Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the critical component would be the mount studs for the diff. you obviously can't move those outside of the oil pan..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had a look again and I think you could move it 1 bolt hole back. the dipstick might be a challenge but honestly I'm not sure I even require it, once I have my cluster working and oil level sensor installed I can read the oil level on the cluster.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah i think a hole would be easiest. The dip stick probably could be moved somewhere :)

Any tips on removing the outer CV from the axle? (I assume E34 is the same as E30) It looks like a normal c-clip but it doesnt feel good to just hammer hard on the joint :P
        E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
        E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

How about an oil sight tube on the side of the pan?

Something like this:

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

You wouldn't be able to see it.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Found out a strange thing when going through and cleaning all the axles and CVs, i have 7 E34ix outer CVs and 6 of them is like the one to the right but one of them is different? The casting/machining looks different as you can see.(left one)
              Makes me wonder if some previous owner replaced it, but you cant buy them from BMW?
              Click for larger image.
              E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                Sweeet!

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                i looked at e34ix mount arms. seems like i remember they fit on the block too far back. i remember they didn't work but can't recall why.
                Still have them?

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                oil pan: i am coming to the conclusion that i agree with chris on the subject. i am now of the belief that probably the best solution would be to see if the dif section can be cut away and rewelded aft about 1.5".

i liked the subframe idea, but don't see any feasibility in modifying suspension points. that one crosses the line from my point of view.
                Obviously, I think the opposite. Once the decision has been made to build the crossmember, moving the ball joints becomes easy. I have a design in my head which would make the control arms for relocated ball joints very easy to make.

You cant move the diff too far back either (~2cm i think) because it will interfere with the gearbox. Maybe you can cut a little in the gearbox though.
                That's the thing... Guys notch pans for M60 swaps all the time (well... compared to how often M60 swaps are done), and somebody builds pans from scratch for LS swaps.

However, I surmise that with the E34 sump, the diff can't move very far back for the same reasons that the driveshaft can't be spaced back... it will interfere with the structure of the pan that mounts the bellhousing.

Going to an E53 pan that spaces the diff out far enough to clear the bellhousing would solve that problem, but moving the diff back on the pan is still a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  I'll finally have my new Getrag 260 for mockup in the next couple months. I didn't see anything with the diff that would stop me from moving it back - it would basically be in the same position as the E30 diff - but I didn't see how the CV shaft would hit the subframe either. :p
                  Isn't the E34 diff longer than the E30 diff? And the E46/E53 units longer still, due to spaced out pinion bearings?

Comment

Found out a strange thing when going through and cleaning all the axles and CVs, i have 7 E34ix outer CVs and 6 of them is like the one to the right but one of them is different? The casting/machining looks different as you can see.(left one)
                    Makes me wonder if some previous owner replaced it, but you cant buy them from BMW?
                    Click for larger image.
                    Bead/sand blasted by a rebuilder?

Whoever made them for BMW probably made similar ones for other cars... Someone knowledgible in the cross-reference could make the substitution.

Maybe there were multiple production runs of the joint.

Comment

The E34 engine mount pads on the crossmember are EACH inclined about 15 degrees inward.
                      They are about 4 degrees front high (tilted back) compared to the FRAME RAILS. As my E34 is wrecked, I don't know the inclination of the frame rails when the car is on its wheels. I'd guess that BMW would design similar frame rail angles into both E30 and E34.
                      The E34 M30 mount is 2.580" tall.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                        Bead/sand blasted by a rebuilder?

Whoever made them for BMW probably made similar ones for other cars... Someone knowledgible in the cross-reference could make the substitution.

Maybe there were multiple production runs of the joint.
                        I will take a closer look but i dont think its sand blasted.

I really hope that theres some other car using the same outer :) But it might be as you say, different productions or something.
                        E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          I had a look again and I think you could move it 1 bolt hole back. the dipstick might be a challenge but honestly I'm not sure I even require it, once I have my cluster working and oil level sensor installed I can read the oil level on the cluster.

if you move it too far the engine will be in the radiator.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I wouldn't move the engine. it'll be in the same location as the M20. what I'm talking about is moving the diff back, which would allow me to locate the engine in the proper location.

the primary concern there I think would be header clearance. The bolt spacing is about 2 3/8" so it would be about 7/8" less header clearance than we have now.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OBTW... not sure how much some of you get out of the BMW community, but building crossmembers from scratch is not uncommon elsewhere...

LS1 FD3 RX7's from Hinson

or Granny's

LS1 Miatas like Vorshlag's

Or stock replacement crossmembers for nothing more than weight reduction, with a huge variety of options for steering racks, engine mounts or other components:
                              Leader in High Performance Suspension and Chassis Products For American Muscle Vehicles.

BUilding a new crossmember--and even moving the suspension pickup points--is not really that big a deal... it just needs to be done intelligently.

Comment

my trans is done! $1500 but it has all new internals (synchros, bearings, shifter forks, etc). the funny part is now I have a brand new transmission for an ix but it only works with a 24v motor. haha. So I guess I'm pretty much stuck with a swap unless I decide to sell everything. :p

Still gotta pay for it and ship it here. But possibly this summer I can make progress on mockups, modified oil pan, and motor mounts. maybe next year I can start thinking about picking up a motor..
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X