      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
                      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

make an adapter. that's what I was going to do with the E46 rack. I have an E46 M3 steering shaft and I need to find a non-airbag 325ix steering shaft to use on the other end.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

here's an idea so bad it might work..

E70 X5 pan (N52) isn't going to work, comparing these pictures side by side it's obvious the X5 diff centerline is about 1" further forward:

Additionally, CV shafts are a concern with anything other than E34 parts which we know will work fine with the E30 front struts/hubs.

However, the E34 pan possibly needs modified anyway, and the modifications it requires look difficult. But, it appears the bolt spacing in the area around the shaft centerline/diff mount is similar between X5 N52 and E34 ix pans. It looks like I could move it back 1 bolt grouping rearward. here's my terribly scaled mashup of what it might look like:

of course these images are scaled so I don't really know if the bolt spacing is as close as it looks or if the bottom of the block is even the same width.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Which one's the E70 pan?

I don't think those photos are good for comparison... the perspective and lensing is very different.

Comment

the lower pan

either way you can tell the E70 diff centerline is significantly more forward than the E34.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's what I thought, but the fact that your E34 pan is REALLY REALLY clean threw me off.

So you're talking about franken-panning the front of the E70 pan onto the back of the E34 pan? What does that accomplish?

Comment

Working...
                                X