X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Lol...
    It's one of the things that defines where the engine ends up; I figured I should have it on my crossmember.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Oh ok, it wasn't installed on my ix when I got it :)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Yes... wasn't working in a big enough window when I posted that :p

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Nr 15?

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    The CMM data I had taken in 2014 didn't include the positions of the bolt holes that attach the "snubber" to the crossmember. It turns out that gizmo needs to move as well.

The snubber is #15 here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0020

However, it actually installs with the rubber toward the back of the car instead of pointing up.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 05-31-2018, 07:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• downforce22
    replied
    looking like a good start

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Since my iX needs new rod bearings, which requires removing the crossmember, I'll take that opportunity to test some features of my swap crossmember.

I'll check that the swap crossmember bolts to the body, has engine mount points correctly located and moves the rack forward the desired amount. Moving the rack *MAY* interfere with the part of the oil pan that shrouds the oil pump chain drive... hard to tell until I do it.

I was ALSO wondering about the possibility of mounting an E36 M3 rack on my bespoke crossmember... But pictures on the internet make it look like it's likely too thick in the middle to fit under the iX oil pan (or E34 oil pan or E53 oil pan...), although that would be fun. The E36 rack also can't be rotated, which is something I expect I'll need for the iX steering rack to be used with the E53 FDA.

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    The iX crossmember weighs 17 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    unfortunately, it sounds like we won't be hearing about it.

sounds like a nice collection of parts though

Leave a comment:

• Chrisbike
    replied
    Turns out it isn’t ok with him for me to post the info on this swap yet, wants to make sure it works first. Sorry
    Last edited by Chrisbike; 02-03-2018, 10:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrisbike
    I’m sure this has been covered but just Incase. I have a local buddy building a 325iX s54 with some cool drivetrain setup. I’ll post pics soon. He’s just starting to build the pan.

E83 3:64 diff
    E83 diff lower pan
    S54 pan
    E83 inner stub,e60 center shaft/ outer stubs
    E46 rear hub
    4 month production G260 from 520i with iX rear cover. Matches the angle of the S54
    Got any measurements on that E83 pan? Is he going to use E30 ix hubs?

edit: NVM - axle centerline looks pretty much the same as all the other late model BMWs (much too far forward). Not an S54/M54, but the N52 X3 pan is a different part number but looks pretty much identical to the E60/E90 version. Bummer.
    Last edited by nando; 01-31-2018, 10:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nisse Järnet
    replied
    Interesting :)

Leave a comment:

• The Dark Side of Will
    replied
    Because the S62 should have the torque to pull top gear in a light car and get great mileage.

LS1 Camarobirds have a 0.50 sixth and 3.42 final, so even a little taller overall ratio with taller tires in a heavier car with an engine that probably doesn't make as much low end torque and they cruise fine on the highway in 6th.

Also, I've been told the E39 M5 is geared stupid low with a 3.15 rear. A friend of the guy I bought my engine from said he went to a 2.65 and was very pleased with how much calmer the car was on the highway. He regained lost acceleration with headers, ported throttles and bolt on mods.

In the available front diffs, it's either 2.35, 2.47, 2.93 or 3.07. I think 2.93 would still be shorter than I'd like.

And the GS6-53BZ still has a 4:1 first, so I'll have plenty of punch off the line.

I have the 3.07 E53 unit... it looks like it actually uses the same case as the 3.64 domestic unit. I'll compare the 2.47 E46 front with the 3.23 domestic unit I have so see if they use the same case, then I'll look at installing the 2.47 in the E53 case. If that works, I'll snag a Quaife for it and have a stupidly expensive front diff.

The M20 has an incipient rod knock.
    200k miles on it... BMW small sixes seem to be unkind to their rod bearings.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 01-11-2018, 06:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• flyboyx
    replied
    2.47 is awfully high. why not something around 3.00?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X