Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice list! But there are more ratios actually, but maybe euro-only models. (3.07 X5 and 2.65 E60 for example)

Yes im using ZF and a turbo :) My RWD E30s top speed is around 193mph so the ix will feel slow :P But im going to start with the 5 speed ZF and 3.38 just to get it running, with 17" wheels im hoping to reach around 165-170mph @ revlimiter.
    E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
    E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I know zip about the E60 front drive parts. I do know that for the E70 and beyond, BMW went to welded crown wheels, like in the rear of the E90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
        So what do you think? Does this look right?:) (except the firewall haha)

Do you have a side view of this?

I guess if we're building a custom crossmember, also building custom control arms won't be a big deal.

Also, the E34 pan has the axle a full 1.25" further forward from the bellhousing than the E30 pan... so the axle's in about the stock location now, but the entire engine has to move forward 1.25".
        Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 04-01-2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Not on that side and not a very good pic, im away from home this week but i can take more pics on saturday :)

E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

-- 2x 31121126254 outer ball joints. Meyle or Lemfoerder
            -- 2x 31121126253 inner ball joints. Meyle or Lemfoerder
            So I understand these ball joints can't be used in an iX because they're too small.

Is that because the body is too small for the control arm, or the shank is too small for the knuckle/crossmember?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              a few years ago I went through and looked up every front diff ratio I could find:

Code:
              E30 ix	4.10	3.91	3.73	3.64				
              E34 ix	3.38							
              E46 M3	3.62							
              E46 ix	3.91	3.46	3.23	3.07	2.93	2.35		
              X5	4.10	3.91	3.23					
              X3	4.10	3.91	3.73	3.64	3.38	3.07	2.93	2.81
              E60 ix	4.10	3.73	3.46	3.23	2.56
              there are definitely ratios that you could use more favorably with the ZF and I assume a turbo if you want something that tall..
              Nice list! But there are more ratios actually, but maybe euro-only models. (3.07 X5 and 2.65 E60 for example)

Yes im using ZF and a turbo :) My RWD E30s top speed is around 193mph so the ix will feel slow :P But im going to start with the 5 speed ZF and 3.38 just to get it running, with 17" wheels im hoping to reach around 165-170mph @ revlimiter.
              IIRC, the E53 X5 3.0d manual transmission uses 3.07 gears. I *think* this is the "large pinion" case that will be needed for running taller ratios. That's the tallest available in the E53 case.

The E46 330xd uses 2.35 with manual transmission or 2.93 with automatic transmission. I *conjecture* that these gears will fit the E53 case and carrier.

If you're dedicated to using the E34 pan... good luck.

Or maybe you're just going Frankenpan ;)

This has been on eBay for MONTHS, so maybe you can talk the guy down in price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220905120264

Comment

don't you think changing the entire suspension is a little over the top? lol

also, that makes your car illegal for many racing classes - most of the time for a "street" class you can't change suspension pickup points.

I'm thinking of sending my E34 to tinyT and see what he thinks. Maybe it's possible to cut the pan and move it back 1.25", or alternatively graft the diff mount area onto an S54 pan.

on your control arm question though, you can buy ix ball joints individually (from Napa) so it's possible if you wanted to.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If it all bolts together, why not?

I didn't know the iX ball joints were available individually either.

Moving suspension pickup points is verboten in many racing classes, BUT one may be able to argue that the change in location does not affect the *function* of the geometry and get a waiver. IE, moving the inner ball joint up would change the roll center and camber curve, while moving them forward doesn't change anything.

If I'm doing a custom crossmember AND custom control arms, then I'd use something more serviceable than the BMW ball joints for the inner.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                    IIRC, the E53 X5 3.0d manual transmission uses 3.07 gears. I *think* this is the "large pinion" case that will be needed for running taller ratios. That's the tallest available in the E53 case.

The E46 330xd uses 2.35 with manual transmission or 2.93 with automatic transmission. I *conjecture* that these gears will fit the E53 case and carrier.

If you're dedicated to using the E34 pan... good luck.

Or maybe you're just going Frankenpan ;)

This has been on eBay for MONTHS, so maybe you can talk the guy down in price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220905120264
                    I got a X5 3.07 front diff in the garage :) So i might go with X5 pan later but then theres other problems with drive shaft and CV shafts so ill start with E34.
                    I think 2.65-2.93 would be best!

What was the problem with fitting another ratio in the E34 front?
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

The E34 pinion bearings are closer together than they are on the E46 or E53 gears... so the later gears would have to be machined down to fit the E34 case.

Comment

yeah, the pinion is too large in diameter and the ring gear is too thick. it's not physically impossible but you'd have to have somebody competent in machining differentials do the work.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Ah ok, i suspect that the diameter is a bigger problem than the thickness? Hmm best way might be E34 outer CVs and lets say X5 pan + diff with X5 inner CVs and custom axles.

Do you guys think the splines in the TC is long enough to be used with a custom u-jointed front drive shaft? (use almost the whole spline length and just stick it in there) Or will it cause unbalance?
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Do you guys think the splines in the TC is long enough to be used with a custom u-jointed front drive shaft? (use almost the whole spline length and just stick it in there) Or will it cause unbalance?
                            That's actually exactly what I want to do with my 332iX... Use the aftermarket extended spline shaft to make a fixed output flange and built a u-jointed diff which would bolt to it.

The E53's use a 3 bolt flange for a guibo, but the E46's use a 4 bolt flange that fits the same driveshaft fittings as the rear diff 4 bolt flange.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              That's actually exactly what I want to do with my 332iX... Use the aftermarket extended spline shaft to make a fixed output flange and built a u-jointed diff which would bolt to it.

The E53's use a 3 bolt flange for a guibo, but the E46's use a 4 bolt flange that fits the same driveshaft fittings as the rear diff 4 bolt flange.

Have you seen these, Will ?

Why You Might Need One. When doing a V8 swap into a BMW, the BMW U-joint is non-serviceable and requires special machining to replace. Stealth Conversion’s heavy-duty BMW driveshaft conversion flange has the same bolt pattern and pilot dimensions as the stock BMW driveshaft flange, but it uses the road-tested Dana 131
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I have, in fact. I am planning to use 1 in each driveshaft in my 32V swap.
                                I'm using a BW 4472 T-case, so I'll have non-BMW fittings at the T-case ends.

Comment

Working...
                                X