replied
    Going to make me whip it out, eh?
    E90 335i DZ:

E60 LCI 550i BZ

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
    Nope... at least not per the ETK at RealOEM. Six cylinder cars got the DZ and 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. E60 & F10 V8's got the BZ, E60 & F10 535i's got the DZ, E90 335i's got the DZ
    GS6-37BZ (new designation according to BMW Group Standard GS 90007)
    G drive
    S Transmission type. S = Manual transmission. A = Automatic transmission
    6 Number of forward gears
    - = Standard with manual gearshift. HP = Hydraulic planetary gear
    37 Transmission type. 26 = D-transmission. 31 = C-transmission. 39 = F-transmission. 37 = H-transmission. 53 = G-transmission
    B Gear set. B = Petrol/gasoline gear ratio. D = Diesel gear ratio
    Z Code letter of transmission manufacturer. G = Getrag. Z = ZF (Zahnradfabrik Friedrichshafen)

Leave a comment:

• iXguido
    replied
    Even the e90/e91 335d was offered as a manual over here if I'm not mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• iXguido
    replied
    I haven't found a diesel with a manual transmission after the E46
    They're everywhere overseas.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    I haven't found a diesel with a manual transmission after the E46

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Nope... at least not per the ETK at RealOEM. Six cylinder cars got the DZ and 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. E60 & F10 V8's got the BZ, E60 & F10 535i's got the DZ, E90 335i's got the DZ

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Here's a .pdf with (modest) info about the T-case: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e7...Powertrain.pdf

Also, I was just looking through RealOEM to see which applications had the GS6-53BZ and which had the GS6-53DZ. It looks like the 6 cylinder turbo cars got the DZ and the 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. I'm not entirely sure of the ratios, as I can't find consistent info on them on the internets.

I *think* the case is that the DZ has 5.03 first and 0.84 6th, while the BZ has 4.03 (or 4.30?) first and 0.87 sixth. If I have both because I need the 6 cylinder rear housing with the 8 cylinder front housing, I should be able to build my desired gearset with the tallest gears. Interdasting.
    BZ is petrol and DZ is diesel if im not mistaken?

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Here's a .pdf with (modest) info about the T-case: http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e7...Powertrain.pdf

Also, I was just looking through RealOEM to see which applications had the GS6-53BZ and which had the GS6-53DZ. It looks like the 6 cylinder turbo cars got the DZ and the 8 cylinder cars got the BZ. I'm not entirely sure of the ratios, as I can't find consistent info on them on the internets.

I *think* the case is that the DZ has 5.03 first and 0.84 6th, while the BZ has 4.03 (or 4.30?) first and 0.87 sixth. If I have both because I need the 6 cylinder rear housing with the 8 cylinder front housing, I should be able to build my desired gearset with the tallest gears. Interdasting.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Originally posted by mw044 View Post
    Xdrive transfer case actuator has hall sensor on the motor axle (20 pulses / rev) and directional sensor that tells the direction the motor is rotating. Also there's temp sensor etc.

There is no actual position information available without some mathematics. However - I'm going to install position sensor on the actuator axle that turns the transfercase axle. That way it hopefully can be controlled with autronic (this is not my strongest area :D)

I'm probably going to use speed sensors in rear diff (original) and another one at the front diff (maybe at the pinion flange). Then maybe control it with slip% (if it reacts fast enough) or just to be locked all the time when @ WOT. And I really do hope that it never ever opens during WOT. That could be catastrophic. When I tested the car with rwd only there was zero traction @ wot no matter what speed. :D
    You could set up the SM4 traction control to act like a backup if the AWD malfunctions :)

Leave a comment:

• mw044
    replied
    Xdrive transfer case actuator has hall sensor on the motor axle (20 pulses / rev) and directional sensor that tells the direction the motor is rotating. Also there's temp sensor etc.

There is no actual position information available without some mathematics. However - I'm going to install position sensor on the actuator axle that turns the transfercase axle. That way it hopefully can be controlled with autronic (this is not my strongest area :D)

I'm probably going to use speed sensors in rear diff (original) and another one at the front diff (maybe at the pinion flange). Then maybe control it with slip% (if it reacts fast enough) or just to be locked all the time when @ WOT. And I really do hope that it never ever opens during WOT. That could be catastrophic. When I tested the car with rwd only there was zero traction @ wot no matter what speed. :D

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
    I think there's a sensor in the actuator motor so the TC controller knows where the actuator is.
    I would try to control it directly with the ECU and front/rear speed sensors like my traction control setup for example.
    I can be wrong since I haven't looked interesting the xDrive yet but I think mw044 has :)
    Yeah, it looks like a DC motor with an encoder... not hard to drive.
    I was hoping there were speed sensors on the front and rear outputs, but I guess the OE controller gets wheel speed data over CAN. For mine I could pirate the VSS in the rear diff and maybe install a pickup on the front drive sprocket teeth inside the unit to see front shaft speed.

In building my own controller, I'd be able to set up a launch function. I envision this as pushing a momentary switch for 3 seconds with the vehicle stopped or at a very low speed, which signals the controller to go to 100% lock and maintain that until vehicle speed rises above 15 mph (for example).

I plan to use an accelerometer to map lockup vs. lateral or longitudinal acceleration. I might eventually try a steering angle sensor for a little more input.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    If I were going to run a $3000 ViPEC, I'd definitely have it handle the T-case.

An MSS52 with a tune should be fine for me.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Right now I'm planning to use the stock MSS52 to run the S62.
    Oh ok, then something like you said makes more sense :)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Right now I'm planning to use the stock MSS52 to run the S62.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    I think there's a sensor in the actuator motor so the TC controller knows where the actuator is.
    I would try to control it directly with the ECU and front/rear speed sensors like my traction control setup for example.
    I can be wrong since I haven't looked interesting the xDrive yet but I think mw044 has :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X